Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Ha! I bought 3 of the brown there yesterday, I'm also in Castle Rock. Very new to hammocking, I'd be interested in how you modify them for TQ or UQ. If/when you do, please PM me if you don't mind, I'd love to see in person how to make these work

Quote Originally Posted by BigBubbaJ View Post
    They had a ton of them at the Park Meadows Costco in South Denver yesterday. I bought four - all brown. Will keep two.
    Ha! I bought 3 of the brown ones from the same Costco yesterday, and also live in CR. If you don't mind, please PM me if/when you do some modifications to them, I am very new to hammocking and would love to see in person how to make the modifications. Thanks!

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    unless they bust me with my buddys card, non member

creek
    most of the"club stores" will let you purchased things on a one time only basis without a membership. Just ask at the service desk
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar
    The local Costco here has a couple hundred in stock. I picked up a couple and threw one in the dryer with three tennis balls on low heat to get max loft. The loft after fluffing in dryer is 1.25" here are photos of the lofted throw next to a 25 degree Jacks are Better Nest for comparison.
    IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

The weight of the throw is exactly 15.75 oz on my scale. The material is very slick and soft which feels much more like my Argon Incubator than 1.1 ripstop. I would guess it is more like .67 oz per yard. I purchased the Nest for a Summer UQ and had to immediately pull it to the side on a South Carolina summer evening in the 70's and only pulled it under me at about 5:30 and it was still far warmer than needed.

The throw has 12 baffles from side to side and my plan is to cut two baffles off the side to get it to about 48" wide and 13.11 oz which should be about a 50 degree quilt if it were not sewn through. Sewing a channel along the top and bottom and putting shock cord through should be all that is necessary to then use it as an under quilt set up the same way as the nest. See this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCK-Wfzg7WE

I am hoping that this will be what I need for a Carolina summer UQ. Since I also have an Incubator I will sell this virtually new nest for $200 plus shipping if anyone is looking.
    Last edited by Wlb007; 09-18-2015 at 08:43.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler Double-Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Costco Throw UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySpec7 View Post
    Thanks norman60546!

Quickly rigged 1 of the 2 I bought to take this weekend. I ran 550 paracord between the stitching with a wire hanger. Attached some cord locks and I'm good to go.

Total cost... $25.00

I'll let you guys know how it went after the weekend. I may have the corners sewed in and reinforced...
    Hey there--did you just shove the hanger thru the stitching at each sewn square? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Ok, being a complete hammock noob, I'm officially asking for some advice from those who know. For these blankets, how should I go about converting them to a TQ and UQ? Please correct me if I'm going astray, but here's my plan so far:

UQ: I was thinking that for the UQ, just use the thread injector (love that name!) to simply sew four channels on all four of the edges with grosgrain, leaving a gap of 1/2 inch or so where they each meet in the corners. Insert shock cord in a continuous loop in the 70" dimensions for suspension. Insert shockcord and cordlocks in the 60" dimension for snugness to the bottom of the hammock. Sound good, goofy, wrong?

TQ: Given that I'm 72" and the blankets are 70", it seems that a foot box is necessary, plus most TQs seem to have them anyways. Also, at 60" wide, I think the blankets are about 12" wider than necessary for a TQ. So... I plan to sew a new seam just to the inside of the 2nd row from edge, and remove two rows of squares the entire 70" length. Then, use the removed squares to construct a foot box bottom, and sew up about 18" of one end of the 70" length forming the footbox.

great find! although im a sams member

I picked up a few extra. Pm me if you don't live near a Costco and would like one. I'm asking cost plus shipping plus $5.

Hammock
    DHThunderbird 72
    Tarp
    Green Monster
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Plenty were available in th Saint Paul Minnesota area as well.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 40*
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    B. 40 all -in-1
    Suspension
    web straps/buckel
    Images
    Thx for the heads up, although I think I might have missed the boat on the down throw, there are options! I noticed an abundance of coats and vests. Has anyone sowen together a few of these guys for an UQ or TQ? I'm not sure if I saw that here or on youtube? I'll post a link once I find something worth while
    "Ramble on Baby, Settle Down Easy..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast