Tarp
    Integ Desig Poncho
    Insulation
    TQ:goLite20 UQ:tbd
    Suspension
    KvlarStrp n MuleTp
    Images

Tree Strap Bite on Cedar Tree. Ak!

I recently did a test hang on a Cedar Tree. When I pulled the straps off I saw this...

I don't have my own backyard so I have been testing in the local parks so I'd like to leave as little damage as possible.
    They where 1 inch straps... Just wondering if there are some trees that might be a bit more on the soft side I should look out for before hanging?
    Been looking into adding sticks, doubling up straps and perhaps wider straps.. Any ideas or suggestions on how to prevent marks like this would be great. Thanks. ~Cnugget

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I didn't know cedar trees were soft. I generally avoid cedar trees for one reason: you never see a downed limb; just a downed tree. Here in New Jersey, Atlantic cedars have virtually no limbs, and they always grow in swampy areas so I just avoid them at all costs.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    What was the angle of your suspension?
    It looks more like it's just a superficial imprint on the bark. Doesn't necessarily mean there is damage to the underlying cambium layer. I'm no expert mind you but it's difficult to assess damage to any tree without examining under the bark. Hope someone else can say with more certainty.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Cedars in my area have a soft flaky kind of bark that damages easily. I avoid them whenever possible. A wider strap may help but it would still leave evidence I am guessing.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    That ain't bad. In a few days that won't even be noticed. Don't sweat it.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have hung on many a cedar and did see a mark like that but upon returning to hang there again a year later or so could not find evidence.
    Woodpeckers and storms and such do much more damage out there in the backwoods.
    Gotta go with your gut on these type situations I reckon.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    The last three posts Have it right

Looking at the bark on that that tree, you will mark it no matter how wide yer straps.....it is just a mark though, not damage. Perhaps not ideal in your local park mind

Quote Originally Posted by Sunndog View Post
    The last three posts Have it right

Looking at the bark on that that tree, you will mark it no matter how wide yer straps.....it is just a mark though, not damage. Perhaps not ideal in your local park mind
    I suppose that therein lies the problem: the fact that it could look like a problem to someone even if it really isn't! I suppose the only answer is to avoid creating even the perception of damage, to the extent possible, in highly visible locations.

Unfortunately, I could imagine someone in a position to restrict hanging in, say, a state park would get all over something like this as "evidence."

Virtually impossible to not leave some marks at times, even if they do no harm. I can only see it really being an issue, if a tree were to be used repeatedly over a period of time, that some long-term visible "damage" might occur.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Any chance that was a Kevlar Strap? It seems odd that poly or mule tape would leave such a strong edge line on the top and bottom of the tree scuff.

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker Single
    Tarp
    Integ Desig Poncho
    Insulation
    TQ:goLite20 UQ:tbd
    Suspension
    KvlarStrp n MuleTp
    Images
    @SilvrSurfr: I will keep my eye on the fallen ones.. but those seem to be more cottonwoods than cedars, unless a crazy wind storm comes along.

@bubba: Pretty sure the hang was over 30 but as a noob, I could be wrong.

@webhanger: I'll be learning my tree types. Yesterday, I felt like a kindergartner identifying a cedar when I saw one... (Cedar, not cedar, cedar, cedar, cedar... not cedar). Going to avoid if possible especially in hi visible spots.

@SGT Rock: I might just swing by on my next outing and have a look see. Won't sweat it, just surprised.

@Shug: No fatal damage sounds good to me, just want to minimize the looks so no one will take offense while at the local park. Most people that see the hammock turn curious, so I wanna make sure I'm keeping things squeaky clean round the public'n all.

@Sunndog: Yes, I'm curious about the larger straps if they would also cause the same type of damage. My guess is yes but.. I'll be experimentin

@TominMN: Yes the first impressions are lasting ones, hence my caution round the public. This tree was off the beaten path and not in a state park.

@heywoodja: Yes it was a Kevlar Strap. They do seem to have a softer hand so perhaps more chance to move instead of grip a tree but... I did test a poly 1 inch down on a farm cedar and noticed a similar effect. So my guess is that cedars are just plain soft... at least the ones on the smaller side(less than 2' round?). Perhaps size of the tree matters as well....hmmm

Thanks all for your suggestions and thoughts.. I will continue to ponder and mull.
    ~Cnugget

• + New Posts