Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    ALL HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First time ive been on the forum in about 2 months....my october is completely shot....Been dying to get back to stokes but i am going to have to pass as well....any chance of a winter hang at stokes this year!!!! I no Jeremy is going to be booked up early next year with "things" but maybe February?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Hey guys, we are def going to MAHHA, but would love to try to make this too. Have to check the calendars and look at things first before I can 100% commit though. Congrats to Jeremy and Matt!!! Stokes was the first group hang we went to and that was such a good time, def would like to try to make it. Also, the smaller group hangs are where you REALLY eat!(you know I'm cooking SOMETHING if we are there) As far as a winter hang, I know Kristen is out on those, but I'm in on that.... Nov she "may" still be in...
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images

Stokes Oct 2015 - Info Thread.

THIRD ANNUAL STOKES STATE FOREST HANG
    OCT 23-25, 2015
    HASKINS GROUP SITE H

Stokes Info & Links: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...ks/stokes.html

Link to Signup Sheet.

What: The tradition of the October Stokes Hang started 2 years ago when Knotty & JollyGreen wanted to plan an event in the area for those who couldn't make it to NEHHA or MAHHA. Being aware that many parents have commitments on Halloween, the weekend before has generally worked out. The past two versions of this hang have been at the Steam Mill site, however because our preferred site (T216) was booked I am moving the hang.

Where: This year we will be hanging at the HASKINS GROUP SITE H. My wife and I spent the weekend at Stokes recently and went around to every site in the place out of curiosity, and also to see what may and may not work for future hangs and took videos of the more promising ones

Compared to Steam Mill:

• No hill.. but very deep, tons of trees, does goes back to Flatbrook for those than want to sleep in seclusion near flowing water.
    • The blue blazed trail runs along the back of it on the stream, so we can direct hike-in/out
    • Larger fire pit, larger picnic table, and larger area for pop-ups..
    • 2 charcoal grills
    • Restrooms and hot showers are 100yd away
    • More site parking - if we can responsibly fit them, they're okay. I'm guessing the number is ~8-10 cars.
    • All other group sites in area are large fields; one closest to site (G) is currently unreserved, could be used for demos, frisbee, whatever.

Cost: Managing costs this year will be much easier. I recognize that with extra sites reserved last year for parking and offering people to submit large ticket food items the cost was way higher than expected. Other than what's laid out below, no other costs will be collected for. Fixed costs are $50 for the site, $100 wood, and extra parking only matters if we get a large turnout. So fixed costs are $10-15/pp. Meals are TBD, but group menu would likewise be $10-15/pp.

Site: This year the site is $50 total for both nights. No other site reservations are required.

Parking: Officially we can have 4 vehicles. Per park office, rangers are generally accommodating with cars as long as they responsibly fit on site - so due to the fact that we'll be hanging and won't need the area for tents I'm estimating we can fit 8-10 vehicles without issue. Extra cars that don't fit can be parked at the front office for $5/night (which is cheaper than prior year approach of reserving extra sites for overflow).

Firewood: Firewood delivery is being explored - if you know of anyone in the area who can deliver PM me. Otherwise we'll make arrangements and ask for volunteers to pickup wood on their way in as needed. If necessary, Dales has $8 bundles, the park office has $7 bundles which are cheapest in the area, some households have permits to sell wood from the forest which usually goes for $5/stack but it's often not seasoned and/or wet.

Meals: Going to leave this as TBD for the time being until we get a head count. In the past some people have liked to contribute a special dish, which I would suggest could be incorporated into a group menu. Also this year we are formalizing a new meal in our group camping menu: MIDNIGHT SNACK!! See signup sheet for more details.

Bathrooms/Showers: As mentioned above, this year we have sinks, flush toilets, and showers nearby with hot water. They're generally in good shape, flip flops advised.

Dogs: Unfortunately dogs are not allowed, as with all these state campgrounds. Please see the official Stokes site for all their rules. This forum is not the place to debate the state regs.[B]

Other Info: Cell phone coverage in Stokes is pretty good. There's a market (Dales) just south of the park entrance on 206 to get sundries. There are some places further south with a selection of adult beverages.

Activities: Besides the usuals, Ratdog had a post in the MAHHA thread outlining some great ideas for demos/workshops/etc. This has inspired me to suggest that we have a Show-N-Tell!

Show-n-Tell: What do you want to share, show-off, get ideas around? There's a section on the signup sheet for this, I've indicated a few I'll bring to share, some other examples could include:
    • Wood burning stove setup & playtime (I'll have 4 with me)
    • DIY projects/sharing - hammocks, fabrics, etc. (I'll have a hammock stand, several sheet bend fabrics - bring more!)
    • Master nesting course - bring your hiking cook kits so we can see what fits with what.
    • Dutch Oven Cooking/Camp Baking tips & how to's
    • Make your own firestarters (cotton & wax, char cloth making, simple fire starting)
    • Wonderful world of knives.. show them off, cut some stuff, or simple sharpening/upkeep
    • "My favorite of the 5,289 methods to hang a tarp / suspend an UQ..."

Hiking: There's a trail at the back of Haskins which is nice for immediate area, in years past we've both hiked and shuttled up to the AT which runs along the Kittatinny Ridge. Tillman's Ravine which is across 206 is pretty nice as well.

Fishing: There are lots of nearby streams and lakes. NJ license req'd.

What else: Suggest away. Firewood delivery contacts as mentioned above. Someone to manage group menu when headcount is clearer.
    Last edited by mrcheviot; 09-27-2015 at 16:26.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    Hey guys, we are def going to MAHHA, but would love to try to make this too. Have to check the calendars and look at things first before I can 100% commit though. Congrats to Jeremy and Matt!!! Stokes was the first group hang we went to and that was such a good time, def would like to try to make it. Also, the smaller group hangs are where you REALLY eat!(you know I'm cooking SOMETHING if we are there) As far as a winter hang, I know Kristen is out on those, but I'm in on that.... Nov she "may" still be in...
    Would be great if you guys could make it, haven't seen you in awhile. I have a feeling there'll be another hang before the year is out, and perhaps early next year - something I'm sure will be discussed at the hang.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Can't edit the spreadsheet. I would personally suggest that we have a fixed menu. We haven't done "bring a special dish" in a long time because it usually results in massive waste and excessive costs.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Can't edit the spreadsheet. I would personally suggest that we have a fixed menu. We haven't done "bring a special dish" in a long time because it usually results in massive waste and excessive costs.
    I think I fixed the spreadsheet.

I'm offering soup on Friday because I can make it ahead of time. I know Perrito has something in mind for Sat dinner.

If you want to take charge of menu I'm all for it. I agree about excessive food on Sat night.

Edit: just revised the info post. I like idea of building fixed menu based on what people want to contribute, and filling in the gaps with easy group items (burgers, brauts, egg roll-ups, salad, whatever). Group meal can then be a reimbursable item so people aren't spending so much on excess food.
    Last edited by mrcheviot; 09-27-2015 at 16:28.

Flickr
    YouTube

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I might come Friday night with a couple kids and leave early Saturday.
    My family can't make it after all. Have a blast!

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    My trip has been canceled. I am tentative again. Working some things out.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The turnout this year looks to be small, so I definitely recommend a fixed menu. If Perrito wants to bring tamales for Saturday night, then we factor that in, and reimburse him accordingly. We can also factor in the costs of Saturday and Sunday morning breakfast (coffee, bacon, eggs, tortillas, & cheese). If anybody wants to bring anything out of the kindness of their heart, unreimbursable, then we certainly won't discourage that. However, I think a base menu of reimbursable items is warranted.

Friday

Soup (mr cheviot)

Saturday

Breakfast

Bacon
    Eggs
    Tortillas
    Cheese
    Coffee

Dinner

Perrito Tamales

Sunday

Breakfast

Bacon
    Eggs
    Tortillas
    Cheese
    Coffee

So in addition to the $10 to $15 cost of lodging and firewood, we allocate an additional $5 to $10 for all meals listed. That way nobody has to worry about how much to pay for meals. If Perrito or anybody else wants to donate the meal they're preparing, then that's great: less cost for the rest of us. However, I'm not inclined to donate anything - I'd rather we figure out the amount of food we need to feed the masses, and pay the providers accordingly.

Since last year's Stokes Hang (the model for how to overspend), the Jersey hangers have been doing shared menus with remarkable success and minimal waste. I suggest we continue that model.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The first year we had 27 to 30 people; last year we had 16 to 18. This year our numbers look like 6 to 15 at most. I'd suggest we plan accordingly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast