WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle

Grosgrain ridgeline

I am considering a grosgrain ridgeline on my newest tarp project. I can't wrap my head around not having to seam seal. I plan to use the method i believe to be the warbonnet style. That is to say: stitch the two panels together with a simple 1/4 inch seam, then sew on the 1 inch grosgrain over the raw top edge. Like

/-|-|-\
    -/-|-|-\-

I have read of others using this and not seam sealing wth good results, but i have also read where they leak bad, even on warbonnet tarps. to me, the grosgrain would absorb water then pass it down between the sil panels through the grosgrain stitch, and onto me.

Thoughts? How do you guys do your gg ridgelines?
    Last edited by WeWalked; 09-08-2015 at 12:33.

I just finished a tarp with a GG ridgeline. A 1/4" seam is good for the sil but I would recommend 7/8" GG at the least. I used 1.5" so that once the edge was bound in it I had 3/4" on either side. One row of stitching close to the edge on the 1.5" and another row about 1/4" from the peak.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpi890 View Post
    I just finished a tarp with a GG ridgeline. A 1/4" seam is good for the sil but I would recommend 7/8" GG at the least. I used 1.5" so that once the edge was bound in it I had 3/4" on either side. One row of stitching close to the edge on the 1.5" and another row about 1/4" from the peak.
    Ah.. I meant 1" grosgrain. Post edited. I was thinking 1/2 inch on either side, using 1" grosgrain. Have you had it in the rain yet to know if it leaks?

I have another one I use and it has seen plenty of downpours and doesn't leak a bit.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    No real down side to seam sealing it unless you count time and effort in doing it as a downside. When it comes to your weather protection I think the time and effort would be well worth it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    No real down side to seam sealing it unless you count time and effort in doing it as a downside. When it comes to your weather protection I think the time and effort would be well worth it.
    Thanks all. How would you go about sealing a grosgrain ridgeline? Pitch tarp>seal seam from inside? OR maybe pitch tarp inside out and seal the inside seam so that gravity can do its work on the sealant?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWalked View Post
    Thanks all. How would you go about sealing a grosgrain ridgeline? Pitch tarp>seal seam from inside? OR maybe pitch tarp inside out and seal the inside seam so that gravity can do its work on the sealant?
    I turned my inside out and set it up taut with a very horizontal pitch and then used Permatex flowable silicone which is found in automotive parts stores. It's used by many here because it's easy to apply and does a good job gettting into stitch holes.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    I use grosgrain ridgelines exclusively on all of my DIY tarps. I first hem the two tarp halves together along the ridgeline with the right sides out. I then turn the whole thing inside out and repeat the process, hiding the raw edge and giving me 4 layers of silnylon to sandwich between the grosgrain. When finished, I seam seal the ridgeline from the outside, which I find much easier and cleaner with the grosgrain as opposed to a flat felled seam. I dilute the silicone and just slather it onto/into the grosgrain. It will soak up the silicone for a bit, and I make at couple passes on each side. Once it dries, the silicone is invisible, isn't all over the silnylon tarp material, and keeps the grosgrain from soaking up water. I've been through rainstorms that dumped 5+ inches in a day and had no leaks. HYOG.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by 4estTrekker View Post
    I use grosgrain ridgelines exclusively on all of my DIY tarps. I first hem the two tarp halves together along the ridgeline with the right sides out. I then turn the whole thing inside out and repeat the process, hiding the raw edge and giving me 4 layers of silnylon to sandwich between the grosgrain. When finished, I seam seal the ridgeline from the outside, which I find much easier and cleaner with the grosgrain as opposed to a flat felled seam. I dilute the silicone and just slather it onto/into the grosgrain. It will soak up the silicone for a bit, and I make at couple passes on each side. Once it dries, the silicone is invisible, isn't all over the silnylon tarp material, and keeps the grosgrain from soaking up water. I've been through rainstorms that dumped 5+ inches in a day and had no leaks. HYOG.
    Interesting. What do you use to dilute the silicone? Mineral spirits?

Quote Originally Posted by 4estTrekker View Post
    I use grosgrain ridgelines exclusively on all of my DIY tarps. I first hem the two tarp halves together along the ridgeline with the right sides out. I then turn the whole thing inside out and repeat the process, hiding the raw edge and giving me 4 layers of silnylon to sandwich between the grosgrain.
    You're idea for hemming and sewing the GG interests me... What hem allowance do you use hemming the sil the first and second time before adding the GG ribbon?

• + New Posts