Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

DIY should be cheaper right, or Down prices are crazy

I was in the mist of researching a DIY underquilt, and I can't source materials in such a way that my homemade quilt will be cheaper than one from a manufacture. I can find some shady looking alibaba materials, but would rather source from an outfit the at least looks reputable. Also, many of the sites listed in underquilt DIY guides simply don't exist anymore. So ether I'm failing at finding, or doing something else wrong if DIY is expected to be cheaper than buying new. Any hints?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    During my research several years ago, I found that there wasn't much money to be saved on quilts. I quickly gave up on the idea. I would imagine there is less to be saved nowadays.

I've made a few DIY things (tarp, for one), and found that DIY did not give me a sense of pride or accomplishment. I think that's the primary attraction to DIY, after all.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Like anything, the real money will be saved in labor.

I did a good, hard search for down a year or so ago. The trouble in ran into was the cheapest sources I was finding for down required a purchase of something like over 5 lbs. (if i remember correcty) under five pounds were subject to higher prices plus an additional fee. Even if I was able to spend the money, I still couldn't justify spending it on my sewing/quilt making skill level.

I bought some bargain down I was told was 800+FP (however they did not officially test it for FP). I can't say it looks to be true or at least not like any 800-900 down that I've ever seen.

Only advice I could offer is get together with friends and buy in bulk.

Have you checked out dutchwaregear and ripstopbytheroll, they should have what you need at decent prices, for down check out downlinens.com you have to buy a pound but the prices aren't too bad plus they have quite a few options to choose from.
    But ya generally what I have found is that by the time you buy the materials at consumer prices you typically can save around a hundred bucks give or take over the comparable commercially made quilt or tarp. So the question becomes what is your time worth? Some of this stuff can be quite labor intensive, especially if you have to factor in the learning curve of actually doing it.

The flip side of that is the advantage you gain by going DIY is you can make your quilt exacly the way you want it with any material and any fill power down.
    Just for example, say you wanted a lynx underquilt from warbonnet but you want Argon fabric and 900 FP down, well you would be out of luck. So to me that is the real advantage of DIY, you can get what you want without compromising.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

DIY should be cheaper right, or Down prices are crazy

Here is the best source I've found. Although their min. Order at discounted prices ais higher than I remembered. It's actually 20lbs.

http://www.featherind.com/purchasing-information.html

But they will sell lower amounts at higher prices sometimes. Maybe someone adventurous enough to weigh a massive amount if down into small quantities would like to organize a group buy.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The cost savings of DIY are NEVER a sure thing. It depends on the project, your skill and the economy of scale. IMO DIY to save money is more often a fools errand.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    UW Multicam
    Tarp
    SF or Stars
    Suspension
    UCR's
    http://www.downlinens.com/products/premium-washed-down

1lb of 800 FP water resistant down is $115. That's not too bad considering the shipping is free.

http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products...0-fp-duck-down

15 ounces of 800 FP water resistant down is $125. They sell it in 3 ounce packages.

http://www.downlitebedding.com/jessi...urdown-pillow/

The king-size pillow says 30 ounces of down it's 700 fill power for about 100 bucks.

Having made an under quilt and top quilt, I can tell you my own personal experience is that you only save about 20 or $30 over the course of that exercise. I would highly recommend Hammock Gear for said insulation. However if you are determined to go the DIY route I have provided some links above.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Don't forget the downlinens coupons. I saved 10% by signing up for their mailing list.

Hammock
    DD Frontline XL
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    UQ, reflectix, MSS
    Suspension
    tow straps
    DIY works best for pretty much any kind of hammock(you can save a lot making your own bridge hammock if you have a little sewing skill) but not for any kind of insulating materials like sleeping bags or under quilts. You just can't compete with the cost savings factories get on the materials they use to create them.

I use DIY mostly for mods to existing items like enhancing the effectiveness of a sawyer water filter, or making my own alcohol stove/pots from recycled materials.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast