Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

BMBH initial impressions

Here are my initial impressions of the JRB BMBH...

(Want to skip all my drivel and just see the pictures? They're at the bottom.)

Preface:
    I have ZERO background knowledge on bridge hammocks other than pictures I've seen, videos on this site, and descriptions via threads. I've had my share of hammocks over the past couple of years - Clark North American, Trek Light Double, ENO Singlenest/Doublenest, Warbonnet Blackbird, Hennessy Expedition, Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro, and finally to my new Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.

For insulation I've used sleeping bags, Thermarest Ridgerest, Speer SnugFit, KAQ Potomac, and now my new Exped DownMat 9 DLX.

Unpacking and testing:
    The entire JRB BMBH setup comes in a nifty sil-nylon bag. Everything you need to know about setup is included with a getting started guide attached to the drawstring. New user? Read that guide! Takes about 2 minutes to grasp the concept. Easy as pie. Normally guys don't take time to read instructions. I did, but I was already a bit familiar with the spreader bars (how to and how NOT to use them!) as well as being familiar with the tri-glides...so preparing the BMBH for my first hang was a breeze!

After pulling the goodies out of the bag, getting the suspension lines straight and pre-installing the tri-glides, I kicked everyone out of my way and took the hammock out to the backyard. Got dirty looks from my wife and dogs. Guess they didn't appreciate me frantically pushing them out of the way so that I could play with my new toy...um..er...I mean, so that I could test the new man-equipment. Yeah, that's it....

Hung the hammock losely between my favorite 2 trees, assembled/installed the spreader bars, tightened the suspension lines a bit, physically raised each end so that it was waist high, then I finally eased into the contraption. ****! Have to run inside and get my pillow. Precious seconds wasted! Ran back outside, tossed my pillow in the hammock, got back in, and moved around like I had ants in my pants. I tried all kinds of different positions! Takes a little getting used to because I'm more familiar with my Blackbird. It's the hammock I've spent the most time in...so far.

Plenty of room from head to toe! Bit of shoulder-squeeze, though. For reference, I'm only 5'10" and 150 soaking wet. Maybe inserting my new Exped DownMat 9 DLX will help in that regard. Yep! Sure does! Man oh man. It's like sleeping on my bed. I can sleep on my back, my sides, and even my stomach! I actually tended to prefer the head end of my BMBH a wee bit higher than my feet. Not by much, though.

My wife came out to see just what the hell I was doing. She wanted to try it, of course. 15 minutes later and I was STILL begging her to get out so I could do more testing. Sheesh! Her words: "I like this one the best out of all your hammocks." Oh no! I can see the writing on the wall. Not even 10 minutes with my new BMBH and she wants it!

Final ramblings:
    I ended up testing the BMBH in different configurations. I used it as-is, used my Speer SnugFit with it, and my Exped DownMat 9 DLX. I can't wait to field-test all this stuff at an upcoming hang in November!

I never did really use the separate bug netting. I mean, I installed it while my wife was in the hammock...but we both agreed that it's nice to have, but not necessary. I'll take it with me on outings but I just don't think I'll use it that much. If I need something over me to ward off no-see-ums, I'll probably just use my family size Neat Sheet as a bug shield/barrier.

Pictures:

Foot end

Head end

With Speer SnugFit

Top view with Speer SnugFit

Top view with Exped DownMat 9 DLX in the pad pocket

Valve from DownMat at foot end/entry of BMBH pad pocket for easy tweaks to air pressure

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    More pictures. Bug net is attached with HH hex fly overhead.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm glad you like it. I dont have as much experience with different hammock brands as you but so far the JRB BMBH is my favorite. A wide thick pad like you have works well to eliminate any shoulder squeeze. It's by far the best hammock I have used with a pad ie no slippage, no fuss, just slide it into the pocket and forget about it. I just got my MW4UQ from the Jacks so I'm "testing" my set up as well. I hope your snugfit works as well as you hope. Enjoy your hammock and welcome to the band of bridge hangers!

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Congrats. Animal-control is going to let me try his BMBH soon. I'm excited about the range of hammocks out there. I can't wait to get into one.
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Is this the new one that is rated to 275 lbs?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    Is this the new one that is rated to 275 lbs?
    Yes sir, according to the JRB website.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    A wide thick pad like you have works well to eliminate any shoulder squeeze.
    I've found that this is definitely true. I barely have any air in the DownMat right now. Had to experiment with that a bit. At first, I had too much air and it just wasn't very comfortable.

Weather report shows a low of only 60 tonight here in Houston. I've left the BMBH in the backyard configured with the DownMat so I'll hop in it later for a cool weather trial run.

I imagine if it gets fairly cold this season that I could make it nice and toasty with the DownMat in the pad pocket and the SnugFit underneath.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images

LOL about your wife - The very SAME THING happened to me

when i got my BMBH! She has logged more time in it than I have to date, and claimed it for herself as well.

Sweeper

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I got BMBH envy ........
    Alan, enjoy the new ride. Good report!!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes sir, according to the JRB website.
    I guess I'm surprised to hear that there's still shoulder squeeze for someone your size. I thought the increased weight capacity would come with a revised design for a wider feel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast