Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    GREAT JOB! I have momentum and down to make a "traditional" TQ, but now having seen this design I am going to give it a try. A few questions...

How wide are each of the draft stopper wings??
    Are they just a single layer of fabric (hemmed around the edges to prevent fraying)??

Thanks,
    Cameron
    I cut the bottom shell fabric wider than the top shell fabric for the draft stoppers. They are then a single layer of fabric and hemmed.

For the width I followed Ray Jardines recommendation for want of anything else. He states that the ideal width of the draft stopper is 7.25", but that it can be made wider or narrower. He has the draft stopper on both sides and the head end. I didn't like it on the head end since it kept flopping in my face and so have it only on the sides. Also, I put a draw string on the head end to cinch the quilt around the neck and seal it so that a draft stopper there wasn't needed. The draw string keeps the fabric out of my face.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    just saw this thread now AC. Very nice work! I'll consider the Karo for my next quilt. It would be, ah, educational, to try something different.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    just saw this thread now AC. Very nice work! I'll consider the Karo for my next quilt. It would be, ah, educational, to try something different.

Grizz
    Thanks Grizz...I'd be curious to see what improvements you will make
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Very nice top quilt!! I'm envious of you'all that can make these karo step quilts, mine are just baffled channels and some how I always wind up with down floating around the room!!!
    About the draft stoppers and cords at the ends to chench tight... I think because my Clark hammock is an end to end lay and the sides are pretty tight to me, that my quilt doesn't need the side draft stoppers. At least that's what I'm finding in my testing so far. I have added a cord to the head end to chench it around my shoulders and I've just now added a piece of silk material on the underside of the top quilt with it extended longer at the head end for a draft stopper there. I'm finding that I like the silk material better than the nylon material that the quilt is made from, to be covering my face. It's like sleeping with really fine sheets. Plus I can still see through it and it's warm too.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Silk is totallywonderful- do not let the fabric indutry's lables of "dryclean only" put you off! silk has been around for about a thousand years- drycleanning about 50. wash silk gently in cold water and (optimally) hang to dry; though it can survive the dryer. What happens is all the finishes and treatments the Mfg put in will come off and the "hand" or feel of the fabric will change, or some shrinkage will occur. If you are working wth yardage; no prob, just wash before you measure and cut; But! if you wash a finished garment the changes might not be to your liking- hence the "Dryclean" label.
    Hope this $.o2 has been helpful, if not entirely on topic... KM

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    TeeDee, I wasn't quite clear from your write-up on how the head-end cinch cord works. When you're on your back, does the cord run along the head end of the quilt and continue to loop around the back of your neck, creating a full loop around you, or is it just from the right side to the left side of the quilt?

TinaLouise, same question to you. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add that feature to my quilt.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    TeeDee, I wasn't quite clear from your write-up on how the head-end cinch cord works. When you're on your back, does the cord run along the head end of the quilt and continue to loop around the back of your neck, creating a full loop around you, or is it just from the right side to the left side of the quilt?

TinaLouise, same question to you. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add that feature to my quilt.
    mine goes from left to right side. I really don't think I'd want something that goes around my neck!!! I put cord locks on both sides too (testing these and might only need cord lock on one side) Once I'm in my hammock with the quilt cinched up, it's sort of like I'm in a cocoon and my quilt just seems to stay put. If I get to hot, I uncinch and vent.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    The cinch cord is from side to side of the filled portion (excludes the draft stoppers).

How tight it fits around the neck depends on how much you draw the cord.

I usually cinch it down just enough to keep the quilt tucked over the top of my shoulders, the draft stoppers then tuck under my shoulders. That keeps my shoulders completely covered with down and keeps it there even when I move around a bit.

The cords could be pulled more and cinch the quilt right up tight to my neck - the sides and top of my neck, not the back of my neck, i.e., it doesn't go all the way around my neck. I haven't felt the need to cinch it down any tighter yet. Maybe I will in the future and maybe I won't.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Really nice work AC. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Really nice work AC. Mule
    thanks buddy...means alot from you!
    Take Care
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast