Quote Originally Posted by TheYoda View Post
I'm also red/green color blind and the description about traffic lights and such is spot on. At night I often just see lights. Something I think is a (white) street light suddenly changes to yellow and I become aware it is a traffic light. Being able to differentiate between red and green is mostly hit or miss depending on specific shades, tones, hues, lighting, etc. In the super market I can tell the difference between red peppers and green peppers. They are rich colors. If I look at a pastel painting or tapestry however, it mostly looks grey. Not enough bright colors to register with my eyes. And then there is the trickle down to other colors... red + blue = purple, unless you don't see red, then it's kind of just another shade of blue.

My biggest pet peeve is why so many things are red/green dependent when these are the 2 known colors that give most color blind folks problems. As far as I know, most people do not have a problem with blue, so why not use blue in place of red or green when it is important to be able to see the difference? Playing some video games was overly difficult. Cutting the right wire to diffuse a bomb... not gonna happen. Becoming a pilot... probably not going to happen. Always seems silly to me why so many things default to red/green.
Amen. Btw have you even seen telephone wires... never going to happen for us. Many professions don't even consider us because of it, but concessions will be made for many other different reasons. Police for instance. I may not be able to say that blue car, with 100 certainty, but I am able to focus on many other details other would miss. Oh well. Such is life.