Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod

11th Annual Winter Camping Symposium

Although this trip was 99.99% ground dwellers, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Full of good solid winter camping wisdom taught by experienced deep cold campers. People used to camping in -40 degree weather. People who have plunged thru lake ice wearing snowshoes while pulling sleds. They have my respect. Some pics of the outing can be seen at http://wintertrekking.com/index.php?topic=507.15

Also ran into fellow HF member "Beep", so we declared it an official HF outing.
    I'm the guy in the beret and you can tell where I slept.

Stairguy

Images
    There was the lonely hammock among all of the heavy duty winter tents/stoves! What did those minus 40 campers think of that? i know they liked the idea of cooking breakfast from the hammock/bag.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    way to represent Stairguy and Beep...
    wish we had a winter camping convention in Indiana...everyone would bring their 5th wheels!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Stairguy and I had a grand time visiting and looking at all the well-made but pricey canvas tents with wood stoves, toboggans, hard-core anoraks & mukluks, pulks, etc. and chatting with the cognoscenti of winter camping.

Though Stairguy and I are both "local" to the location, he was the only one to camp there, while I was a day-tripper. Next time, I'm taking my rig and showing off like Stairguy!!

The truly committed (think $$$) follow the path of "hot tents", big things made of canvas with wood stoves. The weight and bulk are possible when you tow all your gear on a sled, pulk or toboggan, and offer the ability to get really warm in seriously cold temperatures...a huge plus even if you have to be a ground-dweller. We hammockers fall into the "cold tent" variety of winter travel, doomed to endless schemes of trying to keep our drinking water in liquid form, coping with frozen boots overnight and having enough insulation to deal with the cold.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the event and plan to go again. The people were nice, the place worked well for the activities and the workshops and seminars were well-done.

I spent some money ordering some new mukluks from Empire Canvas Works and a new waist harness for my ski pulk from Ed Bouffard http://www.skipulk.com/. I'm getting excited looking ahead to cold and snow (yipes!)!! My busy weekend schedule won't let me get out until December for any trips, but I'm already planning!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I checked it out, WOW, neat site! Yep, it pertains to Groundling camping, but In the hour or so I checked it out I learned a lot.

Thanks Stairguy for the post. And thanks to Stairguy and Beep for representing us. Maybe I can go someday.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I checked it out, WOW, neat site! In the hour or so I checked it out I learned a lot.
    Saw that you already had a post on Wintertrekking.com. Lot of great info there.
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Stairguy and I had a grand time visiting and looking at all the well-made but pricey canvas tents with wood stoves, toboggans, hard-core anoraks & mukluks, pulks, etc. and chatting with the cognoscenti of winter camping.

Though Stairguy and I are both "local" to the location, he was the only one to camp there, while I was a day-tripper. Next time, I'm taking my rig and showing off like Stairguy!!

The truly committed (think $$$) follow the path of "hot tents", big things made of canvas with wood stoves. The weight and bulk are possible when you tow all your gear on a sled, pulk or toboggan, and offer the ability to get really warm in seriously cold temperatures...a huge plus even if you have to be a ground-dweller. We hammockers fall into the "cold tent" variety of winter travel, doomed to endless schemes of trying to keep our drinking water in liquid form, coping with frozen boots overnight and having enough insulation to deal with the cold.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the event and plan to go again. The people were nice, the place worked well for the activities and the workshops and seminars were well-done.

I spent some money ordering some new mukluks from Empire Canvas Works and a new waist harness for my ski pulk from Ed Bouffard http://www.skipulk.com/. I'm getting excited looking ahead to cold and snow (yipes!)!! My busy weekend schedule won't let me get out until December for any trips, but I'm already planning!
    You bought some awsome boots "beep". Just don't take them off around Shug's envy eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    way to represent Stairguy and Beep...
    wish we had a winter camping convention in Indiana...everyone would bring their 5th wheels!
    Mark 6:7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits (ground dwellers)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    There was the lonely hammock among all of the heavy duty winter tents/stoves! What did those minus 40 campers think of that? i know they liked the idea of cooking breakfast from the hammock/bag.
    A lot liked what they saw and some downright didn't like summer camping.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Next year we should work our Northern Hang to catch this , either on the way in or out, and truly represent. Great job, guys! Love those mukluks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Looks like they werre impressed with your hammock Stairguy, you made the pics with the comment "I've got to make one of these for the backpack!"

And another one leaves the dust!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts