WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips

WBBB Ridgline Question

Just received my double 1.7 and set it up in the backyard (assuming this is the typical procedure for all new WBBB owners....) and notice that the ridgline was much tighter than in Brandon's video. I'm guessing that the spacing between my trees my be a bit longer than preffered (over 20 feet? need to measure this...). The angle for the suspension lines was about 20 degrees not the suggested 30. In order for me to get 30 degrees I am going to need a ladder to anchor the webbing higher. Just wanted to get some feedback if my assumption is correct about the spacing of the trees or if I might be doing something else wrong. Also, what type of rope is the ridgline and what is the breaking strength? Just curious. Thanks.

. . . and yeah, its one heck of a daggumit hammock !

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Just received my double 1.7 and set it up in the backyard (assuming this is the typical procedure for all new WBBB owners....) and notice that the ridgline was much tighter than in Brandon's video. I'm guessing that the spacing between my trees my be a bit longer than preffered (over 20 feet? need to measure this...). The angle for the suspension lines was about 20 degrees not the suggested 30. In order for me to get 30 degrees I am going to need a ladder to anchor the webbing higher. Just wanted to get some feedback if my assumption is correct about the spacing of the trees or if I might be doing something else wrong. Also, what type of rope is the ridgline and what is the breaking strength? Just curious. Thanks.

Your assumption about the spacing is right on, and you have correctly diagnosed the tightness as a result of the angle. The webbing just needs to be higher on the tree to increase the angle and loosen the ridgeline up a bit.

On the trail, many use the technique of lifting the webbing up on the tree with either a stick or a trekking pole. The same should be easy enough at home.

The rigeline on the Blackbird is Amsteel. I don't recall if it is 7/64" or 1/8", but they both have very high breaking strengths (1600lbs and 2500lbs, respectively). That strength is de-rated some, due to the knots that are tied in it, but it is far strong enough to carry ridgeline forces.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    .......The rigeline on the Blackbird is Amsteel. I don't recall if it is 7/64" or 1/8".......
    I'm prety sure it's 1/8", but Brandon can chime in if he sees this to clarify. Either way you go, the ridgeline is plenty strong.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

yea, the longer the span, the higher the webbing needs to be (to loosen that ridgeline anyway). People have been know to push the webbing up the tree using a stick or trekking pole
    my advice...find closer trees!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    I have a question, what is the perfect distance between the tree's for the Blackbird?
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorethian View Post
    I have a question, what is the perfect distance between the tree's for the Blackbird?
    I like about 15', but that's just me.

BTW no apostrophe needed on "trees", it's plural, not posessive.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorethian View Post
    About 15'.

Anywhere from 13' to 18' is what I look for.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    WOW! Not even 30 minutes and soo many responses. Glad to see that I am not the only one addicted to this activity and site. I was guessing the ridgline was amsteel but since this is my first encounter with it I wasn't sure. As for the backyard, these are the only two "usable" trees that I have. Wife is not sure how the Home Owner's Association would feel if I was camped out in the front yard with the BB and the Superfly set up. My response was that I have paid our yearly fees, who cares? She didn't go for that response.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    .......the Home Owner's Association would feel if I was camped out in the front yard.......
    There are few things that will make owning a home as miserable as having to abide by a homeowner's association. Just a bunch of busy bodies with nothing better to do. That's why I don't live where I have to belong to one. Live a little and go hang the night in the back yard.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    What would be considered a maximum (reasonable) distance between trees, assuming you don't have a step ladder handy?

H.O.A.'s are a double-edged sword. I live on 18 ac, governed only by deed restrictions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast