Hammock
    switchback

Shoulder Squeeze

I need help---I have a clark nx-200 that I have had for about a year...i have recently changed out the stock suspension to a ring and buckle system...I did this to create an easier way to set up and adjust the angle...
    Unfortunately, i seem to be experiencing shoudler squeeze now...I am feeling really confined in the upper part of my body...Im not a small guy, 6'0 and 250 pounds....As far as whats in the hammock with me, all I have is thermarest pad and a down sleeping bag...

Are there certain hammocks or tricks or adjustments people have discovered that help spread out the hammock?
    At this point, Im not limiting myself to the Clark..Ive seen how the blackbirf has tie outs on the side and am wondering if this is what I am needing?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    What adjustments have you tried? How steep is the angle of the suspension going to the tree? Have any pics of the setup?

My initial thought is that by changing to a ring buckle, you may have given yourself a way to mechanically pull the hammock tighter than you were doing previously. You may need to compensate by hanging with more sag (attaching higher to the trees) or backing off the tension on the buckles just a bit.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    switchback
    thanks for the quick reply---
    i will try to attach the one photo i have...i should have taken more while it was up this weekend, but I wasnt thinking....
    i really havent tried any adjustments other than to leave the pad in because i thought i read where it helps spread things out...
    What adjustments would you suggest other than leaving more slack..which i will try...
    i reallly wish i could make the sipsey hang this upcoming weekend, but i will be out of town...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The pad certainly won't hurt, and might spread it out some.

That picture is a little deceptive...I think you were on sloping ground? The angle on the near support looks okay, but the hammock is tied much lower to the far tree?

The first thing is to try placing the supports higher on the tree. If that doesn't work, back off on the tension on the buckles some. I think that will solve the problem.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    switchback
    very keen eye there sparrow...yes, it was on sloped ground where the far tree was...limited hang options at that particular site(lake chinnabee--talladega forest)...
    ill try on flat ground and move my supports up higher...it think that will allow me to run a line from the ring buckles to hold up the bug net which currently rest on my face....rough weekend---but still off the ground--haha
    thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    What is running through the sewn end channels?
    If it's the stock rope, did you change the loop size and shape?

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    It's gotta be the sag. I have a problem with my shoulders, they always hurt if there is the SLIGHTEST squeeze. In fact if I lay on a flat surface with my arms crossed on my chest my shoulders will begin to hurt in short order; so shoulder squeeze is a big, painful thing for me. The only thing I have found to alleviate it is more sag. I hang my Hannessey with enough sag to have a slack ridgeline; just to give you an idea of the amount of sag I use.

I usually have enough sag that my left shoulder is very close to the left edge of the hammock body and I proly lie on more of a diagonal than most people. Also, if the head is too much lower than the feet you will end up sliding down to the narrow part of the hammock which will also cause squeeze.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts