Hello from Front Royal, VA

Hi. I'm not a hanger yet. I'm still thinking about it. I finally made it into my 50s and can squeeze out some free time for some camping/travelling by motorcycle. My thoughts are to try some of the RoadRunner Shamrock rides but center them around a campsite rather than a hotel. The object would be to spend a day riding to a location and set up. Travel the area for four days by motorcycle always coming back to the camp. Then packing up and heading home. I'm not so interested in hiking or backpacking at the moment.

I've been investigating equipment - particularly tents and such. I never really considered hammocks until watching a lot of Shug's and sintax77's videos. Now I'm aware of the possibilities.

I've whittled things down to the Hilleberg AKTO or the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. At 330 lbs and 6'2" i'm looking at the 1.7 double layer. Here's what concerns me about hammocks so far:

1) A lot of the hammock structure depends on the tree, straps and connecting hardware. A 330 pounder can dish out a lot of punishment to these components. With F=ma being a key formula, I see a lot of stress being applied to something that doesn't have the whole earth holding it up.

2) What if there are no trees? It seems to me there are more places with no trees than there are places with too many trees to fit a small tent. A hammock seems to lock me into a certain kind of site. In other words, my impression of the South West with long stretches of desert or Mid-West with long stretches of meadow seems to negate the use of a hammock.

Here's what I think I like about hammocks:

1) They cost less than the tents I'm considering. I know accessories add up but base price a Hilleberg or even some North Face tents eclipse the base price of the XLC.

2) They look so darn comfortable. Comfort is absolutely at the top of my requirements list.

3) They look so darn cool.

Hopefully I'll be making my mind up over the next couple of weeks. For now I'll just be reading the forums and watching the vids trying to figure out what I can live with. I'm considering my first trip down to the Little Switzerland, NC area though I should have to travel so far with PA, WV and VA all around me. Where ever I go the first few trips will be real close to a hotel just in case.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    PLUQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello ftom NC. You live in a beautiful area. I usually take a trip through there on my motorcycle at the beginning of October.
    Have you considered getting both? There may be more economical options for both hammocks and tents that will suit your needs. You shouldn't need the lightest of materials since you do not plan to backpack. A slightly heavier tent can save you big $$$ without taking up much more space.

A Dutch hammock with the half bug net is less than $100. It is offered in materials that are plenty strong enough.

Good luck and have fun checking out all of your options!

Welcome from NoVa. While originally from the Valley, Waynesboro. There are a couple hangs coming up for you to see a variety of hammocks. The first is the MAHHA up at Pine Grove Furnace SP, PA. In early October. Over 100 hangers and vendors. You can learn and see a lot there. Then there is the NOVA Hang at Prince William Forest Park, VA. First weekend in November. Not as big but closer to you.
    I recently made my BiL a hammock using Dutch's hexon 2.4. He is 325 about 6'. He loves it. Plenty strong and secure.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

1) They cost less than the tents I'm considering. I know accessories add up but base price a Hilleberg or even some North Face tents eclipse the base price of the XLC.
    Like anything else there are low price cheap cheap tents then there are the high quality high price tents. Same with hammocks. As with hammocks and tents, it just depends on what you are looking for, how you plan to use it and how much do you plan to spend.

The UQs, TQs, Tarps and suspension stuff can get expensive if you go with top quality gear. I like to go with top of the line gear and buy once.

2) They look so darn comfortable. Comfort is absolutely at the top of my requirements list.
    They are and that is my only complaint because I don't want to get out of my hammock in the AM

3) They look so darn cool.
    They are.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Thank you. In particular, thanks Yojimbo for the events. I will aim for the PA trip. It sounds like a good time and is well within the distance we normally travel for weekend motorcycle trips.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Front Royal. mmmmmmmmmm Spelunkers. Thanks for making me crave one of their burgers.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Welcome from just south of you in Richmond!
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

• + New Posts