Images

Your opinion is appreciated!

I just placed an order for a Dream Hammock NighHawk (Thanks Papa and Mama Smurf!) I ordered it as a double-layer. I like the way it looks as a double layer, but I found out that my dear, sweet wife is getting me an UQ for my birthday. It seems like the double layer is no longer strictly necessary and removing it would save weight and bulk, but it think it looks cooler with the double-layer (one color on the outside, a different color on the inside)
    My question to you folks is this....

Does anyone have experience in a DH Thunderbird hammock with two layers?
    Do you use a pad between the layers? How does it feel?
    Do you use an underquilt even though there is a double layer? If so, why?
    Have you ever felt that having an underquilt AND a pad was what you needed in order to get to the lower temps???

I know, I know.... Lots of questions. I am super excited for my DH, and I want to hear other peoples experience with them. Particularly surrounding the double layered Thunderbird.
    Last edited by cameronjreed; 09-17-2015 at 21:40.
    "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    Does anyone have experience in a DH Thunderbird hammock with two layers?
    Not the Thunderbird - but there's not really a difference to any other double layer gathered end hammock.

Do you use a pad between the layers? How does it feel?
    Yes, very occasionally. But mostly to supplement my uq. It feels like any DL hammock with a pad feels: not ideal. The layers keep the pad in place better, but if you move a lot, you'll likely roll off the pad now and then. But your body can get used to it, in the same way you do not fall out of your bed. Depending on the pads thickness and flexibility, it straightens out the hammock quite a bit. I liked that; it felt like the best of both worlds (hammock and bed). But unless you're extremely slim or your pad is very wide, you'll always need extra insulation for the shoulders and maybe thighs. I didn't like that.

Yes. I prefer my hammocks to be double layers, although I use underquilts pretty much all the time. Probably the most important reason for me is the lack of stretch in a double layer. Any nylon fabric under 1.9oz that I have tried had too much stretch for my comfort. I could use a +1.9oz single layer hammock - but a double layer does the same job and gives me options.

Obviously, I can always use a pad instead of an underquilt. But more importantly, I can put some insulation between the layers to boost the warmth of my underquilt. I usually carry some Reflectix as a sit pad; when I put it under my butt and lower back, it prevents CBS effectively. I could probably go winter camping with a foam pad and my 20°F uq.

Something else I like to use the layers is to dry out wet socks and clothes - or keep my hiking clothes dry when humidity is high. The clothes don't come into direct contact with me, but my body heat can still get to them.

Sometimes I also put small stuff that I want to keep close to me between the layers, like my wallet (e.g. when cycle touring and hanging in a crowded public campsite). Of course you should never put things with sharp edges etc. between the layers...

Yes, because uqs simply work best with hammocks. Once adjusted, they stay where they're supposed to be. My full-length uq also covers me completely and is lighter and packs smaller than my pad plus shoulder/tigh insulation.

Have you ever felt that having an underquilt AND a pad was what you needed in order to get to the lower temps???
    Yes.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    +1 on the less stretch for more comfort.

For a couple years now I have camped on a WL Night Owl which is double layer. I absolutely prefer it to single layer for a number of reasons. As mentioned, lower stretch, but it also give me options like using a pad.

My hammock is black on black but I have seriously considered a picking up a Dream Hammock simply for the color choices. Don't go to single...get what you like and don't worry about weight so much. I am no gram weenie for sure....in fact I carry way too much crap and so what right? My solution to extra weight? When I get on the treadmill in the morning I do it with a 50 pound pack on my back. Solves that!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    I also agree with keeping the double layer. I have a dl Blackbird. In my mind, when using the hammock during the summer without a pad or quilt, it keeps Mosquitos from biting my back and legs through the bottom of the hammock. I don't know if this is true or not but hey the psychology of it helps me! I hope you enjoy your new hammock and under quilt. Maybe your sweet wife could talk to my sweet wife about tarps.
    Aaron

• + New Posts