Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That looks great Jazilla. I really like that stand. I may be able to build one from some scrap wood where my parents are remodeling a house.

With those measurements what would the spread be at the top of the stand, where you would attach the hammock?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    From top of 4x4 to top its 15". The eye bolts can be put anywhere along the up rights to get the distance desired. I like a 14' hang myself.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    That's why I got 2 pair...I don't expect them to last forever, but at $10 I'll be happy if I get a handful of trips out of each pair. They're pretty comfortable, too.
    Just received a yellow pair I ordered. These things are pretty cool. The band that goes around your head feels great. No worries about em coming off.
    Yellow color should work well in the woods. Hiking in lower light conditions.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 05-24-2007 at 16:46.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    like the stand better than the hammock! ya'll are cruel. those pics didn't do a very good job of displaying the netting shape though, i'll see if i can find a pic to post. but basically there's one corner just below your shoulder and one near the top of your head this gives max head and shoulder room. and there is one corner just past your feet which creates a footbox so your feet don't protrude into the netting like they would on some similar but inferior design, and here is the kicker: all sides of the netting have just the right amount of caternary cut, which is the key to tensioning the netting so that you don't need that patented ridgeline to suspend it. i also didn't see a picture of my perimeter loaded tarp either.
    as for the stand: the long 2x4's are 8', the short ones are 4', the long 4x4's are 6', the short 4x4's are 3'. not sure of the angle because they are dissassembled at my parrents house in nashville right now. however just attach the long 4x4's at the end of the long 2x4's and lean them far enough back so that your total span is about 12-13'. 2 of them were right at thirteen feet and the first one i made was at about 10.5' the angle cuts on the short 4x4's were a real ***** to do with a regular circular saw as you can only cut about halfway through. also make sure to drill the holes a couple of sizes bigger than your bolt anywhere you might want to be able to take apart and re assemble easily. i used four bolts per stand. but only removed the bottom 2 bolts for transport...Brandon

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    warbonnetguy,

Hammock Engineer post a pic of your tarp in another thread and we told us about the perimeter loaded tarp. Looks great.

I'm sure pics of your gear would be mucho appreciated by the members here. Lots and lots of pics. I would like to see what your under quilts look like.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    [QUOTE=ShakeyLeggs;I just took a look at the Speer site and I see they offer the Snug fit under quilt in 2 versions. One that fits their hammocks and a universal one. How does it work with a Hennessy does anyone know?

I had the honor of using one of Ed's snugfit prototypes for a while after the last SEHHA. Mainly it was used on my homemade hammocks but I also tested it on my hh asym exped. It was simple to use and required no adjustment other than the initial set up which took less than 2 minutes.I wrote a quick review for Ed which you can read below.

Also at $339 it is a bit pricey.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the cost is a little steep but I've used quilts from several manufactuers and imho his is the easiest to use hands down. Absolutely no drafts and no noticeable down commpression. This item will be in my pack when I thru-hike. I'm just glad I've got a while to save up for it.

Dave and Ed,

What can I say? This underquilt is the cats meow. You guys have
    constructed the Holy Grail of bottom insulation. The first night I
    used it the temperature was in the low 40's. I have to admit, I was a
    little intimidated by the suspension when I first looked at it (I forgot to ask you how to set it up) but literally, within three minutes, I had it adjusted
    correctly. You have transformed all of the "fiddle factors" usually
    associated with underquilt adjustment into a quick, one person, one
    time task. When I got into the hammock it felt like I was laying on
    an electric blanket. I was amazed at the warmth it retained even in a
    strong breeze. The sides stayed up perfectly, even with out the velcro. The second night started out a bit warmer with the mosquitos giving us a bit of trouble right at dusk. I set up my hammock, bugnet and 1.1oz bottom layer for protection. I clipped on the underquilt (which needed no re-
    adjustment) and left it hanging to one side of the hammock. As the
    temperature dropped and I got a little cool underneath, I just
    mindlessly reached under and pulled the quilt into place, snuggled
    back under my bag and drifted off to sleep again. It was so nice to be able to deploy the quilt without having to get up and to know that there would be no gaps and no adjustment needed. My companion on the other hand, got up each night to adjust his quilt. There seemed to be a need for mutiple adjustments that required him to exit his hammock during the night in order to try and stay warm. Thanks for designing such an awesome
    product. I can't wait to purchase one for my hikes. The flexability
    this quilt adds to my setup gives me the confidence I need to hike in
    a much wider range of temperatures and conditions.

Brian

T-BACK
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Thanks for the info T-Back
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Images
    Cool write up.

I got my first look at it at TD. I think a huge part of the fit is the way it is attached to the hammock. It has a type of mesh that is tapered from the end of the UQ to where it attaches to the hammock.

I think this really helps to hold it against the hammock stopping drafts. I really good idea. Something that I may add to my next UQ.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    like the stand better than the hammock! ya'll are cruel.
    I didn't mean it as a slam against your product. It's just that I've been look for a bed replacement. And your stand it the best looking, most sturdy and seems to be the easiest to make. If your hammocks don't sell, for whatever reason, take a look at selling the stands. Kind of like the Frisbee Baking Company: forget the freakin pies, just make the frisbee.

PS I don't guess Hennessy has a patent on hammock stands, lol.
    Last edited by funbun; 05-25-2007 at 08:27.

Dave and Ed,

What can I say? This underquilt is the cats meow. You guys have
    constructed the Holy Grail of bottom insulation. The first night I
    used it the temperature was in the low 40's. I have to admit, I was a little intimidated by the suspension when I first looked at it (I forgot to ask you how to set it up) but literally, within three minutes, I had it adjusted correctly. You have transformed all of the "fiddle factors" usually associated with underquilt adjustment into a quick, one person, one time task. When I got into the hammock it felt like I was laying on an electric blanket. I was amazed at the warmth it retained even in a strong breeze. The sides stayed up perfectly, even with out the velcro. The second night started out a bit warmer with the mosquitos giving us a bit of trouble right at dusk. I set up my hammock, bugnet and 1.1oz bottom layer for protection. I clipped on the underquilt (which needed no re-adjustment) and left it hanging to one side of the hammock. As the temperature dropped and I got a little cool underneath, I just mindlessly reached under and pulled the quilt into place, snuggled back under my bag and drifted off to sleep again. It was so nice to be able to deploy the quilt without having to get up and to know that there would be no gaps and no adjustment needed. My companion on the other hand, got up each night to adjust his quilt. There seemed to be a need for mutiple adjustments that required him to exit his hammock during the night in order to try and stay warm. Thanks for designing such an awesome product. I can't wait to purchase one for my hikes. The flexability this quilt adds to my setup gives me the confidence I need to hike in a much wider range of temperatures and conditions.

Brian

T-BACK
    Wow, if it's that good I may just start saving for one myself. Will it fit on a long 12 footer Safari like hammock?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast