Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles

Wink Another new Wisconsin hanger here

Hey all,

Just thought I'd drop a line here to introduce myself... I'm a thirty something who has been transitioning hobbies. I was a hockey goalie for 20 years but decided that if I want to keep walking, that I better switch to less impact hobbies. My wife and I have two horses now, so that is a big part of our day to day lives, but we're also getting very active in backpacking. We did our first overnight on the AT this summer, we climbed Mt. Greylock in MA. We also started tracking our section hiking of the Ice Age Trail here in Wisconsin. We live about 45 minutes from the nearest segment, so it's somewhat annoying to deal with, we usually end up doing a "there and back" day hike, but we truly want to get some overnight camping going next year! During our annual Devil's Lake camping trip a few weeks ago, we completed the sections around the lake and on over to Parfrey's Glen.

Anyway, regarding hammocks, I picked up an Eno Doublenest deluxe this year and have been enjoying that in the back yard and while car camping. Also during our overnight on the AT, I realized just how cramped my two person backpacking tent actually is... and how important soft ground is. I've been reading all that I can on reddit in the hammock and hammockcamping forums, but then I moved to youtube where I found Shug and very much enjoyed his videos. I've been eyeing up a blackbird XLC for a month now, I think that might be a purchase over the winter as I'm 6'1" and pretty heavy, so I plan on getting the 1.7 DL, just to be safe.

Shug, if you read this, I want to say, "Thank you very much for your videos! They are hilarious and informative, I truly have binge watched them for hours!" I feel like I know you from those videos. Also, I see you're into line control airplanes, I have some aviation hookups here in Wisco, if you ever want to come to Oshkosh, I can get you passes and probably a place to HANG!

p.s. Any Wisco Hangers going to the REI Ice Age Trail building event this weekend in West Bend? I decided that since I've been plugging away at segments on that trail than I should give back, so I joined the Ice Age Alliance and signed up to work on the trail this weekend.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling - UCR
    Welcome.

except for the fact you are already committed this weekend, there is a group hang.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...roup-Hang-Poll

Keep an eye out for future hangs, as it is a good chance to see various equipment and get information.

-Mike

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Welcome from Up Nort'

Originally from Wisconsin - but after 5 yrs in Houston, TX I am now in Kansas...I still sound like I am from Wisconsin though...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Welcome from central WI. HF is a great forum. One of the most sincerely helpful sites on the net. Come to a group hang and ask questions.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Thanks all.

Yeah, I saw the group hang for this weekend, wish I could make it! I might have to try doing an overnight with my eno with a pad and sleeping bag yet this fall, I should pickup a tarp, so I don't have an excuse.

Thoughts on the HH 70d double wide Hex? It's a bit cheaper on amazon right now... it's that or I drop the money on a Mambajamba from Warbonnet. I don't think the smaller Edge or regular Hex would be big enough for my liking...

Welcome! It is good horse country here too!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Drop the money on the Mambajamba. Or add another $25 for the Superfly. I started with the Mambajamba but really appreciate the doors on the Superfly. Either one a great tarp. I've tried dozens of tarps and keep coming back to warbonnet.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Is there another Wisco group hang before it gets too cold for people not ready for 4 season camping?

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling - UCR
    There was talk about another one before winter, but nothing has been set yet. Watch the other thread and it likely link to any future hangs scheduled.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast