Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ:CS 5 TQ:CS 7.5
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    But the point is it doesn't matter what anyone in these forums thinks about tree straps. The only opinion that matters is that of Mr./Ms. Ranger. If the rule where you want to hang is that you must have tree straps of a certain size, then you must have tree straps of that size. The rules and regulations of the jurisdiction could be completely baseless and do more harm than good, but they are still the "rules of the road". If anyone has won an argument of this type with a park ranger, please let us know. I still remember 30+ years ago having to move a tent because I setup a foot outside of the designated campsite area.

If anyone wants to hang sans tree straps in their own backyard, go for it. If you are going to hang where there are no rules, go for it. If you are a trained arborist and want to get the rules in your area changed, go for it.

Hammock
    Chameleon, wbxlc
    Tarp
    Dutch ultralight
    Insulation
    HG 0 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie, webbing
    OK I did some research and the ban was first put in place in 1964 but was never enforced until this past year. But here is what burns me up it had nothing to do with irresponsible college kids hanging with ropes and killing trees. Here is the quote I found in the college local media.

"Michigan State University has over 22-thousand trees on its 21-hundred acre campus and those trees are used extensively in teaching and research for supporting various classes and a multitude of colleges and researches across the campus who are looking at our trees as a resource for their research," says, Frank Telewski, MSU plant biology professor and curator of the campus arboretum.

Telewski says hammock straps cause damage to the living tissue beneath the bark. This cambial layer may only be a few cells thick. Damage to the tissue could result in the decline or ultimate death of the tree.

So some college professor has made a decision that STRAPS cause damage - he clearly has not done his research on this but just made an assumption. I hate to say this but it figures a highly educated college official would make a stupid decision - not based on fact but his gut feeling of what he thinks the facts should be. So much for higher education.

I hope the college hammock hangers club will be able to educate him but I'm not hopeful.

Now lets stop blaming "stupid" college kids - yes they may do stupid things but this decision was not based in it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Ha! Ha! Gotta ban those pesky beavers if you're gonna be fair. Most people from the 70's can't remember partying.....I think?????? I can't remember.

I work at the university of Cincinnati and they have a nice stand of trees that becomes a hammock colony whenever it is warm. It is a beautiful sight.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Guy View Post
    Now lets stop blaming "stupid" college kids - yes they may do stupid things but this decision was not based in it.
    I'm guessing he saw at least one instance of kids doing something stupid...went to the Internet to get a few sources that said straps did or may cause damage, and used that as the basis for his decision.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambop View Post
    I work at the university of Cincinnati and they have a nice stand of trees that becomes a hammock colony whenever it is warm. It is a beautiful sight.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345