Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    I've been mulling over something like this for some time but I see it as a potential new tarp style rather than an additional add on tarp.

Some of Medicineman4040's custom tarps when in porch mode are almost what I have in mind.

You also get an interesting shape with some of the pole mods on tarps. If you take the tarp and pull one side down to the ground you get a nice open area that just needs a longer tarp.

We almost need a rectangle tarp that's turned 90 degrees from what we currently use. The end result once the corners are tucked in around the hammock would be a bit like a baseball hat. Or for that matter, some trail shelters.

Another shape similarity is that a big tarp in porch mode isn't too terribly far from a Nessmuk shanty tent
    illp26.png

And of course once we're that far I just have to ask... can one make a Kohanski super shelter out of their hammock tarp? Is plain white cuben transparent enough? I know at one time they made aluminized cuben. What if the back wall was reflective and the front was porch mode during the day and you drop it into super shelter mode at night during a Frozen Butt hang?

On the other hand I'll play devil's advocate here. If you're base camping, especially with other people, you'll likely end up with a sort of common area in camp around a fire ring which you don't really want close to your expensive hammock/cuben/silnylon/down etc.

Wouldn't a separate tarp for the common area be a better idea than expanding your hammock's tarp? We've seen people raise surplus parachutes above the fire in some of the group hang videos which seems ideal.

If by yourself, just wrap your hammock around the ridge line of your tarp so its up and out of the way, or take the hammock down completely during the day.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    dr lupton had one at the Halloween Hunger Hang
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg Phoenix
    At first glance this is pretty awesome, however, I'd bee concerned with all the rain that'd come straight down from the main tarp and puddle or drain right into the porch area. Maybe this could be avoided if the porch tarp connected to the main tarps ridgeline?

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    How about tieing this to the very sides of the tarp when the tarp is in porch mode and you use it to lengthen your porch mode on one side? One big porch moded side. Or even use a couple of tarp clips and hook it any where you want. Got to get one!
    Last edited by Acer; 01-06-2016 at 22:44.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

That is a cool idea, If rain runoff was an issue, a longer panel that attached to the far side tarp pullouts would solve that?

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Any update from people that did/ used this?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123