Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps

Question What do you sleep in?

What clothing do you sleep in? Head, neck, torso, arms, hands, pelvis, legs, feet (I think that covers all the body parts...)? What kind of fabrics? Weights? Layers? Warm weather vs. cold weather?
    KJ

recently in 45-50 degree nights (based on weather report) at about 7000 feet I wore medium weight rei socks, thermal pants (the lightest weight), a 100 wt fleece pullover and a snowboarding beanie. I had a 40 degree bag used as a quilt and an army poncho liner UQ. I was a bit cold in the morning but I was also sleeping on a cliff at the edge of a lake which was poor site selection but had an awesome view!

Hammock
    wb blackbird
    Tarp
    12 foot cuben
    Insulation
    phoenix undr quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I use a unzipped Marmot arroyo sleeping bag with a wool watch cap style beanie if it really cold.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    well i use when it's cold under 40 degree underarmor coldgear 2.0 top and bottom fleece pants and fleece long sleeve shirt and a beenie and wool socks
    and on top of that a JRB hudson river quilt

now if we are talking under 30 degree same as above just add in a fleece sleeping bag i got from cheaperthan dirt for $5
    its heavy and warm

now under 20 degree same as above but add on ski pants and maybe my down vest and my fleece balaclava

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    summer?
    boxer briefs and a t-shirt...no socks
    winter?
    strip to my base layer (typically, midweight poly tights and Icebreaker (merino wool) midweight crew)
    2 pairs hiking Smartwool socks
    no gloves
    headwear varies (typically...polar buff as neck and face cover + DIY bomber hat if needed)
    add if necessary
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

I splurge on a mid-weight SmartWool baselayer (fresh...used only for sleeping). They're heavy compared to some synthetics but feel oh-so-good. Fresh wool socks, a fleece balaclava and light fleece gloves round out my all-around sleepwear. If I'm in a hammock I add booties, insulated pants and an insulated jacket with hood and leave the sleeping bag/quilt at home. This system is good for me into the mid-20's at which point my thin pad needs a boost. I think the sleepwear itself can go lower. I'd like to say some of the clothing drops out during the summer but only one of my hammock nights has been above 50...we just don't get warm nights in the Northern Rockies. Consequently, the balaclava, gloves, pants and jacket can be considered as dual use although I've only ever used the gloves while hoofing down the trail.

I'm thinking about another backyard experiment to test the gear at colder temps but that upstairs bedroom is so inviting...

FB

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    For temps down to 20° I wear mid-weight synthetic top and bottom base layers, a pair of fleece lounge pants and a synthetic beanie cap. I might wear my Mountain Hardwear Compressor jacket if I'm feeling chilled. On my feet expedition weight wool socks. Have yet to be out in a hammock in colder temps, so I assume I'd add some more layers any lower than 20°. This is with a light 2/3 underquilt not meant for that cold rating, a CCF pad under feet and inside an REI 25° down bag. I have a REI -5° bag I could try out in colder weather, and I hope to get a warmer UQ soon!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    What clothing do you sleep in? Head, neck, torso, arms, hands, pelvis, legs, feet (I think that covers all the body parts...)? What kind of fabrics? Weights? Layers? Warm weather vs. cold weather?
    I don't hammock in hot weather, so my clothing choices would be for either mild, cool, or arctic, lol.

I go by the layer clothing system, and add as necessary. I always carry a set of longjohns and dry socks that are only for camp.

As the weather gets cooler, I'd add another shirt, a buff, and/or hat, gloves, and if really cold, I add microfleece pants and top, maybe sleep in my Thermawrap jacket and balaclava. I sometimes bring a fleece neck gaitor.

I tend to bring more clothing than I might need, but I'm from the "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" school of thought.

Warm is good

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    men's boxers and a tank top if it is around 70 at night
    lightweight polypro long underwear down to about 40
    I add a wool beanie and fuzzy socks below 40
    I haven't yet gone below about 35
    -Liz -

Always polyester top and bottoms for me,Smartwool socks and beenie which is the same thing i wore for years in my backpacking tent.

I recently returned from a week-end trip that included mid 30's at night and was very comfortable in my hammock with pad and +20 bag.

I must admit I'm a warm/hot sleeper.

Can't wait to try an UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast