Thread: S/S and Quilt?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images

S/S and Quilt?

ok i'm wondering about this whole quilt thing.i have been pricing winter bags and am wondering if a s/s is enough to just quilt it.i have a overly talented sewer of a wife and if a quilt is possible for really cold nights then making one is the way to go for me -last year i was in a inadequate bag so this year i'm gonna change things up but unsure if a quilt is sufficient for say -10 to -20 c thx

-20 C = -4 F if my math is correct. The only underquilt capable of taking you that low I'm aware of is the Mt. Washington 4-season by JRB. Near or below zero F (about -18 C) most folks are using pads. I've had good luck with the Speer Segmented Pad Extender from Speer hammocks with a thermarest.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    -20 C = -4 F if my math is correct. The only underquilt capable of taking you that low I'm aware of is the Mt. Washington 4-season by JRB. Near or below zero F (about -18 C) most folks are using pads. I've had good luck with the Speer Segmented Pad Extender from Speer hammocks with a thermarest.
    Not me...
    the leg pad I have and use can be a supplement to my UQ (a winter Yeti) but is by no means the primary insulation.
    I have used the Winter Yeti alone down to 10*F and added a 3/8" pad under my butt at 4*F (precautionary). still inside the comfort zone
    Shug used a blue ccf, BA insulated pad and a full UQ at -26*F here
    Cannibal has used his Winter Yeti below 0*F stand alone, I believe.

I would think of doubling up UQs at seriously low temps...pads included to supplement
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    While the Super Shelter was augmented for 1 night down to -26* F I would be loath to try and do that for any length of time. The Mt. Washington is reportedly good to those kinds of temps But I would think combining a lighter underquilt with the super shelter (if you already have one) would be a very feasible option. I have been down to ~12*F with my super shelter and a cheap-o 0* sleeping bag. It can be done.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    ok i'm wondering about this whole quilt thing.i have been pricing winter bags and am wondering if a s/s is enough to just quilt it.i have a overly talented sewer of a wife and if a quilt is possible for really cold nights then making one is the way to go for me -last year i was in a inadequate bag so this year i'm gonna change things up but unsure if a quilt is sufficient for say -10 to -20 c thx
    There is a Canadian here ( in Nova Scotia? sp?) who has used a SS, by itself at well below 0F. Who was that, ToddKMiller? Any one remember? Any way, he might be a good one to consult. And of course KWPapke used a well augmented one to minus 26F.

I think it is a fine system for the cost and weight, but I for sure couldn't ever push a stock SS by itself to those kinds of temps. But I think I would have no problem if augmenting with pads or adding down parkas and such to the undercover.

It probably wouldn't take a whole bunch to push a JRB MWUQ or WB winter Yeti to the temps you are mentioning, but you probably would need a little something extra. Of course, depending greatly on your cold tolerance.

Turk would be another one well able to advise you, if you can find him. PM him.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    thx guys my research will continue.-last year i was down to -15sh with just the s/s and -7c bag and was not toasty but i never died either,that said,i'm not going to do that again as i will be alot farther north on some trips this winter where it can get a whole lot colder.i think the s/s with space blanket works well enough on it's own but maybe i will still need the bottom of a bag to trap more heat in.the real problem for me then is to tell my wife and 5kids that daddy needs 400+ bucks for a good sleeping bag to sleep outside a few nights this winter-hard to justify for a poor man

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I augmented my HH SS with a thicker full size open cell pad cut from a Wally World egg crate foam twin sized bed topper, and a 1/2 size underquilt (butt to shoulders coverage) made from a doubled up poncho liner. It took me to warmer than comfortable up in Oswegatchie earlier this month (night time temps unknown, but I woke with a layer of cracking ice from the condensation on the inside of the tarp). I'll be trying the same set up for the 2010 winter trip to the Adirondacks.
    Positives:The foam topper cost me about 12 bucks and fills the Under Cover edge to edge and nearly end to end. I simply stuck it in and then put my loaded pack in to weight the hammock and then trimmed and darted the pad until it fit (maybe 5 minutes total work with some EMT shears).
    On the negative: it is incredible bulky, requiring an MSS 9 strap compression sack to get it down to a travel size, and I have no idea on the weight but probably around 1.5 pounds.

-Mike

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Use your down

Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    i think the s/s with space blanket works well enough on it's own but maybe i will still need the bottom of a bag to trap more heat in.the real problem for me then is to tell my wife and 5kids that daddy needs 400+ bucks for a good sleeping bag to sleep outside a few nights this winter-hard to justify for a poor man
    I spent half that for my synthetic 0F REI bag. Yes, despite the common wisdom, having a bag beneath you makes a HUGE difference, especially with synth fill.

Also considering augmenting your SS with your down jacket in the UC. Makes a huge difference, and unless you wear it with you in the bag its not doing you any good sitting around. Last winter I regularly went to 0F or slightly below with the down jacket in the UC.

--Kurt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I spent half that for my synthetic 0F REI bag. Yes, despite the common wisdom, having a bag beneath you makes a HUGE difference, especially with synth fill.

Also considering augmenting your SS with your down jacket in the UC. Makes a huge difference, and unless you wear it with you in the bag its not doing you any good sitting around. Last winter I regularly went to 0F or slightly below with the down jacket in the UC.

--Kurt
    You used that special ( name?) thin pad in the UC, right? Do you think that weighted the UC enough to cause enough sag to prevent the UC elastic tension from compressing the down parka or bag? Thus allowing it to loft up fully underneath you, and just enough to contact your back?

I have often wondered about that pad and it's function, other than MAYBE providing some insulation of it's own plus some additional wind proofing. Also, compression of the (especially with down) loft by the SSUC elastics definitely compresses loft at least some what. But it would seem you pretty much get full warmth out of the parkas you place in the UC, considering your temps. Which got me to wondering if the pad's weight might have helped counter that tension a bit or a lot? Any theories?

• + New Posts