Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Packing system

Curious how you all pack your complete systems...hammock, anchor points, tarp, quilts.

Thought I was doing okay on my maiden hammocking voyage in the BW a couple weeks ago 'till a fatal flaw was rudely exposed following a rainy night/morning that we needed to travel afterward. Had my WB hammock and tarp in their respective stuff sacks along w/ both quilts (loose) all in an E-Vent (size large) compression bag. All packs down to about the size of two cans of Fosters. However, I didn't anticipate the problem of a soaked tarp being packed next to down quilts. Oops. Fortunately I pack along plastic grocery sacks for bringing out trash, so I put the tarp in one of them. Problem mostly solved, but I'm looking for something better.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Strap the tarp to the outside of the pack if it's wet! Easier if you have some snake skins too. I put the snake skins in a sack most the time anyway, just to keep them from getting unruly.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    My tarp always goes in the outer mesh pocket of my pack. That way if i put it away wet it's no problem for the rest of my gear. Plus if I need to set up in the rain it's always in easy reach without opening up my pack to the weather.

Tree straps and whoopies also go in the mesh if wet.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Store in the outside pocket of your pack. My rain gear goes in there too. If you don't have one, order an add-on from Mountaingoat. I also keep mine rolled up in snakeskins. I only store items inside my pack in a dry sack that absolutely cannot get wet. Mostly just Hammock, Insulation, clothes. Everything else gets it's own ziplock bag. Fire kit, food and hygene get double bagged and stuff sacked.

Many of the newer lightweight packs are designed with rapid drying in mind rather than being resistant to wet conditions. I still like to spray the bottom of my golite with Campdry before heading out, but that's probably more for piece of mind, and the fact that I still have the can out after spraying my wind pants a little before each outing.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf8895 View Post
    My tarp always goes in the outer mesh pocket of my pack. That way if i put it away wet it's no problem for the rest of my gear. Plus if I need to set up in the rain it's always in easy reach without opening up my pack to the weather.

Tree straps and whoopies also go in the mesh if wet.
    Ditto. Tarp always on the outside. If weather is bad I'll leave my guy lines on the tarp so that I can quickly hang it from a tree or someplace when we stop for food or a break too.

Top and under quilts in compression sacks on the inside of my pack. I carry a piece of old plastic sheeting and if the weather is horrendous I'll wrap them in this extra layer of protection inside the pack as well.

Hammock ans suspension can vary. If it's all dry I'll stuff it w/ straps and snakeskins inside my pack. If damp I'll hang it on the outside in the snakeskins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

If this BWCAW trip was a backpacking trip, there's good advice in the earlier posts. If however this was a canoe trip, you're probably carrying packs that don't have outside pockets. I'd go ahead and put all of the dry stuff in the compression sack. No problem. I'd pack the tarp, in its original stuffsack, between the pack liner and the top flap.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    I stuff my quilts into a trash compactor bag - no stuff sack needed. On top of that goes my hammock and clothes in their own stuff sack and perhaps a fleece or down jacket/vest if the trip calls for it. I then roll the compactor bag down and on top goes tarp (in silnylon bag) food, cook kit, etc... Everything outside the compactor bag could theoretically get wet (never does). I keep my food in a roll top bag and my cook kit goes in one as well. I then keep a grocery bag in my hanging kit for rainy nights...just run your line through a small hole in the grocery bag and it acts like an umbrella for your kit.

Check out Shug's videos for a similar method.

Hammock
    Camping King Hammock Dual layer
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I use a zpack pack liner, i stuff my TQ and UQ in the bottom. no stuff sac for them . then I ll put my clothing bag and my hammock in that pack liner. seal that up . ill throw on top of the closed pack liner my cook set, and toiletries and food bag. I keep my tarp on the outside of my pack with my suspension kit.
    I use a 65L osprey atmos pack ... about to upgrade to a Zpack in the near futur

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Tarp and hammock suspension go in a mesh bag that goes in an outside mesh pocket of my pack. Simple reason: these can be wet and I don't want wet in contact with dry.

Hammock with underquilt still attached and top quilt inside go inside a pack liner in my pack.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by hikenbike View Post
    I stuff my quilts into a trash compactor bag - no stuff sack needed. On top of that goes my hammock and clothes in their own stuff sack and perhaps a fleece or down jacket/vest if the trip calls for it. I then roll the compactor bag down and on top goes tarp (in silnylon bag) food, cook kit, etc... Everything outside the compactor bag could theoretically get wet (never does). I keep my food in a roll top bag and my cook kit goes in one as well. I then keep a grocery bag in my hanging kit for rainy nights...just run your line through a small hole in the grocery bag and it acts like an umbrella for your kit.

Check out Shug's videos for a similar method.
    This made me laugh, this is almost the exact way I pack and bundle everything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast