Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    This is how I do mine. I've been meaning to swap the nite-ize biners out for plain vanilla s-biners, but I never get around to it and those are always in the bag with my cordage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie

Where is that outside Tarp ridgeline thread?

I never thought about using s-biners to attach tarp ridgeline tie outs to the prussik knot, coool. I was trying to get the outside ridgeline set-up without using any hardware, just cordage. Where is that thread started by Tee-dee that shows how to do the outside tarp ridgeline with prussiks? I've been looking for it but can't seem to find it again. It was excellent on how to do it. Can anybody tell me where to look for it?
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post

I never thought about using s-biners to attach tarp ridgeline tie outs to the prussik knot, coool. I was trying to get the outside ridgeline set-up without using any hardware, just cordage. Where is that thread started by Tee-dee that shows how to do the outside tarp ridgeline with prussiks? I've been looking for it but can't seem to find it again. It was excellent on how to do it. Can anybody tell me where to look for it?
    Can't help with the thread search, but I think the idea was to take the loop from the prussik, put it through the tarp tab or D-ring, and attach a wee trail stick to the end of the passed-thru loop via a lark's head. When you tighten up the trail stick comes up against the tab or D-ring and pulls the tarp along.

Look ma, no hardware. Nice idea. Love dem trail sticks.

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    BTW - I went to a ridgeline because the grommets on the tie-outs with my Speer winter tarp were beginning to pull out. Placing the ridgeline under (as you point out) was the quick solution and avoided my needing to reinforce the tie-outs. Maybe I should look into reinforcing (or another tarp).

Thanks.
    OK, that is partly an answer for something I was wondering about, i.e., why should I switch to this method. Which I have considered. I use skins. So I hang and center my tarp in those, which gives me a "line" between the trees. If it is a clear night with rain free forecast, I might not even roll the tarp out. This is pretty convenient, though the separate RL approach might have an advantage or 2 I am missing?

But avoiding stress on the pull outs? Hmmm, maybe that is a good reason to switch. I have not really noticed any problem on the seam sealed tarp RL yet, but I have noticed a bit on some of the side tie outs. And I worry about some of the tie outs that are used in the Baker Hut configuration, which are not reinforced by the tarp RL and seam sealing.

And maybe it will be a faster "centering" sliding the prussick along the RL, than just hanging the skins and loosening to recenter as needed?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    BC, I think this is what you are looking for????Here.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, that is partly an answer for something I was wondering about, i.e., why should I switch to this method. Which I have considered. I use skins. So I hang and center my tarp in those, which gives me a "line" between the trees. If it is a clear night with rain free forecast, I might not even roll the tarp out. This is pretty convenient, though the separate RL approach might have an advantage or 2 I am missing?

But avoiding stress on the pull outs? Hmmm, maybe that is a good reason to switch. I have not really noticed any problem on the seam sealed tarp RL yet, but I have noticed a bit on some of the side tie outs. And I worry about some of the tie outs that are used in the Baker Hut configuration, which are not reinforced by the tarp RL and seam sealing.

And maybe it will be a faster "centering" sliding the prussick along the RL, than just hanging the skins and loosening to recenter as needed?
    Yep. My thoughts exactly, BillyBob. You and I share a similar hanging style.

I am looking for a suspension method for my new tarp. I just got a JRB 10x11 with the idea that I could use multiple configurations, but was worried about the lack of a reinforced ridge line in any but the A-frame 11-foot ridge line config.

I really like TeeDee's method of prussiks and toggles, but I also really like being able to have a "snake-skinned" tarp ready to deploy if needed. My current setup (on my HH hex) doesn't allow water to drip into the tarp, is really easy to setup and adjust, and everything except the stakes is connected into "one piece." Here's a photo or two:

It would be nicer to reduce stress on the tie-outs, have even easier adjustability, and reduce a bit of weight, though.

Decisions, decisions....
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    Where is that thread started by Tee-dee that shows how to do the outside tarp ridgeline with prussiks? I've been looking for it but can't seem to find it again. It was excellent on how to do it. Can anybody tell me where to look for it?
    Here's the thread you're looking for. Pics of the toggle/prussic method begin at post ~40.

There's good info in that thread.

-----
    If anyone really needs to locate an older thread and can't after due diligence on search effort, PM me. I can likely help.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Yep. My thoughts exactly, BillyBob. You and I share a similar hanging style.

I am looking for a suspension method for my new tarp. I just got a JRB 10x11 with the idea that I could use multiple configurations, but was worried about the lack of a reinforced ridge line in any but the A-frame 11-foot ridge line config.

I really like TeeDee's method of prussiks and toggles, but I also really like being able to have a "snake-skinned" tarp ready to deploy if needed. My current setup (on my HH hex) doesn't allow water to drip into the tarp, is really easy to setup and adjust, and everything except the stakes is connected into "one piece." Here's a photo or two:

It would be nicer to reduce stress on the tie-outs, have even easier adjustability, and reduce a bit of weight, though.

Decisions, decisions....
    You can lose the black biner on your tarp line without sacrificing anything about your setup. Just replace it with a large bowline loop instead, and wrap the line around the tree then put all the other ridgline through the loop to secure it to the tree. Same with the big orange biner on your tree hugger, just put it through the loop on the hugger. I assume you have another orange biner on the other hugger, losing all these biners should help you go lower in weight significantly.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    You can lose the black biner on your tarp line without sacrificing anything about your setup. Just replace it with a large bowline loop instead, and wrap the line around the tree then put all the other ridgline through the loop to secure it to the tree. Same with the big orange biner on your tree hugger, just put it through the loop on the hugger. I assume you have another orange biner on the other hugger, losing all these biners should help you go lower in weight significantly.
    Thanks, but the biners are what allowed me to keep everything together as one unit--nothing gets lost that way. I'm no longer sure that's necessary, though, and I'm switching to whoopie slings with toggles. With that system, the biner is unnecessary.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Re: over vs under, I remember seeing somewhere (not even sure it was on this forum) that the tarp ridgeline can cause wear to the tarp if underneath. This was avoided with the line over the tarp. Is there anything significant to this precaution, or is it worth the protection of the tie-outs to have a bit more wear in that area?
    --Scott <><

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast