Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

tarp ridge line - over vs under

After getting a bit wet under my tarp last weekend, I am looking at reconfiguring my setup. the first thing I am wondering is if I should have my tarp ridgeline running under the tarp or over it.

I currently have a short length of cord with a prussik on each of the tarp ridge tie-outs. The prussiks are on a ridgeline that goes under the tarp, but in the downpoar Friday night, I got a significant amount running down this line and dripping into the hammock at various points under the tarp. I've noticed several photos in the gallery that seem to show setups where the ridgeline goes over the tarp.
    Q - does having the ridgeline over the tarp put additional stress on the sewn-in tarp ridge or the tieouts (because it holds itself)?
    Q - other then drip line is there anthing that can be done to prevent water running along these lines? (I also got some running past the drip lines on my BB)

Thanks.
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Most of the time, when we say ridgeline we are not talking about an actual line. I think what you're seeing in pictures is a seam. Many tarps have tie out loops or (MacCat) D rings, and the lines are tied to those. Ridgeline means the top ridge of a taut tarp, whether there's a seam there or not.

I haven't had the need for driplines yet but usually take cord for that.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    After getting a bit wet under my tarp last weekend, I am looking at reconfiguring my setup. the first thing I am wondering is if I should have my tarp ridgeline running under the tarp or over it.

I currently have a short length of cord with a prussik on each of the tarp ridge tie-outs. The prussiks are on a ridgeline that goes under the tarp, but in the downpoar Friday night, I got a significant amount running down this line and dripping into the hammock at various points under the tarp. I've noticed several photos in the gallery that seem to show setups where the ridgeline goes over the tarp.
    Q - does having the ridgeline over the tarp put additional stress on the sewn-in tarp ridge or the tieouts (because it holds itself)?
    Q - other then drip line is there anthing that can be done to prevent water running along these lines? (I also got some running past the drip lines on my BB)

Thanks.
    Tarp ridge line -- quickest and simplest method for hanging a tarp.

The ridge line can be under or over the tarp.

You have already discovered the disadvantage of under. Drip strings can solve this problem. The advantage to having the ridge line under the tarp is that it can double as a clothes line.

Running the ridge line over the tarp has solved the water problem for me - any water that gets past the tarp attachment points just drops on the tarp. The disadvantage - you lose the clothes line.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    one more point....
    you get more stress on the tarp ridgeline tie-out stitching when you hang below---but essentially the same stress as you would if you didn't use a ridgeline cord at all. Whether this matters or not depends on the tarp, its state, and and how "beefy" the ridgeline tie-outs are.

OES tarps have very beefy tie-outs.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    one more point....
    you get more stress on the tarp ridgeline tie-out stitching when you hang below---but essentially the same stress as you would if you didn't use a ridgeline cord at all. Whether this matters or not depends on the tarp, its state, and and how "beefy" the ridgeline tie-outs are.

OES tarps have very beefy tie-outs.

Grizz
    BTW - I went to a ridgeline because the grommets on the tie-outs with my Speer winter tarp were beginning to pull out. Placing the ridgeline under (as you point out) was the quick solution and avoided my needing to reinforce the tie-outs. Maybe I should look into reinforcing (or another tarp).

Thanks.
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

I would just keep the setup you have and add some prussik knotted drop strings that you can slide along to keep the water from getting all the way to the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    I would just keep the setup you have and add some prussik knotted drop strings that you can slide along to keep the water from getting all the way to the hammock.
    I need to add these, does it make any difference what the drop strings are made of?

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    I need to add these, does it make any difference what the drop strings are made of?
    my experience is that the more absorbent the drip line the better it works, it just sucks the moisture right off the main line.

even a shred of cotton cloth works well.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    my experience is that the more absorbent the drip line the better it works, it just sucks the moisture right off the main line.

even a shred of cotton cloth works well.
    Thanks I think I will try to find some cotton shoe laces.

I also want to try making a small gear hammock to hang from the tarp ridge line.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    [QUOTE=Barry;165188]BTW - I went to a ridgeline because the grommets on the tie-outs with my Speer winter tarp were beginning to pull out. Placing the ridgeline under (as you point out) was the quick solution and avoided my needing to reinforce the tie-outs. Maybe I should look into reinforcing (or another tarp).

Do you think if you used a toggle under the grommet there would be less stress...or could you possibly use less taughtness with the prussik knots and still get a good stretch on the tarp to prevent wind noise from a loose tarp. Would the problems (enough taughtness and resulting wind noise, and stress on the grommets) be solved if you used a WB Big Mamajamba tarp (or any tarp that is cantenary and has D-ring attachment points) with outside ridgeline and then a drip line tied at the tarp's ridgeline D-ring attachment points, with or without the toggle? Since the WB tarps have D-ring attachment points and are cantenary cut wouldn't it be possible to achieve the required taughtness, no grommet stress, and maybe not need the drip line?

Just thinking out loud , what does anybody think?
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast