Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images

Tarp + CRL = twisted tarp HELP!

So I've been trying a CRL lately with my new MacCat Tarp. My CRL setup is a dutch hook spliced onto a 32' piece of Zing-It. On the tarp I have a fleaz on one end with a flea collar larks headed to the D ring. On the other end of the tarp I have a continuous loop larks headed on the D ring. I have stored the tarp in both a double ended stuff sack or snake skins. My problem is whenever I put the Zing-It line through the D rings before string it up I never know if the tarp is twisted or not. 99% of the time I end up with it twisted and I have to then loosen the CRL. Unhook the Dutch hook. Run the line back from around the tree and pull it back through the D ring. Then untwist the tarp and go back through all the steps to set up the tarp.

Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have a solution for this?
    Last edited by barbermike; 10-01-2015 at 19:29.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Why are you running the RL through the D ring? I have seen it done that way but I always thought it was a bit extra work for no clear gain. I hang the RL and then attach the tarp to the line and guy it out from there. This way you clip the one end onto the RL and then straiten it out as you move to the other end and attach it.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Why are you running the RL through the D ring? I have seen it done that way but I always thought it was a bit extra work for no clear gain. I hang the RL and then attach the tarp to the line and guy it out from there. This way you clip the one end onto the RL and then straiten it out as you move to the other end and attach it.
    Im trying to hang the ridgeline so that it has the "V" shape going back to the tree. That way the hammock suspension line doesn't interfere with the tarp CRL. I used to do it this way with two lines.

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    running the rl like pgibson stated will still give you the V your looking for... been doing it like he states for a while and no prob

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Try like this perhaps:
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Try like this perhaps:
    I used the two mini carabiners on prusics first before switching to the Dutchware. Admittedly that worked pretty well. I still would get it twisted but it was much easier to fix. The problem was with the prusics I couldn't get my tarp ridge tight enough and it would sag. Hence why I am now trying the dutchware.
    I may go back to using the double ended stuff sack instead of snake skins. Problem seems to worsen with the skins.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    So I've been messing with it more inside the house tonight. Snake skins aren't working well at all for this method of CRL. I went back and tried the double ended stuff sack. First I watched Derek's CRL video using dutch bling. Picked up what I think to be a trick. Leaving the ends of the tarp sticking out either side of the double ended stuff sack about 6" helps with getting twisted up.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I tried the V but never understood what was to be gained by it (still don't). So you actually detach the tarp from the ridgeline and pack it separately? Sounds like extra work.

I just roll the tarp up and next time I deploy it, it comes out as untangled as ever. I have never, ever, had a twisted ridgeline or tarp (note: using soft-shackle prusiks to attach tarp to CRL, with Dutch hook on one end and Flyz/Fleaz or Wasps on the other).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    +1 What SilvrSurfr said. I've been using a CRL since I got my first real tarp. Both my Superflies hang below the CRL on short cords with klemheist knots (like a prussic). On my MacCat it goes under the tarp since that one has a flat ridgeline. Same basic setup with the cords/klemheist.

I'm not a fan of the double-ended stuffsacks and instead tend to use some form of snakeskins. The lines get hanked then the whole tarp rolled from the bottom up against the CRL. Skins go on...no problems. Never had one get twisted

Never seen the point of the "V". It looks good in the videos but I don't have any issues with clearance between the tarp and hammock suspension. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Agreed, that V thing is overrated. I use stingers and clipping the line at the tree is a more efficient use of cordage that could help with longer hangs.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast