Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images

Two hammocks under one tarp hanging suggestions

My son and I are planning an overnight hike and hang for next weekend. This will be my son's first overnight hang and he's very excited. I have two hammocks but only one tarp, (a Yukon outfitters walkabout rainfly diamond shaped tarp) and was looking for advice on how to hang our hammocks to maximise my tarp coverage. Can it be done, and if so how? If need be i can bring a cheap blue utility tarp, but would like to avoid the extra weight if possible. Would hope we won't need a tarp, but this is Florida, and you never know. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    From what I've heard, a lot of the rain in Florida is straight-down (especially if you're avoiding coastal areas, where winds are more variable). The Yukon Outfitter tarp is really only good for that kind of rain. Even if you hang low on the bottom hammock and go bunk style, you'll need probably 40 to 50 inches per hammock (from ground to ridgeline - if you don't have a ridgeline, then use the end of your hammock as a guide).

So that means you have to hang the tarp 80 to 100 inches above the ground. So that's 6.5 to 8.3 ft. off the ground. In a diamond configuration, you'll just have no protection from blowing precipitation (and I hope you don't have any).

How come you have to use the Yukon Walkabout in a diamond configuration? The specs say:

Dimensions: 11 ft 10 inches x 9 ft 4 inches (measured diagonally)

I'm not sure what the heck "measured diagonally" means, or why you can't hang the tarp in A-Frame. The math is too much for me (I know the Pythagorean Theorem applies here, but can't figure out how to apply it! ), but it sounds like your tarp is exceedingly skimpy. Like I said, pray for straight-down rain!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    That tarp is too small. Just go to a store and buy a 8X10 blue tarp and bring both or a 10X12 to share it will cost less than $10. Add some line and you're good to go
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

How come you have to use the Yukon Walkabout in a diamond configuration? The specs say:

Dimensions: 11 ft 10 inches x 9 ft 4 inches (measured diagonally)
    SS: the tarp is meant to be set up as a diamond config. That's how Yukon intended it's use and why they give you it in those measures. Otherwise, you couldn't put one hammock under it, let alone 2

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    That tarp is too small. Just go to a store and buy a 8X10 blue tarp and bring both or a 10X12 to share it will cost less than $10. Add some line and you're good to go
    +1. Your tarp is too small for 2 hammocks, period. Save yourself pain and brainpower now and just look towards the next simplest and inexpensive solution, such as getting a cheap poly for 2, or getting another small fly and hang separate. My fiance and I hang under one VERY BIG tarp a lot, and let me tell you, it's nice, but it has drawbacks too. when hanging two under a tarp, you need magical trees and find yourself searching longer and harder for that perfect scenario. Set up is never as quick and simple, even when it's pretty ideal. I need about 3-4 trees spaced perfect distance and width wise to fit it all nicely. Then again, I'm using a 16 foot tarp, which adds to config issues.

But still, one hammock to one tarp is just 2 trees, which is SO easy to find and setup. Don't get me wrong, I love hanging us both under our one GIANT tarp,(and you don't have to go as big as 16 feet) but one tarp each is very simple. Part of the reason why we do it is it makes a big private palace that she loves ( I love it too though). We are also using it mainly at group hangs and car camping trips with family and friends, hence the reason she likes having "our space." If your goal is not privacy together (and if you're hiking just the 2 of you, that shouldn't be an issue), or comfort to be under ONE tarp together, but more just coverage for both you and your son, I think just pick up a small cheap second tarp for the trip...
    Even if you do want to hang under one, always good to have a second tarp incase hanging together is just not ideal. But, as always, YMMV and HYOH. This is just my experience from hanging 2 under one.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

I've been hanging 2 hammocks on 2 trees with a superfly for a while now. Dutch can hook you up. I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse that the girlfriend is now a hanger, but we do sleep much more comfortably in the woods now.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Thanks for the input. I have several blue utility tarps laying around,and plenty of line, guess I'll bring one. I was hoping to fit both hammocks under one tarp mainly to keep my son close by. He's camped with me and boy scouts before, but never in a hammock and never anywhere as remote as we are going. Probaly just being paranoid, but isn't that a dad's job? I've camped at spot before and know there are two trees the perfect distance apart with a great view, guess I'll just try to find more trees closer together for us.

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Big blue tarps FTW if you want to keep close together. Just run a ridgeline and you should be able to get more than enough coverage! Those big tarps can go up a million different ways and provide coverage for you! Bonus feature... If you can make a frame out of saplings, place the tarp over and weight it down around the edges, dig a pit or get a metal bucket and add hot rocks add water to the hot rocks... BOOM! Backcountry Sauna!

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL Integrated
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah 9 and 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, CDT DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    If the forecast is clear, you can get away with your tarp. Just hang the hammocks bunk style. My son and I did the same thing with a similar setup (Kelty Noah 9), and to help with the light rain we got that night I just hung the tarp low to my son's hammock, and pulled the sides in tight. It held up even with a light rain.

I did upgrade to a Noah 12 to ensure we have enough coverage though.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    My wife an i hang under one tarp, unless the rain is coming down sideways. Here is a good thread on it with some good suggestions.

Link
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast