Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Im over half way done with ripping out the seams on my quilt. I will need to make a big push tonight and tomorrow to have it done by Friday's trip. It is supposed to be in the mid 30's on Friday night so I am planning on packing my pad just in case the UQ doesn't keep me warm enough.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I am in the same boat! Our machine decided to stop working so I taught myself to hand-sew with online videos and am hand sewing the whole thing!!
    I finished my TQ on Monday night and I have about 20% of the grosgrain channel sewed on to the UQ trying to get it finished for camping with the Scouts this weekend.
    They are calling for low to mid 30's overnight and possible snow showers for us this weekend so this will certainly be a true test.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by JPFREEK View Post
    I am in the same boat! Our machine decided to stop working so I taught myself to hand-sew with online videos and am hand sewing the whole thing!!
    I finished my TQ on Monday night and I have about 20% of the grosgrain channel sewed on to the UQ trying to get it finished for camping with the Scouts this weekend.
    They are calling for low to mid 30's overnight and possible snow showers for us this weekend so this will certainly be a true test.
    WOW!! I don't think I would have the patience to hand sew my UQ.

What design did you go with? I am almost done ripping the horizontal seams on leaving only vertical tubes. However I am not sure how I want to proceed. One idea is to shorten it a little and consolidate the down. My other thought was to cannibalize a second Costco quilt and over stuff it with that. I realize this is probably more work than I need to do and I could have just sewn the two together with some creative folding to have the same outcome, but I wanted to give it a go at a real DIY project.

Anyone overstuff their Costco quilt with another one? How much loft did you get?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by RutherfordTheBrave View Post
    WOW!! I don't think I would have the patience to hand sew my UQ.

What design did you go with? I am almost done ripping the horizontal seams on leaving only vertical tubes. However I am not sure how I want to proceed. One idea is to shorten it a little and consolidate the down. My other thought was to cannibalize a second Costco quilt and over stuff it with that. I realize this is probably more work than I need to do and I could have just sewn the two together with some creative folding to have the same outcome, but I wanted to give it a go at a real DIY project.

Anyone overstuff their Costco quilt with another one? How much loft did you get?
    I am simply adding grosgrain channels to all four sides and running shock cord through for the suspension. I will probably fine ture it more later but given my time crunch I don't have the time to experiment with different designs just yet.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    I finished ripping the seams on my first UQ however I paniced and did not have time to harvest down from another quilt to overstuff the 1st one. So in a pinch I used two of my other quilts to make a folded full length UQ. I'll let you know how it works out. Need to get out to Costco and buy more quilts.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ts-using-folds

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I finally finished hand sewing my UQ. No pic as it was almost midnight and I still had to get up at 5am.

I am camping with it tonight so I'll have some fine tuning to do in the field before I crash tonight. It's suppose to get down to 36* tonight and 29* tomorrow night so I'll be taking an extra sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc. to add to my quilts as needed for warmth.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I tested out my quilts for the first time this weekend and the temps were C-O-L-D-!
    Friday night got down to 29* and was pretty windy and Saturday night dropped to 27* with snow and sleet.

Friday night I set things up and I wore flannel pants a thermal t-shirt, wool socks and an UnderArmour sweatshirt. In the hammock I just used the Costco quilts and a fleece blanket. I was chilly but not cold and not too chilly to sleep fairly well.

Saturday night I added a CCF pad to the hammock and wore comparible clothing. I was very comfortable.

I would say these are probably 40* quilts, but it's nice to know that they are still useful when the temps drop significantly.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I tested out my quilts for the first time this weekend and the temps were C-O-L-D-!
    Friday night got down to 29* and was pretty windy and Saturday night dropped to 27* with snow and sleet.

Friday night I set things up and I wore flannel pants a thermal t-shirt, wool socks and an UnderArmour sweatshirt. In the hammock I just used the Costco quilts and a fleece blanket. I was chilly but not cold and not too chilly to sleep fairly well.

Saturday night I added a CCF pad to the hammock and wore comparible clothing. I was very comfortable.

I would say these are probably 40* quilts, but it's nice to know that they are still useful when the temps drop significantly.
    Nice jpfreek! What was your design? I was looking for it, but didn't see your build plan
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I went very simple for both as this was my first DIY project and the sewing machine broke just as I started so I ended up hand sewing everything. The TQ I simply folded in half and sewed the bottom and then about 20" up the side seem. I did not add any material to widen the foot box like others have. For the UQ I added grosgrain channels along all four sides. The long sides (70" on the quilt) I used 2-30" pieces of grosgrain and left the middle open. When I ran the shock cord through I added a cord lock to the middle. My though process was that it would allow me some adjustment without having to get out of the hammock. I used 1/8" shock cord on the 70" sides and 3/8" on the short sides. This was only because I used what I had. I still want to adjust the cord lengths as I left them all quite long "just in case" and I want to get some different/stronger cord locks for the long sides and the cord tended to slide during the night.
    End result I am very happy with how everything turned out and expect I will get may nights use from these.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I went very simple for both as this was my first DIY project and the sewing machine broke just as I started so I ended up hand sewing everything. The TQ I simply folded in half and sewed the bottom and then about 20" up the side seem. I did not add any material to widen the foot box like others have. For the UQ I added grosgrain channels along all four sides. The long sides (70" on the quilt) I used 2-30" pieces of grosgrain and left the middle open. When I ran the shock cord through I added a cord lock to the middle. My though process was that it would allow me some adjustment without having to get out of the hammock. I used 1/8" shock cord on the 70" sides and 3/8" on the short sides. This was only because I used what I had. I still want to adjust the cord lengths as I left them all quite long "just in case" and I want to get some different/stronger cord locks for the long sides and the cord tended to slide during the night.
    End result I am very happy with how everything turned out and expect I will get may nights use from these.
    so your UQ is the regular throw with grossgrain around it? It is 70x60 with no mods or folding to the dimensions of the throw? It is a single layer then, right?
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast