Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Enigma
    Suspension
    Hybrid Straps, BH

Bug Net Options

For those of you who do not have a "fixed" bug net on your hammock, what do you do during bug season. I have an Enos bug net, but it covers the entire hammock. Wondering if there is a lighter, more efficient option if I don't want to purchase another hammock with an integrated net.
    RB
    https://lighterpack.com/r/axwxk6

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have three BIAS Fronkey bugnets, two Buginators (8.8 oz.) and a NanoBuginator (7 oz). Dutch now also makes the Fronkey bugnet and I believe it comes in around 7 oz., maybe a little less. BIAS also makes a Nanobuginator UL, which is from even lighter nanoseeum (5.5 oz., as I recall). As I recall, Dutch will also make the same version if you ask.

What's the difference between them all? I would assume durability - the lighter it is, the less durable it is. I haven't had any snags or anything on my bugnets, though there is some wear near the ridgeline opening. I guess that's the place it has the most stress.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Enigma
    Suspension
    Hybrid Straps, BH
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll check those out.
    RB

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    I can highly recommend the Dutch Fronkey style. Works great and I'll just leave it on the hammock until bug season ends.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Enigma
    Suspension
    Hybrid Straps, BH
    Those all seem similar to what I have now. Has anyone tried the HUG Half Bug Net from Arrowhead Equipment? it looks more minimal and the price it right.
    RB

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    As long as you're willing to keep your lower half covered the HUG will work fine. On those hot summer nights that's not always easy to do but this time of year should be no problem.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Enigma
    Suspension
    Hybrid Straps, BH
    So, it seems like my ENOS might be the thing to stick with - at least until I want to invest in a cheaper/lighter version of a full coverage net. Thanks
    RB

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fodder View Post
    Those all seem similar to what I have now. Has anyone tried the HUG Half Bug Net from Arrowhead Equipment? it looks more minimal and the price it right.
    As I recall, you can't find a heavier bug net than the ENO - it weighs twice as much as anything discussed here.

The HUG just isn't in my plans - I involuntarily kick off the TQ when I get hot at night and would get ravaged by bugs.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I made a HUG and like it for certain situations. It's about the easiest access you are going to get on a hammock with a bug net. Not that the Fronkey style is difficult, but you don't even have to think about it with the HUG. That said, I only use it when I'm not planning on lounging in my hammock. If all I'm doing is setting it up late and going straight to sleep it works for me (hiking fast and light). I don't have a problem with kicking off my quilts but some people do. It's something to think about. More often than not I take the Fronkey style bug net and don't have to worry about bugs at all.

As SilvrSurfr mentioned, I believe the ENO bug net is a lot heavier than the ones mentioned here, even if it looks like a somewhat similar design. I think it weighs 16 oz. if I'm not mistaken.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I use fronkey's that I made from tulle: super light and insanely cheap... That said, it is not the strongest material, and here is what I don't love about the fronkey... It goes on first, or if you're like me, you just keep it on through the season. What that means is that if I am setting stuff like my UQ, or messing with anything else, I have to do it in/through my bug net, which can be more than annoying at times. I do however like how easy it is to get in and out of when lounging, as well as the coverage.

A bug net I would like to try is Knotty's (I think Doogie does this too.. Not sure who was first ) https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tatched-Bugnet
    I think this is more than simple to make and if it works, prob the best mix of all worlds of the simplest/lightest/decent coverage. If anyone else uses or has used this style, I would love to hear more feedback on it.. But coming from Knotty and Doogie, I can't imagine it to be a problematic solution
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast