Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I'll add that when I did my thru-hike attempt I started in January and carried a ground cloth with the thought that if it ever got so cold I couldn't hang anymore I would go to ground. Weighed less than an ounce and I never used it. I made it down to 6F that trip and was warm and comfortable with the rig I have.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle
    Copied from Smoky Mountain National Parks rules &regulations:

7. Backcountry permit holders may not use tents at shelters.

8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

Nevermind going to the awful, "cold and dirty ground" (where others merely pee) for the reason of not being able to find suitable trees....These rules cause concern for me and who knows if/when places like the Smokies will crack down on hammocking due to tree strap concerns or change the rules to negatively impact hammock users. For those that are not just drive-up camping....ending a long day of hiking at a shelter may just mean you have to sleep like everyone else there...on the hard wood floors, so a backup pad is probably good idea.
    'I Want to See Mountains Again, Gandalf!'

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I used to use 1.1 oz. hammocks, but after tearing a couple, I just can't do it. While I'm currently using a 1.4 oz. PolyD hammock, I'll probably move up to 1.6 ounce just to have that warm fuzzy.
    I recently switched from 1.1 hammocks to 1.6. I find them much more comfortable.

I used to be all about being as light as possible, now that my other major items are so light, I find I don't mind adding a little weight back in here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Dragon View Post
    Copied from Smoky Mountain National Parks rules ®ulations:

7. Backcountry permit holders may not use tents at shelters.

8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.
    The only shelters are along the AT. everywhere else is a campsite.

The AT rules are you must stay IN a shelter, unless full, and Thru-hiker's must move out to make room.

Elsewhere it's just designated sites you must reserve and stay at.

The hammock specific rules are really just to avoid damage to shelter's. Otherwise hammocks and tents follow the same rules. I don't see that changing, as the rules are in place to cause all camping impact to happen in a small area. They've basically given those areas up as lost as far as LNT is concerned.
    Last edited by Boston; 10-07-2015 at 01:25.

Hammock
    Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I recently switched from 1.1 hammocks to 1.6. I find them much more comfortable.

I used to be all about being as light as possible, now that my other major items are so light, I find I don't mind adding a little weight back in here and there.

The only shelters are along the AT. everywhere else is a campsite.

The AT rules are you must stay IN a shelter, unless full, and Thru-hiker's must move out to make room.

Elsewhere it's just designated sites you must reserve and stay at.

The hammock specific rules are really just to avoid damage to shelter's. Otherwise hammocks and tents follow the same rules. I don't see that changing, as the rules are in place to cause all camping impact to happen in a small area. They've basically given those areas up as lost as far as LNT is concerned.
    There are actually at least 3(i just quickly reference my smokies trail map) shelters that are not on the AT.
    'I Want to See Mountains Again, Gandalf!'

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Yes, Balsam Mtn Trail being one I believe

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    We did the south half of the Smokes along the AT a few years ago. I was the only "hanger" in the group. We had a lot of company at the shelters and they tended to fill up quickly in the evenings. I just waited until right before I was ready for bed to set up and essentially stealth camp. I was breaking the rules and I think they're kind of stupid. I won't do the AT in GSMNP again for this reason (and the ton of aggressive bear activity due to sloppy hikers).

I normally bring a pair of 20"x30" thin foam pads. These are my combo sit pads and foot/shoulder insulation. Those are about my only fallback for insulation if I had to go to ground. I normally have a small section of Tyvek that's my "clean" spot to change clothes and such, basically a door mat. This would serve as a partial ground sheet in the case of ground dwelling. Knock on wood....in the 10 years I've been almost exclusively hanging, I've never had a reason to go to ground.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Dragon View Post
    There are actually at least 3(i just quickly reference my smokies trail map) shelters that are not on the AT.
    I was going from my general memory, so of course I could be somewhat mistaken. The point is, however, the majority of the GSMNP can be camped at without the shelter rules in effect. The highest numbered camp site I could find was 113. So if 3 sites out of 116 (plus the A/T shelter's, and developed camp sites) you can't camp at, I think you're still doing pretty good. My guess is those shelters are at really popular area's where they want to limit impact as much as possible, just like the AT.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123