Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Going to ground without a pad

I've been a ground dweller for years and this whole "in the air" thing is great, but I'm a little confused on the best approach for being able to go to ground if necessary. It seems from the reading that I've done that pads inside the hammock are not very popular and under-quilts seem to be a better approach anyway. If I had tarp/hammock/quilts out on the trail and needed to go to ground, I likely wouldn't have a pad with me and the ground dweller in me shudders at the possibility. How are folks coping with that situation? Are folks packing a pad with them that they don't use normally (seems like a horrible waste of weight) or are you gathering material when the situation demands?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For starters 99% will not go to ground and most of us don't consider it an option. New folks think it's a big thing to figure out. The posts here on the forum about how to go to ground are posted by folks that have not been at this very long. The die hards don't consider the ground a viable option. There are times that creativity is needed to make a hang work. More searching to find trees or other structures to hang from but finding and making a unique hang work can be part of the fun/challenge.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I usually have a thin, torso-sized pad to fold up as a sit pad or to supplement my UQ. It wouldn't be comfy on the ground but, on top of leaves I might sleep a little.

This thread makes me want to carry an extra whoopie or strap just in case of failure! A tear in the hammock would be bad news, though. Not the end of the world, but a miserable night would be on the menu.

Hammock
    Netty, DW Nylon D,
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    G.Pepper 0 Inc 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    I think suspension failure would be the main factor in "having to go to ground". Even if you inspect your straps before each trip, a failure can still happen. An extra 1" strap would be a cheap/low weight insurance policy. Some people use pads in a double layer hammock so they're carrying their insurance policy with them.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG 10' Camo Tarp d
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    evoloop
    I have alway an EV pad 80gr. (r-value 2.0) and a Borah bivy 140gr. with me.
    But this will be big solution: Hammock-Stand-using-hiking-pole-it-can-be-done

IMG_5974.jpeg
    Last edited by gos; 10-05-2015 at 10:44.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    For starters 99% will not go to ground and most of us don't consider it an option. New folks think it's a big thing to figure out. The posts here on the forum about how to go to ground are posted by folks that have not been at this very long. The die hards don't consider the ground a viable option. There are times that creativity is needed to make a hang work. More searching to find trees or other structures to hang from but finding and making a unique hang work can be part of the fun/challenge.
    +1. I'm in this camp.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For my hammock brethren,

The first rule of Hammock Club is: You do not go to ground.

The second rule of Hammock Club is: YOU DO NOT GO TO GROUND!

The third rule of Hammock Club is: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, it's nap time.

The forth rule: Only one hammock to a set of trees.

Fifth rule: One hammock at a time fellas.

Sixth rule: No sharp objects or shoes in the hammock

Seventh rule: Naps will go on as long as they have to.

Eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Hammock Club....You have to nap.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Never once even thought of going to ground in five years. Most of the time I have no problem finding trees, though there has been the occasional difficulty. If worse comes to worst, I have a pad in my GoLite backpack that provides structure to the frameless pack.

There must be a bazillion "What if I have to go to ground?" threads on HF, so it obviously concerns people. However, I was about to give up camping entirely due to the pain and misery associated with ground dwelling. I would need a catastrophic hammock or suspension failure to end up on the ground again.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Never once even thought of going to ground in five years. Most of the time I have no problem finding trees, though there has been the occasional difficulty. If worse comes to worst, I have a pad in my GoLite backpack that provides structure to the frameless pack.

There must be a bazillion "What if I have to go to ground?" threads on HF, so it obviously concerns people. However, I was about to give up camping entirely due to the pain and misery associated with ground dwelling. I would need a catastrophic hammock or suspension failure to end up on the ground again.

Same here. Over 6 years of hanging and I will not lay on the cold dirty ground....as I have noted many a time before... I pee on the ground.

I have camped all over the west, I have hung from rocks, I have hung from shelters, vehicles, 2x4 posts, 2 or more of us tied off to just a pair of trees and sought out small stands of trees in the desert.

I know how to tie knots and if a suspension were ever to self destruct it would have to be pretty bad for me to not be able to knot something back together to hold through the night.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yeah, that all makes sense and I'm not too concerned about finding a place to hang. Equipment failure is the main motivator here (probably hammock as I can fashion the necessary pieces for a temporary suspension out of bear line/etc). I don't expect it to be a likely scenario, but I like to be as prepared as possible within reason. I also considered carrying one extra small hammock (a nano 7, probably) between the group for lounging and/or as a backup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast