Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gfortune View Post
    Yeah, that all makes sense and I'm not too concerned about finding a place to hang. Equipment failure is the main motivator here (probably hammock as I can fashion the necessary pieces for a temporary suspension out of bear line/etc). I don't expect it to be a likely scenario, but I like to be as prepared as possible within reason. I also considered carrying one extra small hammock (a nano 7, probably) between the group for lounging and/or as a backup.
    My "go to ground" set-up is a Z-fold ccf torso pad (20"x40") that doubles as a sit pad, foot insulation (I use 3/4 quilts), and the frame of my pack.

In a go to ground situation, the pad is my torso insulation, and my backpack is under my feet. I'll also carry a polycryo ground sheet.

It's important to mention that this set up is only used on a PLANNED basis. These are not things I carry in case of emergency, but for when the trip itself demands it (like spending a night camping above tree line, for instance).

Although, honestly, the only "extra" from my normal kit is a slightly larger pad, and the ground sheet.

Images
    I've never needed to go to ground and agree with what others have already said.

But.... watching some PCT videos and others out west it does seem like there's going to be regions of the country where being able to do it might be worthwhile.

For my thru-hile of the CO Trail I carried a foam sleeping pad that I cut down to size. It is enough to cover my torso, I then use my clothing bag under my butt, my pack under my feet, and my UQ still in stuff sack as a pillow. The biggest improvement to my ground game came with a suggestion to put my pack in my foot box to reduce drafts. Worked great and kept me super warm the 4-5 nights of the trail that I either couldn't find trees or couldn't find my straps. I also use the pad to sit on pretty much every night around the fire so it isn't completely extra weight.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I usually have a small pad that I use as structure in the G4 pack I carry and in camp as a pad for my bear canister in addition to a mat for those times where I take a walk in the middle of the night. In a pinch I have used it for going to the ground, if only to take an edge off the constant reminder of how much I dislike going to the ground.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    New folks think it's a big thing to figure out.
    Welllll… that would be me.

My fear is that a tiny nick in the thin nylon that is my hammock might catastrophically fail with a big rip, leaving me unable to use said hammock. Ripstop or not, my 6'3 250 lb frame is probably gonna to keep that rip going until my rear is on the ground.

So… is this not an issue? Sure I'll be careful about sharp objects, but accidents sometimes happen. What if it happens on day 2 of an 8 day hike? Is this an unreasonable thing to worry about? That is a sincere question.

I can't tell you how many plastic patio chairs I have busted just by sitting down! Things sometimes break. I have trouble trusting a lightweight hammock even though I have been in one many times. but, admittedly, not as much as most of y'all.
    Last edited by BanjoPicker; 10-06-2015 at 14:51.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPicker View Post
    So… is this not an issue? Sure I'll be careful about sharp objects, but accidents sometimes happen. What if it happens on day 2 of an 8 day hike? Is this an unreasonable thing to worry about?
    There's an old saying: we pack to our fears. Some folks never get past their fears. I can tell you that I carried a machete for 40 years because I really thought I needed it. Then one day I summoned up the courage to leave it at home - it hasn't hit the trail in three years.

Likewise, I'm sure there are some folks who will always carry a spare hammock - and won't mind the weight. I used to use 1.1 oz. hammocks, but after tearing a couple, I just can't do it. While I'm currently using a 1.4 oz. PolyD hammock, I'll probably move up to 1.6 ounce just to have that warm fuzzy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I am one of the oddballs that likes a pad in my hammock, so going to ground is not a huge issue if it happens. But it is a very rare occasion when this happens, and it is usually from a hammock experiment failing while out on a trip. The biggest issue I have had when this happens is not having a ground cloth to go under my pad when I do have to go to ground.

Just don't experiment with hammocks and use a proven system and it will likely never happen that you need to go to ground.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have slept on the ground and hardly anything beats a big, high pile of leaves (if available).
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' X 9'6"
    Images
    Although I currently have a pad, only because I haven't quite saved up for the right UQ, I would have never thought of this to be a problem. Interesting brain teaser.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I am fairly new to hammock camping, and really camping without a car in general, and it never occurred to me that I might have to go to ground. I use a 1.9 oz hammock and I've seen my kids horse around in theirs with no negative results. So I figure so long as I don't take a running start and jump into it I'll be fine. It probably helps that I made all of my equipment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast