WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

DIY UQ update

Hey guys, I made a synthetic UQ loosly based on the KAQ design. (I moved the darts to the center since I have a speer, and changed the suspension to more of a Yeti design. On my next one, I will have the darts slightly off set from each other, maybe a foot?) I used some left over insulation from another project (I believe it was 2 layers of .75 ) I used some really cheap walmart breathable ripstop for the shell. Since this was a prototype, the sewings not the best, but the next one will be better! This past weekend I was on the Pinhoti trail in Alabama, and got to try it out. During the night, temps dropped to the low 50's, and the wind picked up---really strong wind, so I would probably say the temps dropped into the low 40's with windchill. With the UQ, and my version of a garlington insulator, I stayed pretty warm all night! (I sleep cold, and in a similar situation this spring I froze my butt off!) Any way, I was really impressed with the difference an UQ makes-----it really does work, and no condensation! Sorry no photos yet, and I havnt weighd it---------but its pretty lite! All I did was sew a nylon ripstop envelope, put the insulation inside, sewed the edges, and quilted the insulation using yarn. For a suspension, I made sleeves on the quilt edges, ran elastic cord through them and ran them through micro cord locks, for adjustment. (the cordlocks then loop over the end knots of the hammock) Very simple, and it worked! With this rig, and some warm cloths, I think I could make it down to the high 30's pretty easily. (which is a massive improvement on what I had before, and it didnt cost me much at all to make!)
    Thanks for all the inspiration and ideas!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Nice, Stevebo. The only thing better than spending a night in the woods is spending a comfortable night in the woods. What kind of insulation did you use, and how much?
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Good job! It's an even better night in the woods when you're comfortable because of gear you made yourself!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Excellent News! I've been staring at the DIY KAQ layout for a month now, trying to decide what to do since I don't have a HH Asym...

Were the darts sufficient, or would you suggest more, smaller darts spread out?

My biggest concern with this layout is the fact that I sleep cold, and thought there might not be enough material to stay under my shoulders as I shuffle at night. (Maybe more symmetrical or coffin-shaped?)

I also have a DIY speer-type hammock.. (No velcro). Does anybody use velcro to keep their UQ in place?

Other layouts I've seen recently are egg-shaped, or even rectangular... I considered the rectangular as an easy way out, but it just seems like a waste of weight and material.

I did take a bag, and instead of darts cut out of the side, I did it like this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8822

I think I took too much material, my shoulders are a bit exposed when I lay in a fetal position...

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 10-30-2009 at 23:40.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I used 2 darts, approximatly 6 inches by 8---------I put them across from each other centered on the UQ. On my next one, I will off set the spacing a little bit, maybe a foot or so, to compensate for laying asm in the hammock. For insulation, I had some .75 synthetic left over from a "ray way " quilt I made a few years ago, No idea what brand the insulation is, but I put 2 layers of it in the hammock. To hold the hammock in place, I did somthing kind of risky, but it worked good: On the hammock I sewed 2 plastic rings, one on each side, at opposite ends of the hammock. (actually a few feet from the end of the hammock.) On the hammock it self, I have velcro for the bug net installed------I very carefully took a hot needle, and melted a small hole through the center of the velcro strip, 2 holes, one on each side, one at each end. (much easier to show in a picture------Ill get one up this weekend! ) i threaded a piece of elastic cord through the hole, on the inside of the hammock I put a micro cordlock, on the outside of the hammock I made a small toggle (I used a plastic tube from a ball point pen with a hole drilled in the center) To use the system, hang the UQ under the hammock , using the elastic cords passed through the side sleeves------like a YETI. To hang the UQ slightly asym, hook the side toggles through the plastic loops and tighten the cord from inside the hammock withe the cordlock. It puts a little bit of a side load on the UQ and it will hang asym. Since the cordlocks are inside the hammock , you can adjust the asym from inside your hammock. As far as the hole in the velcro goes, with velcro, that seam/hem is really strong, and as long as the hole is in the center of the velcro, it seems to be strong enough. (kind of like drilling a hole in the center of a floor joist on a house, as long as its centered, the structrual integrety isnt compromised) Anyway, it seemed to work great! Email me if you have any questions! Oh yeah, I darted the nylon shell, but not the insulation-------it fits great, but bunches up a bit around the insulation, so next time i will dart the insulation too. Over all, it was a pretty easy project, that worked well!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts