Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

That's IT! I've HAD IT with this whole sleeping-on-the-ground BS!

I just got back from a multi-day trek into a California piece of the Pacific Coast Range, and while the details aren't important for the purposes of this thread, it will suffice to say that this will have been the absolute LAST trip wherein I slept on the ground. (I'll spare the frustrated, expletive-laced rant another time.)

I was hoping I might avail myself of your collective experiences to help select a new sleep system. I have read the official "newbie recommendations" thread, and likewise I have used the search function to seek out similar advice. However, even with these assets, I'm still having a bit of trouble making a decision based on my individual needs. This is where, I was hoping, you folks come in.

1. Weight is a major factor. Not only am I making an earnest effort to move into the realm of ultralight hiking, I usually hike with a fishing pole and often hike with a pistol (for small game)*, so my pack is already heavier than it needs to be.

2. Weatherproof properties are of high importance, too. I live in the very wet and rainy Pacific Northwest, so my sleep system needs to be able to handy nasty weather.

3. I currently have no sleeping bag; my old one has finally given up the ghost, and i need to buy a new one. As such, I am completely open to the possibility using an underquilt. In fact, because I have read in many threads about the hassle of using a sleeping pad with a hammock (not to mention the fact that my Thermarest-style REI pad weighs a ton), I'm even favoring the notion.

4. (edit: I should have mentioned that I'm about 5'11" and weigh, depending on the season, anywhere from 165-180.)

So there ya go. Suggestions? Truth be told, when I first learned about hiking/camping-specific (I had "car camped" with a netting hammock and a big, bulky Coleman sleeping bag with I was a kid), the choice seemed easy; a HH Explorer Ultralight! But once I started reading about other manufacturers, other configurations, bridge hammocks, sleeping pad problems, underquilts, overquilts, blah blah blah...! Well, I'm now thoroughly confused and unsure; help!

Many, many thanks.

GFY

*Before anybody gets all riled up, don't worry: I'm the good, sportsmanlike, ethical, conservationist kind of hunter, not the bad, dog-using, beer-can-littering, cliche redneck kind of hunter.
    Last edited by Gary from Yonkers; 10-31-2009 at 22:11.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    How much do you weigh? What's your height?

For the weight, the Warbonnet Traveler is one of my favorites. If you're worried about the wet, maybe the synthetic KAQ for an underquilt and for lots of coverage at low weight and reasonable cost, a Speer Winter Tarp. Or, spend a bit more and get a large MacCat tarp. Throw in a top quilt form the Jacks and you're all set.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to HF JFY.
    Check out Just Jeff's web page. It's a great place to look over basic info w/o being over loaded.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    How much do you weigh? What's your height?

For the weight, the Warbonnet Traveler is one of my favorites. If you're worried about the wet, maybe the synthetic KAQ for an underquilt and for lots of coverage at low weight and reasonable cost, a Speer Winter Tarp. Or, spend a bit more and get a large MacCat tarp. Throw in a top quilt form the Jacks and you're all set.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Somehow Kick *** Quilts slipped under my radar. Warbonnets had grabbed my attention, but their UQ design didn't seem too great to me. And, I was a bit dubious about the notion of using a down UQ in a wet environment... Thanks for the tip!

GFY
    Last edited by Gary from Yonkers; 10-31-2009 at 22:08.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    After re-reading your 1st post, I was probably a little hasty in just giving you a link to Jeff's site. Sounds like you've already done some homework
    A decent sized tarp is one of the first things that come to mind when you mention wet conditions.
    A larger silnylon tarp is still pretty light, & if you can spare the extra bucks, there are even lighter tarps available. Cannibal has one.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Trying to remember if any of the currently available under quilts are synthetic. Any one thinking of one?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary from Yonkers View Post
    Somehow Kick *** Quilts slipped under my radar. Warbonnets had grabbed my attention, but their UQ design didn't seem too great to me. And, I was a bit dubious about the notion of using a down UQ in a wet environment... Thanks for the tip!
    Dude, Warbonnets underquilt design ROCKS. Several here (including me) have a Warbonnet synthetic "Yeti", none are for sale. I lucked up and got mine used from someone who just wanted a new Winter down Yeti.

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Dude, Warbonnets underquilt design ROCKS. Several here (including me) have a Warbonnet synthetic "Yeti", none are for sale. I lucked up and got mine used from someone who just wanted a new Winter down Yeti.
    What!?? There's a synthetic Yeti???? I must know more...
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Dude, Warbonnets underquilt design ROCKS.
    Hmm... But since they're not full-length, do they not require a supplemental pad to keep one warm? (A recent thread wherein this point is mentioned can be found here.) The pad, being yet another thing to carry, seems like a pain in the butt. Also, as I tend to move about when I sleep, I figured the pad would shift throughout the night. Do you find these thing to be the case in you personal experience?

I actually asked about the fractional UQ thing in my original post, but deleted it 'cause I felt like the post was getting too long and I was afraid nobody would read it.

GFY
    Last edited by Gary from Yonkers; 10-31-2009 at 22:11.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary from Yonkers View Post
    Hmm... But since they're not full-length, do they not require a supplemental pad to keep one warm? (A recent thread wherein this point is mentioned can be found here.) The pad, being yet another thing to carry, seems like a pain in the butt. Also, as I tend to move about when I sleep, I figured the pad would shift throughout the night. Do you find these thing to be the case in you personal experience?
    I carry a pad no matter what...u can get a small sitting pad, mine is 5 section of a z-lite pad...u can cut an end off a blue WallyWorld pad too...cost you $9

you need something to sit on if the ground is going to be wet...and a small pad is nothing to strap to the back of your pack ....
    as for the pad under your feet...that all depends on the person...some ppl are warm sleepers and don't need it some do...you could also get a good pair of sleeping sock that are nice and thick to keep your feet warm

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to weather we get alot of rain...and snow here in PA
    a good tarp to get would be the JRB 11x10 great for rain and snow
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast