Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Question about HG's one piece cuben fiber snake skin; do you have one?

Was looking at their cuben fiber snake skin. It's a single piece design. I like the idea but have some questions for anyone who has experience with one.

1. since the whole lenght slides to one end, does it get in the way? With convention snake skins, half goes to each side so the ball or "bunch" of material at either end doesn't usually get in the way but since 100% of this goes to one end, is the "ball" or bunch bigger and therefore does it end up getting in the way?

2. This is waterproof; some argue for mesh ones like those made by Mountain Goat. They like the idea of the tarp air drying a bit. On the other hand, it might make sense to have it encased in a water proof sleeve to keep water from getting on anything else you might put in the outside pocket of your pouch. . Typically, anything I put in the outside pocket can get wet because I never use a pack cover. If I want something to stay dry, then it goes in a cuben fiber dry sack.

3. It does seem like the single piece design would work well as far as letting the air out. I think we've all experienced the balloon effect when bringing the two halves together; having to squeeze it down to get it to fit.

If you have any experience and could share it with me, I'd really appreciate it!

Gideon

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    I just got one of the Cuben sleeves with my tarp.

1). I, too, had reservations about having a 1pc sleeve all bunched up at one end. First, that means that the other end is entirely clean, and second, the Cuben sleeve scrunches up very well at the other end; it's not a problem at all, much more compact than I imagined.

2). I live in California; I'm looking forward to offering a rain report, but it might be a while. Morning dew doesn't count.

3). I roll the tarp up about 2/3 the way from one end, reach back and pull the sleeve up, roll the rest, and finish the job. No air pockets at all. I don't think I'd ever want a 2pc sleeve again.

4). You'll never have to worry about misplacing 1/2 of your tarp sleeve (don't ask....).

Hammock
    DH T-Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I have one and compared to my Hennessy snake skins it is the BOMB! Much easier to stuff back when breaking camp and fold as well.

As far as the mesh the folks that I have seen that have them say the concept is great but does not quite pan out in terms of being able to dry a wet fly or hammock because it is all bunched up and only what is on the outside of the mesh drys well. I do not have first hand experience just what I have been told happens with the mesh skins.

Hammock
    WBBB, Bonefish
    Tarp
    WBWP
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear stuff
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I own one and the "bunching up" really isn't an issue; it takes up a very small space. I like it better than the 2 piece design. You don't have to mess with the "balloon effect" and I think it drains better. It's also larger than most other snake skins so I spend a lot less time coaxing it over a wet tarp. Of course this may be due to the CF tarp I am pulling it over, I'm not sure. The draw string at the big one is great! I wrap my cord then stuff it into the sack and close the drawstring; faster to deploy and it doesn't get tangled on anything.
    So many trails, so little time...

A Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. An Optimist see the light at the end of the tunnel. The Realist sees the train. But the Engineer just sees 3 idiots standing on the tracks.
    Which one are you?

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Great input folks, thank you! An idea can sound good but hearing from someone with first hand experience is the ultimate. The weight of the CF skin is roughly comparable to the mesh ones I got from Mountain Goat so I don't see this as a significant weight savings but it sounds like an optimized design.

Thanks everyone!
    Gideon

• + New Posts