Tarp
    UQG WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    SLD Full Synth
    Suspension
    Beetles 11' Dynema

Nube Shelter - 1st double hang

Hi all -

I'm new here to the forum and to hammock camping.

Just picked it up this summer after taking my kids out and a friend let me borrow his ENO DN.
    I had planned on sleeping in our large family tent, but it was a warm night, and ended up sleeping in the hammock.

Enjoyed it so much that I thought I'd found a way simpler solution to tents, bags, pads, posts, etc.
    Went again with just the ENO to a local trout stream so that I could start early. Got into the 50's and discovered CBS.

Looked at some of the ENO supplied systems but wanted something else. Found the Nube on Kickstarter and thought it looked like an ideal solution to hammock camping.

Keeping in mind, I am the perfect audience for this product. I am new to hammock camping. I favor simplicity over tweaking. I don't mind spending a bit more upfront, for a turn key solution that works for me as I am not the best DIY (as my UQ will attest).

Tried the Nube out myself a few weeks ago just to get familiar with it. No problems - set up quickly and provided good enclosure while not being too close / plenty of room. We had a long weekend and great weather in New England this weekend so I took my son down to a camping site next to the Connecticut River to try out the 'bunk' style hanging in the Nube.

IMG_2037.JPG

SMr (makers of Nube) - offer a shorter hammock called and Xplorer to hang above the main hammock. I would not suggest it be used by a large adult male, but for kids or lighter women, it should be fine. I kept my son's hammock pretty tight but he didn't mind. Kept it about 20" away from me, which was enough to not feel too intrusive.

It got down to about 40* at around 2AM. My son was warm in a 20* synth bag just laying in his sling. I think that the person above will be warmer since they are not exposed to as much convection and they have a warm body below.
    IMG_2034.JPG

I was trying out a DIY UQ based on a Military Sleep System bag, but was only using 1 bag and had a hard time keeping it hanging below my (my fault).

What I found was this...

1. The Nube can comfortably fit 2 people, provided one of those people is on the small side.

2. Quick to set up and well protected environment, without being too small.

3. Customizable - we used a tent pole to extend one side as an awning to open up the view of the river. Bug Net was tied away so it worked like a standard tarp.
    IMG_2035.JPG

4. Gear Storage will decrease with 2 people hanging - the lower you hang your main hammock, the less height you have for bulky items to be stored below.

5. I should use the Winter Enclosure, even if it is not winter. Got below 40* at around 2AM. Wish I had set up the Winter Barrier, even though it is fall.
    IMG_2024.JPG

Summary:
    Hammock Camping seems to be a something that more and more people are getting interested in.
    When you have more new users, you need to have simple but viable solutions to help them get started.
    After all, we don't know every knot, every rope, every tarp or every sling. Sometimes we don't want to.

Any "All in One" system is going to inherently be limited to what it was designed to do.
    The Nube does a good job of providing a single package for both bug and rain protection, as well as gear storage.

It's not as flexible as other options, nor as cheap or maybe as light.
    However, I've found the advantages to be that you don't need to be a hammock camping pro to get very good results.

My son told me in the morning that before we got set up, he was a little scared about sleeping outside in the woods (first time), when I set up the Nube he said he was excited because with the lights inside it looked like a UFO. When he got settled for bed, he said he loved it because it was the most comfortable he'd ever been.

Wish I could post pictures but this posting element says I'm not allowed to.

Night All
    Last edited by mcody; 10-12-2015 at 21:28. Reason: add photo

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    a friend of mine has the Nube setup. He loves it.

I tried it out a bit about a year ago and I can see the benefits to it. But it still was a bit constricting for me. Don't know if you used the Pares hammock with the nube but for a 10ft hammock its Huge! ( very comfortable, when hung correctly, but very wide) And was quite the workout getting out of the hammock and through the outside bug net. The gear storage is a nice integrated feature as well as how well the whole system integrates together. But it just not a system that fit my needs.

Welcome to the world off the ground.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Nice write up and glad you're finding time outdoors with your family.

Always wonder why so many outdoor gear manufacturers tend to favor bright colors over earth tones.......

Hammock
    DD Camping and DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 / DD 3x4.5
    Insulation
    DD underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing + whoopies
    Rigged up my two hammocks side by side last weekend so my young son was close by on his first night out in the woods in a hammock as opposed to a tent. Only the third time I have spent a night in a hammock myself.

My tree huggers consist of climbing tape with a knotted loop at each end. I went around each tree twice with each hugger and then through the loop to secure it. I positioned each hugger so the ends came off opposing sides of the tree - by going around twice I found that this arrangement stayed in position even when we went into our hammocks. This arrangement allowed for a decent bit of space between our two hammocks - we chose pretty big trees for this reason. Our hammocks were just about touching, and we had a great night - no rain forecast, so no need for a tarp, and cold so no need for nets. If we had needed a tarp, my DD 3x4.5 would have more than covered the pair of us.

Really pleased I have managed to work out a way to do this!
    strikealight

LNT obsessive across life generally. "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." (C S Lewis)

Hammock
    WB BB-lefty-xlc & BB-normal
    Tarp
    WB Superfly,
    Insulation
    EE-Top,Yeti-Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by mcody View Post
    ...down to a camping site next to the Connecticut River to try out the 'bunk' style
    Hi mcody, done many kayak camping trips down the CT river...That site looks familiar...I'm sure we've passed it...but we usually camp at Hurd in East Haddam...where in CT are you?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UQG WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    SLD Full Synth
    Suspension
    Beetles 11' Dynema
    That site is in South Glastonbury so it's a bit north of Hurd. This is right at the edge of Portland on Tryon st. Are you going to MA hang?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I wasn't a fan of the Nube when it first came out but happy to hear it works for you.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    TX-270/Sparrow/DIY
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    Congrats on your Nube. I like how that system keeps the bug net completely away from you.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UQG WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    SLD Full Synth
    Suspension
    Beetles 11' Dynema
    Like all set up's it has it's pro's and con's.

Good:
    Not much to tinker with.
    Single integrated system provides excellent protection for you, your gear, and even another small hanger.
    Set up is quick and easy.
    Space is roomy and open.

Not so Good:
    Not much to tinker with.
    Not very light.
    Less flexible than having a separate tarp.
    Can't sleep under the sky with just bug net.

Purchased before I found this forum but still overall happy with it.
    Rained one night that I was out in the summer and had no problems at all.

I think that once I add a Darien Dream Hammock, I'll have a pretty versatile set up for the conditions I tend to go out in.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    mcody if it works for you--that's all that counts. Welcome to the fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast