Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Suspension
    Truckers hitch

What's the deal with cuben fiber tarps

I've been pricing a new tarp and have seen a couple cuben fiber options all were very pricey and having never owned one a little crazy sounding to pay that much when you can find good sil nylon options for a third or a quarter the price.....so what's the deal with cuben fiber guys is it worth it and why or why not

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    It's one of the lightest tarps you can get and doesn't stretch like nylon does. That said, I'm making a silpoly tarp to reduce the stretching issue and still keep the price reasonable, compared to cuben fiber. I personally don't like the "crinkle" factor of cuben, and they're more transparent, but technology is always changing and prices are always coming down. So, who knows, maybe I'll end up buying one someday. If your aim is to just go out and get geared up, you can't go wrong with a good silnylon or silpoly rainfly. They're light enough (certainly lighter than the 1.9 oz poly coated nylons available in most general camping supply stores!) and, more importantly, they'll still keep out the rain.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Cuben Fiber may be the perfect tarp material. Light, it doesn't stretch. and pretty strong. One of the best features is it is repairable in the field. However the price is crazy and is just got worse. Since they were bought out, they increased their prices dramatically.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    To me, it ain't worth it. To be fair, I'm not a gram counter but the benefits don't outweigh the negatives (of which there aren't many).

Pro: Doesn't stretch (but neither does SilPoly)
    Pro: Lightweight (maybe the lightest option?)
    Pro: Fairly translucent, if you like seeing above you.

Con: Better be ready to pony up some dough, 'cause it ain't cheap.
    Con: Punctures easily, but easily repaired with cuben tape.
    Con: Crinkly noise in the wind.

Honestly, I know it ain't the nicest thing to say but whenever I'm at a group hang and I see somebody that I know doesn't do much, if any, backpacking all I can think is that "There's somebody who's got more money than sense."
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Suspension
    Truckers hitch
    I'm not necessarily worried about weight my current tarp is just and old wallyworld special (in fancy blue) I'm just ready to upgrade and I'm wanting to lean toward pack space so is there a noticeable "footprint" difference as for pack space or are they pretty close?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you're a hiker (and I am), you can't beat the weight savings. My HG Winter Palace weighs 8.6 ounces. A similarly sized silnylon tarp (Superfly) weighs 19 ounces!

So does saving 10 ounces mean anything to you? It might not now, but it could in the future. When I started hammock camping five years ago, my pack weighed (for an overnighter) 50 to 60 pounds. I haven't weighed my pack in a while, but I'm guessing I carry 20 to 25 lbs. for an overnighter now. In addition to the cuben fiber tarp, I carry only what's necessary - I have HG 40*, 20* and 0* quilts for the right occasion. I have a GoLite Jam 50L pack, which is only 1 lb. 12 ounces. About the only thing I'm lazy about, weight-wise, is tarp stakes. I still carry aluminum stakes (though Santa might put some ti stakes in my stocking).

When I started hiking five years ago, seven miles was a grueling hike, and just about all I could do. Last November I did 22 miles in one day (38 in two days). I don't think you can increase your performance like that without dropping a lot of pack weight (I was slackpacking on this particular trip). Less weight means you can hike farther distances.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Godspi View Post
    I'm not necessarily worried about weight my current tarp is just and old wallyworld special (in fancy blue) I'm just ready to upgrade and I'm wanting to lean toward pack space so is there a noticeable "footprint" difference as for pack space or are they pretty close?
    Cuben fiber doesn't pack down as well as silnylon. If you're not worried about weight, it would be hard to justify cuben fiber.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Cuben fiber doesn't pack down as well as silnylon. If you're not worried about weight, it would be hard to justify cuben fiber.
    Y'all write this down: I agree with Surfer.

For the money, if you're not hiking you ought not even consider cuben unless you've been swimming in a vault full of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Y'all write this down: I agree with Surfer.

For the money, if you're not hiking you ought not even consider cuben unless you've been swimming in a vault full of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck.
    Or skiing in one...

S173.jpg
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Suspension
    Truckers hitch
    See and now I don't even want a tarp a want a vault,...I weighed my pack with everything but food and it's right at 35lbs as is and that doesn't seem to bother me to much I think the most I've done in a day was about 16 miles and we stopped for some of that good old Lally gagging action pretty flat run though. Yea ok so now the question is where to go for a 4 season tarp....I want doors and multiple pullouts

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast