View Poll Results: Integrating tarp ridgeline with suspension, is it possible?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • You're crazy, it will never work!

1 4.76%
  • You can do, AND it will be lighter!

10 47.62%
  • The only workable setup is going to be heavier than separating the suspension and tarp systems

5 23.81%
  • I know you're crazy, but I don't know whether or not this is possible.

5 23.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR

crazy idea: tarp attachment integrated into suspension system?

I was wondering if anyone has played around with integrating the tarp ridgeline into the suspension system. In theory, the tarp should always be about centered over the hammock, so hammock attachment points should be more or less static compared to the tarp ridgeline attachments. Now, usually a tarp his hung with very little or no ridgeline angle, which is, perhaps, the chief complication. This means that, if you integrate it with the hammock suspension, at first the tarp ridgeline will be pretty slack, at least until you tension the guy lines and tie outs. An additional complication, is that you don't want the tarp ridgeline to be carrying a large load when you're laying in the hammock, but this could be avoided with clever use of an additional zing it ridgeline for the tarp, and clever use of tensioners. The hammock would then use soft shackles and UCRs so that the tarp + suspension could be set up in the rain (with nano-no-see-um tarp skins) and then the hammock attached once the tarp is in place. (I plan on keeping my hammock and quilts in a water-resistant bishop bag stuff sack, and tarp + suspension in no-see-um skins.)

How crazy is this idea? Has anyone tried it? Were you able to save some weight?

BTW, I'm obsessed with UCRs. I use them for everything. No point doubling back your hammock suspension, tarp suspension, etc.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    That's how Hennessey hammocks are designed. It causes the tarp to sag a bit if the hammock is hung at less than 30 degrees.

Here's a video from Derek on that.
    https://youtu.be/aSUn6zPuyFU

Have fun playing around with your setup. That's the most fun part of hammocks... tweaking.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hennessey does this on their default setup. See the ultimatehang.com for some improvements on the idea.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    This is how HH attach their tarps to their hammocks. A few people do this, but most keep them separate. A few problems you run into is a taught tarp without you in it and then a more slacked tarp when your weight pulls the suspension down just a little. Another risk you run is putting too much stress on your tarp. I once had a failed pullout on a HH hex due to stress from this setup. There are ways it is simpler bc it's less to setup, but I like the freedom of independent lines. If you do them enough, setting up becomes less than minutes anyway
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I never could stand the HH tarp hanging off (well, sagging off) the ridgeline. While Derek Hansen at The Ultimate Hang thinks that hanging it with shock cord is an improvement, I don't. I'll stick with independent tarp suspension.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Here is a link to one I played with for awhile. Has it's advantages but I'm much happier, and lighter, with a CRL and dutchware for the tarp. Hammock hung with Dutch'es kevlar straps and speedhooks on amsteel

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nother-UCR-SLS
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like my tarp being independent so that I can set it up first before I even get my hammock out. If its raining I always pop my tarp up first and relax, organize, or cook under the tarp. I have also used my tarp in the middle of the day to wait out a really bad rain storm. it's nice to not have to worry about your hammock when all you really need is the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    I like my tarp being independent so that I can set it up first before I even get my hammock out. If its raining I always pop my tarp up first and relax, organize, or cook under the tarp. I have also used my tarp in the middle of the day to wait out a really bad rain storm. it's nice to not have to worry about your hammock when all you really need is the tarp.
    Yes, that is certainly an issue: My proposed solution is to have soft-shackles on the hammock, so it doesn't get pulled out of the pack until the suspension and tarp are already up.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    So I took a look at Derek's (ultimate hang) HH tarp tensioning video, and at olddog's UCR SLS video, and I'm more and more convinced that I can put something light and convenient together. My order for suspension parts (zing it, dynaglide and amsteel) from Dutch should arrive this week. The first order of business will be to make some soft-shackles to put on the ends of my two gathered end hammocks, and on the ends of my tree straps. After that, I'll be toying with UCRs and integrating the ridgeline with the UCRs. I'll keep you update with my progress.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I never could stand the HH tarp hanging off (well, sagging off) the ridgeline. While Derek Hansen at The Ultimate Hang thinks that hanging it with shock cord is an improvement, I don't. I'll stick with independent tarp suspension.
    I notice every time Derek's name is mentioned you make a point to state how you disagree with him. What gives?

Legit curious, not attacking or trying to start a fight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast