Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Multi Use Tarp - Recommendations please.

I have a DIY homemade 11' hammock that I use with a hennessey hex tarp in warm weather and a clark TX-250 with a vertex tarp that I use in colder weather. I have been thinking about getting a cuben fiber tarp made that could also be used on the ground if I had to go there. The hennessey tarp has a ridgeline length of about 12 feet I think and the vertex ridgeline is about 10.5 feet.

What do you guys think would be a good sized tarp that would work well for both hammocks and would also work well for ground use if necessary. My first thought is an 8x8 as a diamond or maybe a 9x9. I really like the vertex, but I think its probably too short for my 11' homemade.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Maybe my first post is too confusing. I want to get a custom made CF tarp made that will adequately cover an 11' hammock or adequately cover a clark that is about 10' or also work fairly well on the ground (if needed). Three separate uses. The point is a lighter tarp so making it huge isn't what I want to do.

I'll probably go with a flat tarp or flat tarp with beaks from this guy.... http://bearpawwd.com/tarps/flat_tarps.php

The challenge for me is the coverage for the 11' hammock since you sleep on the diagonal. I just don't have a feel for what it takes to get coverage for this hammock since I have never been in a hard rainstorm in it.

The best solution that I can think of is a square 8x8 or 9x9 tarp pitched in the diamond shape. My concern is that it will leave the ends of the 11' hammock too exposed. I've already looked at the sticky that diagrams all the different tarp shapes. Its a great resource but it doesn't really help me

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If it helps you, I have a 10x10 square, flat BCUSA tarp with an abundance of tie outs which I use in a multitude of ways including covering an 11' Dutchware hammock. When covering the 11' hammock I do hang the tarp on the diagonal. When I am covering my 10' or less hammocks, I use A frame with Grizzbeaks I got from 2QZQ.

I have also used it on the ground in at least 6 different configurations. I have also used it as a cover for a dining area.

Just to be clear the 10x10 is not cat cut.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    If it helps you, I have a 10x10 square, flat BCUSA tarp with an abundance of tie outs which I use in a multitude of ways including covering an 11' Dutchware hammock. When covering the 11' hammock I do hang the tarp on the diagonal. When I am covering my 10' or less hammocks, I use A frame with Grizzbeaks I got from 2QZQ.

I have also used it on the ground in at least 6 different configurations. I have also used it as a cover for a dining area.

Just to be clear the 10x10 is not cat cut.
    Thanks. That gets me started. I'm going with a flat cuben fiber tarp so it wont be cat cut. Bear paw,s tarps have a huge number of tie outs. I like the tarps I have but I'm trying to cut my pack weight and I cant begin to afford 3 CF tarps.

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    I'm in a similar boat. I want a tarp that can keep my 11'hammock dry in really bad weather and still perform good as a ground shelter. I recently won diy supplies from Dutch, out of which I'm going to build a 8x11 rectangular tarp with four tie outs per long side. I'm hoping for this to do the trick. I've had good luck with my 10x10 tarp in the past, pitched in a-frame with one end closed off, so I think this should work fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have tried a 9x9 hung diamond style and it was not quite enough for hammock coverage (WBRR). It had cat cut sides - straight sides would have given better coverage. I think a 10x10 with straight sides and lots of timeouts would serve you well (that's what I am considering to replace my Superfly). BearPaw Wilderness and DD Hammocks both have some good videos on tarp setup with square tarps. On the ground especially, cat cuts are less desirable IMO. A square tarp offers more pitching options than a rectangle or a hex, again IMO.
    Just lending support to your decision...
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I have tried a 9x9 hung diamond style and it was not quite enough for hammock coverage (WBRR). It had cat cut sides - straight sides would have given better coverage. I think a 10x10 with straight sides and lots of timeouts would serve you well (that's what I am considering to replace my Superfly). BearPaw Wilderness and DD Hammocks both have some good videos on tarp setup with square tarps. On the ground especially, cat cuts are less desirable IMO. A square tarp offers more pitching options than a rectangle or a hex, again IMO.
    Just lending support to your decision...
    Yeah, I sort of know by intuition that a 10 x 10 on the diagonal will be fine. The problem with a 10 x 10 on the diagonal is the 14 + foot distance you have to find between trees. I think the long ridgeline length would really limit you. Knowing that a 9 x9 didn't work for you is helpfull. Thanks.

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    One thing to remember about CF is the max width is only 54", about 52" when edged and seamed. So your 10' tarp will only be about 8' 6" wide. Unless you have a third piece used which will increase the cost by atleast 1/3. Hammock Gear make some great CF tarps with ridgiline length from 10' to 12'. I have the 12' with doors and its a great tarp my my XLC setup. Good for three seasons, and some winter hanging, you just have to watch for wind and rain together.

• + New Posts