WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps

WBBB vs Thunderbird/Sparrow

Has anybody gone from a WBBB to a Tbird, or vice-versa? I have a WBBB 1.7 double and I love it. But...I love the new Sparrow design. Being able to reach out or get out of either side sounds great. I also like the being able to take off/on the bug net or cover. Is the Tbirdor sparrow as comfortable or more or less? I know there wont be many comparisons to the Sparrow since its new...

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I went from a WBBB to a TBird and simple diy gathered end, BUT I'm 6'0 tall and I had the older 10' WB AND my TBird is 11' and wide.
    I just recently sold my BB and it was very hard to let go. It was a very comfortable hammock, especially since it was 10' long- I was surprised how comfortable it was each time I pulled it out for a test. Ultimately there were several reasons I stopped using it. First, I found I was much more comfortable in an 11 footer-no particular reason, just was. Once the wider hammocks came out, that sealed the deal (I found 64"-66" width to be perfect). Next, I found I wasn't out much in the summer/buggy weather, so the bug net was often just added weight. Finally ease of use. I love the simple gathered end design of the TBird. It is really nice to leave the net and cover behind. I always reach out with both hands to check/adjust the quilt after settling in. The Top cover is great as well, I usually use it 1/2-3/4 of the way up in the cold and find it easy to adjust.
    I have found other ways to work without the shelf (which wasn't ideal since I typically wouldn't stake out the BB when I wasn't using the net.)
    The TB is a bit heavier with the zippers and extras but not by much.
    Miss the WB, but realized it would not be getting any use anymore. If it had been an XLC, it might have been a different story.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I went from a XLC to a Thunderbird and couldn't be any happier, with the peak shelf addition and a beverage pocket added i have plenty of on board storage as well as i can leave the net or topcover home when i don't need it, the extra width makes a world of differance to me, very comfortable.
    I had the sparrow at the fall Mahha and it seems to be just as comfy as the Tbird,,, keep in mind that you still get to choose the fabric and length that you want, very customizable.
    IMO,You can't go wrong with a Dream Hammock,, once it tried one i knew right away that the Thunderbird was the one for me.THUNDERBIRD.JPG

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Dumb question from a short person, which hammock is easier to exit? I can not get out of my beautiful T. Bird. I very much want to try a Blackbird, just not sure if I will be able to exit without help!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    Dumb question from a short person, which hammock is easier to exit? I can not get out of my beautiful T. Bird. I very much want to try a Blackbird, just not sure if I will be able to exit without help!
    Too bad you live way out there on the left coast. We could meet up and try em out...maybe swap. Little too far for me to drive...

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I had been eyeing up an XLC for my next hammock, but maybe the 11' Darien is what I should look at! I'm heavy, so dual layer is the path for me, but it looks like with options, they are pretty similar in price. Both are American made, right? I'd love one of the new ones, but I really don't plan on winter camping, so I don't really need the over cover, just a bug net will be fine. The option to remove it on the Sparrow and the Tbird are nice, but I'm not sure I need to jump to that level.... agonizing! I have all winter to think about it.

edit: the more I look, I wonder if the RoamingGnome isn't more the right choice for me...
    Last edited by Barren23; 10-23-2015 at 08:29.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It really all comes down to personal preference. Would you like to exit both sides and have tie out positions located in different places? Or would you rather have a shelf and footbox? Would you rather customize the fabric to look how you want or settle for olive green or brown. They both will be very comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY,Dream and Dutch
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, HG ,AHE
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You may not need a double anymore,try the 2.4 hex 70 fabric,I have a freebird made of this (I am 6' 3" and 265lb) and it is the most comfortable hammock I have tried.And I also have a Dangerbird double layer in the 1.6 hyperD XL.I find the 2.4 slightly more comfortable than the 1.6 hyperD,and the 2.4 is rated to 350 lbs.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlsnest View Post
    You may not need a double anymore,try the 2.4 hex 70 fabric,I have a freebird made of this (I am 6' 3" and 265lb) and it is the most comfortable hammock I have tried.And I also have a Dangerbird double layer in the 1.6 hyperD XL.I find the 2.4 slightly more comfortable than the 1.6 hyperD,and the 2.4 is rated to 350 lbs.
    I tried a 2.4 Hex 70 single layer and it held me just fine, I am alittle over 400.00 Lbs.
    For my own piece of mind i would stick with a DL, but i have allways like a dl because of the fact that i can use a pad in warm months and leave the uq home.
    But the single layer will hold you just fine, it's a very nice fabric.

• + New Posts