Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got a bit of a "unique" tarp recommendation question.

First off, I'd like to say that I am absolutely so happy to have found this community. I stumbled on this forum from the r/hammockcamping subreddit, and since then have upgraded my hammock set up way beyond anything i thought i'd every be able to handle. I was using the Yukon outfitters hammock with ENO hanging straps, and a large blue tarp from REI, with a bunch of different figure 9's etc. I was however, sort of disappointing in myself for not being a bit more creative and using my scouting knowledge to help me out. I just wanted to get out and hammock camp and see what all the fuss was about. After using this set up a few times I needed to find something else since that set up weighed too much, was extremely bulky, and I knew could be greatly improved upon. Fast forward to now, and I have the Dutchware 11ft netless, I built my entire suspension out of amsteel, and have more knowledge about hammock camping than i could ever imagine. And to that I wanted to thank the entire community for coming together and putting all this knowledge in one place for people to find and educate themselves, and improve their experience in the outdoors.

So now to the good part, I'm looking for a hammock tarp. But i do have a few very specific guidelines. I'm a student and a part-time worker so budget is VERY important for me. Also I'm a scoutmaster for the troop i grew up in, and earned my eagle through so having something that I can take to the ground and use as a makeshift tarp tent is very important. Also, weight is something to consider. I need something i can close the "doors" on, even if it doesn't have doors since people rig up doors using the different tie outs and the tie outs on the walls of the tarp. I've been told the Kelty Noah 12 is great but its very bulky and probably not worth it. People told me the Superfly is great but I just can't see myself being able to use that on the ground on lets the Lost Coast trail. The best one that I've been showed yet is the Oware FlatTarp4 (http://shop.bivysack.com/FlatTarp4-1TarpFlat4.htm). I like this tarp but i wanted to see if anyone else had better recommendations.

So to just sum it up here are the requirements for the tarp (listed in no particular order.)
    1) Price - Has to be sub $120.
    2) Versatility - Has to be able to be used as a normal tarp (ex. blue tarps)
    3) Weight - The Kelty Weighs 2.1lbs and that is already getting really really heavy
    4) Be able to somehow make it into a door type of set up. using some sort of center tie out set up
    5) DIY is probably not right up my alley, but if you guys do have something that isnt too difficult, I'd be more than happy to get my hands dirty.

Thank you for any of the help you guys might be able to offer me. I'm glad i found this forum. And if you aren't already a regular at the hammockcamping subbredit we'd love to have you gusy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Well, I have a Superfly but am leaning heavily towards 'going back' to a square tarp without cat cut edges. Take a look at the videos that DD Hammocks and BearPaw Wilderness have on their sites. DD are heavier but cheaper, BearPaw has silnylon and some that should fit your budget.
    Here's a link...
    http://www.bearpawwd.com/tarps/flat_tarps.php
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd reconsider the Superfly - not much out of your budget. It has a tried and true track record. If you want to try newer vendors without the track record, there's a guy on Facebook (mountain hardware gear) that might be closer to what you're expecting to pay.

The Superfly is probably the most popular silnylon tarp you can buy in the hammock world, and it's plenty robust for ground sleeping.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a Superfly and agree with SilvrSurfr. Somewhere someone posted it as a ground tarp.

My issue with the superfly is the cat cuts. It gets a bit less versatile when trying to go to ground or set up a hybrid shelter between two trees or whatever the case may be. But pretty much everyone I've asked has told me superfly.....

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardeeg View Post
    My issue with the superfly is the cat cuts. It gets a bit less versatile when trying to go to ground or set up a hybrid shelter between two trees or whatever the case may be. But pretty much everyone I've asked has told me superfly.....
    In my experience, cat cuts are pretty much par for the course for a hammock tarp. Then again, the cat cuts are so minor that it really shouldn't affect you. How's a 1.5 inch or 2.5 inch cat cut really going to affect things? It would have to be deep winter for such things to matter, and if it were deep winter, then you could build a snow berm to negate the cat cuts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    How often do you expect to use your tarp on the ground? How often will you be using it with your hammock? Is it really worth it to carry a heavier tarp for the sake of versatility on the ground?

The Superfly is the most popular winter tarp for a reason. It does everything you would want it to do as a hammock tarp, it is surprisingly lightweight for a silnylon tarp, and it is probably one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) winter tarps of that size. However, Warbonnet also offers a "ground tarp" that looks very similar to the Superfly. I think it is essentially the Superfly but without the cat cuts. It's $15 above your budget, but I think it's a good value.

Edit: I just saw that the ridgeline of the Ground Tarp is only 9' - so it's not an option for an 11' hammock...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The superfly cat cuts really are minimal. But if you want it for ground use, you might want the JRB tarp that has a center tie out.

Both are about the same price and $30 or so out of your price range (incl shipping). I wouldn't spend over $100 to get in your parameters, either go much less, or go ahead and get either of the above tarps.

For a "no-sew" tarp, you can get Tyvek and duct tape it together and use grip clips for tie outs.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Hk2001 has a nice rectangle tarp for sale right now.... It would only need a couple of tie outs added to fit your needs.... Check it out.... 12 ft silpoly.. I think

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Your tarp requirements are similar to mine, except I had a lower budget and went DIY. I came up with my own design that works great for me. I've never pitched it as a tarp tent though. I'm a novice at sewing but it came out ok.

[Here is my thread if you're interested.]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast