Wanting to take a stab at it....

I'd like to take a shot at making my own tarp. Seems that I'm not finding what I want commercially. Could be me, but it seems that most of the available products are very lightly (as in weakly) made. I recently saw a Superfly that I would be afraid to cinch down. I've had a catastrophic tarp failure at the start of a trip years ago, and that's something that "can't" happen again.

I'm wondering though; what kind of sewing machine do I need to deal with the fabrics that I'm likely to deal with? Will a 40 year old department store model cut it? Is a commercial machine a necessity?

I'm bewildered.... Can someone offer some advice on the subject please..... Thank you.

All that's needed 99% of the time is a simple straight stitch machine. Reverse and zigzag are nice, but not really necessary. Just about any well built machine from 50-100 years ago will work just fine---if it's in good, functional condition. If it's not, it probably won't take a lot to get it going again. All but one that I've picked up so far have only really needed some oil and cleaning. A commercial/industrial grade machine isn't necessary unless you're going to sew lots of layers and/or tough fabric.

One feature I've discovered that I really like seems to be rarely found, low gear. Running wide open in low gear on my Husqvarna/Viking 3010, the fabric is still moving at a very slow, easily controlled pace. I can't seem to get my other machines to run as slow for any length of time, and it requires constantly adjusting pressure on the foot pedal, which is distracting.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Beee View Post
    I'd like to take a shot at making my own tarp. Seems that I'm not finding what I want commercially. Could be me, but it seems that most of the available products are very lightly (as in weakly) made. I recently saw a Superfly that I would be afraid to cinch down. I've had a catastrophic tarp failure at the start of a trip years ago, and that's something that "can't" happen again.

I'm wondering though; what kind of sewing machine do I need to deal with the fabrics that I'm likely to deal with? Will a 40 year old department store model cut it? Is a commercial machine a necessity?

I'm bewildered.... Can someone offer some advice on the subject please..... Thank you.
    It doesn't take anything special. I use a new singer 4432 that I paid $140 for new. It is a simple machine without much "frills" (the last machine had a computer screen that drove me nuts). We pretty much only use a straight stitch. I've made 3 tarps out of 1.1 oz SilPoly from Ripstopbytheroll.com. I've cinched them all down pretty tight and haven't seen any sign of potential failure.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Not to discourage your DIY interest but I just want to say that the tarps offered by our cottage vendors would all be up to the task. The Superfly is a very popular tarp and for good reason. Having said that, making your own gear can be rewarding and fun. Good luck.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Go for it!

You can get beefier material made for backpacks and double reinforce all the pull outs. Triple stitch everything. Then seam seal both sides of the ridge line and all pull outs. Also use beefy gross gain on all the perimeter hems.

All the above is doable with most basic machines.

Rochester Michigan representing!

I'll say, if this is your first project, get some cheap nylon first, and make a total mock up of your tarp before you order the silnylon. You are going to make mistakes, and you will learn to handle your machine better. Don't go half way. Try to go through every step, but with cheaper materials.

I don't go to walmart, but people on here always say they can get nylon for $1-2/yard at walmart.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Beee View Post
    I recently saw a Superfly that I would be afraid to cinch down.
    I'm a DIY advocate so don't take this as a vote against making your own. But make sure you understand the processes and needs before you get too involved in chasing your tail. If you would not want to cinch down a superfly because of its Lightweight construction then I would wonder how you try to cinch down any tarp. The superfly is made with excellent quality materials and excellent level of craftmanship. I would be concerned that any tarp you make out of similar materials would present the same concern for you. You need to balance the concern for weight with the concern ofr durability. 1000D ballistic nylon is not going to rip if you crank it down, but you won't want to carry that thing 30 feet from the car to the campsite either. what caused your catastrophic tarp failure? Figure that out before you invest more time and money in anything else.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    As others have said straight stitch and reverse and you are good to go.
    One important thing IMO. Keep your sewing projects in webbing to a minimum. Most machines can do the job but it is tough job and household machines are not made for it. There is a reason industrial machines are made beside the speed.
    Older machines are often more robust from a technical point of view because they have gears made from steel vs. the newer with plastic gears.
    I would also recommend buying a known brand. Its easier to get spare parts if you need them.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts