Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    I just freeze
    I got it set up last night in what used to be the dog kennel.

Set up wasn't bad at all. I'm planning on replacing the stock line with whoopie slings, so I didn't use the mitten hooks, just the hooks on prussiks for the tarp, which actually worked quite well. I did use the space blanket. I wore socks, a hoodie, and a pair of cargo shorts. Top insulation was one of those light weight thermarest tech blankets. I actually took two tries to go to bed:

Try one was about 2 hours, I slept on and off but I was too hot. I could feel the heat being reflected back, and I was so toasty it was uncomfortable. I went back inside for a couple hours to hang out with my sister who is home for Halloween, and then retired for round two.

Round two was better... And at the same time not. I switched my socks for shorter lighter ones. Still used just the tech blanket. Slept comfortably until 5:00. Full disclosure: I'm a morning person, and when I'm camping I usually wake up around 5 or 6. When I'm not camping I usually set my alarm for no later than 6 usually closer to 5, and with daylight savings my body was telling me it was an hour later than my watch was.

Also worth noting is that I have hypothyroidism, and so I'm more cold in the mornings than I am usually throughout the day. Although I was a little chilly when I woke up, that's kind of normal for me, and I am confident that if I had been wearing the clothes I usually wear when hiking, I would have been toasty.

The temp was 50*F when I woke up, but I'm not sure what the low was that night.

Overall, I am very pleased with the system and think that when I use it in the woods, I'll be just fine, especially if I upgrade my top insulation a little or throw a little more material under the pad.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWithAMouth View Post
    Overall, I am very pleased with the system and think that when I use it in the woods, I'll be just fine, especially if I upgrade my top insulation a little or throw a little more material under the pad.
    Solid. You can continue to "throw" stuff under the pad if you want to go colder. In this video Shug and I made years ago I took mine down to -26F, albeit with everything I had in the undercover. It really is a cost-effective solution, and after all these years I still consider it the best solution for long-term wet conditions. If I was to do a through-hike today on the SHT or AT I'd take my SS, not my UQ.

Happy hanging!!

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123