Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I'd probably be interested in the doors option for my MacCat Deluxe. I do like the 2Q prototype version posted on the site here but am not sure I'd want full zipper closure. This would help keep the cost down too I'm sure. If you could get full closure still or close too it by being able to kind of overlap the doors that would be cool enough. Maybe a little omni tape sewn on the doors too would be cool.
    Agreed, we had that idea also. The overlap method would be less expensive and provide various tarp angles. The question then is...how much overlap? I often use my leki's in "awning" mode and a little more overlap would still provide side coverage to a degree.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    2Q's, You can put me on a list for doors on an OES Ultra in SpinnUL. The doors need not be removeable...in fact, I would prefer they not be removeable. Need not necessarily be in SpinnUL, either. You may remember my HH with doors (you can see them in my gallery)...that's the kind of doors I think is best. I do want them to allow a good tight pitch on both the doors and the tarp, and the cat cut adds an element of complexity that needs the skills of someone like you (or ZQ!).
    Are you thinking sil on a SpinnUl tarp would be acceptable? How about color match? Is that a concern?
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    BTW, Just read in another thread that Brian at OES is planning to work on doors for his tarps. Therefore, the mod biz would be limited to existing tarps and then only if Brian doesn't offer that service also.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

OES door mods

2Q', while you're tabulating results, I have not yet purchased the tarp of my dreams.

I don't know if the HH Hex with doors is made in the USA, but if I could manage price and quality, my wish list would be to have a SpinnUL (or equivalent) 10' X 10' tarp with attached doors.

I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

I'd be happy to field test any tarp designed for a woman under 5' tall.

Carrying less weight is certainly a consideration, but ease of set up and reliable protection is more important to me.

Thanks for taking the initiative on this topic.

JJ
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

I have a Macat DLX SpinnUL. I would VERY MUCH like to have a fixed spinnaker "door" on one end and possibly a version a Griz's removable beak for the other end. Having a fixed door on the head end would allow you to pick two trees that place your tarp ridgeline at about a 45 degree angle INTO THE WIND, with the hammock head into the wind. You'd have to have a clockwise wind change of over 90 degrees before you'd have wind blowing in the other end of your tarp. With a Macat, the best protection is afforded with the tarp ridgeline at right angles to the wind, a 45 degree shift in either direction can allow a little windblown rain in the ends of your setup. I realize this is usually only a nuisance but not always. The fixed door would provide bombproof coverage for a pack hung behind/inside it.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Agreed, we had that idea also. The overlap method would be less expensive and provide various tarp angles. The question then is...how much overlap? I often use my leki's in "awning" mode and a little more overlap would still provide side coverage to a degree.
    I wouldn't think you'd need anymore than a 1/2 inch of overlap on the door closure.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    BTW, Just read in another thread that Brian at OES is planning to work on doors for his tarps. Therefore, the mod biz would be limited to existing tarps and then only if Brian doesn't offer that service also.
    Good point. Just saw that today too. Of course it still may be worthwhile for you to offer the mod though if it's not too much of a pain to produce. You know there are plenty of MacCat's out in the field and probably a fair number of folks that would like to add doors to save a little cash from purchasing a separate tarp.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I wouldn't think you'd need anymore than a 1/2 inch of overlap on the door closure.
    Remember that the closure is affected by the pitch angle of the sides of the tarp. The wider the tarp, the more door material there has to be for them to meet.

I suspect that any door design will simply need to be based off of a given reasonably steep tarp pitch.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I have a Macat DLX SpinnUL. I would VERY MUCH like to have a fixed spinnaker "door" on one end and possibly a version a Griz's removable beak for the other end. Having a fixed door on the head end would allow you to pick two trees that place your tarp ridgeline at about a 45 degree angle INTO THE WIND, with the hammock head into the wind. You'd have to have a clockwise wind change of over 90 degrees before you'd have wind blowing in the other end of your tarp. With a Macat, the best protection is afforded with the tarp ridgeline at right angles to the wind, a 45 degree shift in either direction can allow a little windblown rain in the ends of your setup. I realize this is usually only a nuisance but not always. The fixed door would provide bombproof coverage for a pack hung behind/inside it.
    DING! DING! DING! This idea is a winner for me. I was already trying to figure out which I'd like better, so BOTH it is

Actually, I just got a DD/JRB modded poncho ... so ... there is my other end right there.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast