Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

Yet another new sock idea

I hate to beat the hammock sock and Dryducks drum to death, but I was hoping to float a trial balloon out there. FroggToggs currently has their green DryDucks ponchos on sale for $5.99. As you may or may not know, the poncho itself comes with opposing snaps on each side of the poncho.

What about taking two of the ponchos and snapping them together above the ridgline and below the hammock for a simple no mod weathershield/hammock sock? It appears that the head end can be left unsnapped for ventilation as well as entry-exit.

With cooler wet weather not too far away, I thought I'd float the idea.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It may be worth a trying. Keep in mind that a sock needs to be highly breathable or you will have some serious condensation problems. I know the Frogg Toggs material is breathable, I just don't know if it would be breathable enough.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    could work. If I ever end up in a place with winter weather again I want to revisit this.

I think weight wise there is a better benifit to having a bigger tarp with end covers to block the air movement. Then a smaller cover over the hammock to trap in the heat. Might work with my rain jacket over the ridgeline over my head.

Just some random thoughts.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    But then you'd have to carry all that weight of the EXTRA poncho!

Actually that's a really good idea, and worth trying for $12.00.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FWIW, even though the DriDucks poncho is on clearance sale at $5.99, the shipping for one poncho (to my zip code in MN) is over $10...OUCH! I believe I'll pass!

While I love internet shopping, the S&H charges are often a deal-breaker for small items/small quantities unless something is really critical and there aren't other purchase alternatives.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    FWIW, even though the DriDucks poncho is on clearance sale at $5.99, the shipping for one poncho (to my zip code in MN) is over $10...OUCH! I believe I'll pass!

While I love internet shopping, the S&H charges are often a deal-breaker for small items/small quantities unless something is really critical and there aren't other purchase alternatives.
    They're usually not a deal breaker, but a bank breaker with me. I convience myself to order more. You know, to justify the shipping charges.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

DryDucks and shipping

In regards to shipping, I did note that a single poncho was nearly 10 bucks for shipping. I also noted that shipping for 8 ponchos was also around 10 bucks... I ordered 8. I figure they are not the most durable fabric in the world, and it won't hurt to have a cache of ponchos to last me for a few years.

I'm anxious to test the concept, but I figure temps will need to be in the lower 40's before I could stand being in there.

There are several characteristics of DriDucks that draws me to try them.

1.) Cheap.. almost as cheap as a yard for ripstop in the wallyworld bargain bin.

2.) Light.. I am lame and do not have scales to quantify that guess.

3.) Breathable.. the bi-laminate fabric breathes better than eVent according backpackinglight.com tests. While I desire to keep fog and mist off of my gear, I would also like to keep my down dry from perspiration/respiration. DriDucks looks like it will let the condensation out while blocking fog and mist.

4.) Windproof and waterproof

We're all after that holy grail I suppose. Sil keeps moisture in as well as out. DWR will either let moisture in or hold too much condensation.

It's too warm here now, but it appears that the end of next week will have some lows in the lower 40's to test it out in the backyard first.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    wisenber, I just checked the frog togg site and they don't offer the green dryduck for cheap, only khaki for $12.95. Did you buy them out??
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Where did you find this? Visited the FroggToggs site, I saw the poncho price listed "as low as $5.99" However, the only available color was Khaki at $12.95 and
    after putting in cart it never showed a green option for $5.95.
    I'm guessing since you bought 8, you bought all of them

Mark
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    In regards to shipping, I did note that a single poncho was nearly 10 bucks for shipping. I also noted that shipping for 8 ponchos was also around 10 bucks... I ordered 8. I figure they are not the most durable fabric in the world, and it won't hurt to have a cache of ponchos to last me for a few years.

I'm anxious to test the concept, but I figure temps will need to be in the lower 40's before I could stand being in there.

There are several characteristics of DriDucks that draws me to try them.

1.) Cheap.. almost as cheap as a yard for ripstop in the wallyworld bargain bin.

2.) Light.. I am lame and do not have scales to quantify that guess.

3.) Breathable.. the bi-laminate fabric breathes better than eVent according backpackinglight.com tests. While I desire to keep fog and mist off of my gear, I would also like to keep my down dry from perspiration/respiration. DriDucks looks like it will let the condensation out while blocking fog and mist.

4.) Windproof and waterproof

We're all after that holy grail I suppose. Sil keeps moisture in as well as out. DWR will either let moisture in or hold too much condensation.

It's too warm here now, but it appears that the end of next week will have some lows in the lower 40's to test it out in the backyard first.
    Wisenber, et al,

For all the reasons stated the DDP is a great piece of gear.

FYI .... JRB carries the DDP as well as a JRB Weather Shield modification kit for DIYers, or you can order the DDP with the WS mod kit applied...Shipping for a DDP is $4.95, USPS Priority...Tan is in stock... green is expected back in stock next week.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast