DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies

new whoppies and tool

I finally got around to making some whoppies last night. I had made a few soft shackles, but just hadn't gotten tot he whoppies.

I have to say working with Amsteel is a good time. I was using #5 and #10 crochet needles for the shackles and they were fine for the 7/64. I was just using the Scotch Tape method and that was fine for a short bury. When I got to the 10" bury on the whoppies the tape method just wasn't cutting it. As my daughter would say "the struggle was real". I tried the picture hanger wire method and that was a bust as well. So I went into he garage and found some stainless tig wire and thought about putting a loop in the end like a needle. After some grinding and some heating with a torch I formed a loop and then deburred on a polishing wheel. Added some heat shrink for a handle and it was time to give it a try.

I gotta say this thing slides through the amsteel like it's getting paid for it. A quick tuck through the loop and a pull. All in all it was a 2 beer job.20151028_004912.jpg20151028_004018.jpg20151028_003238.jpg
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Gathered End
    Tarp
    Edge; DIY
    Insulation
    Greylock 4, DIY ++
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling ++
    Nice work...I've heard of others using welding wire, but I'm not sure I've seen it actually welding back onto itself. Cool idea.
    On a seperate note, I've never seen someone use the pop can tabs the way you do on a whoopie sling. Where did you get the idea and what are the advantages of using them instead of a craft bead? Do they have any sharp edges that could wear down the amsteel fibers?
    -dbass

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    I picked up some very small nylon washers for keeping the adjustable eyes of my soft-shackles out of trouble...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by dbass View Post
    Nice work...I've heard of others using welding wire, but I'm not sure I've seen it actually welding back onto itself. Cool idea.
    On a seperate note, I've never seen someone use the pop can tabs the way you do on a whoopie sling. Where did you get the idea and what are the advantages of using them instead of a craft bead? Do they have any sharp edges that could wear down the amsteel fibers?
    Thanks,

Honestly it was a last minute thought to use the pull tabs. It was a two beer job anyway. They were light weight, had a cool contrasting color, and most importantly (as I had no beads) available.

I took a rat tail file and smoothed out the rough edges. I'm not expecting any issues. Hell, maybe i'll start a new fad.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.