Slouch and Bug Net

So after about a year of using my hammock I found out that I had been doing it wrong. So, I found one of Shug's videos about making a ridge line and spent some much needed time relaxing (in the name of science) to find what my ideal ridge line length was. About a week ago I got out my hammock, tarp, and other items to do a mock overnight campsite in my backyard to make sure I had all my gear ready. When I set up my hammock and tarp, I put my bug net on and slipped into my hammock only to find that I was putting a heck of a lot of stress on my bug net. Quickly I got out and looked, and sure enough my hammock slouch was even with the bottom of my bug net. Now I'm still pretty surprised because I specifically got the ENO Guardian Bug Net because it had so much more slouch room underneath. So now, my question is if I were to set up another ridge line to hang the top of my bug net from where should I put it? I'd like to somehow keep it attached to my hammock because I've never really had great success with my ridge line's being connected to the trees. I also want the ridge line for my bug net to somehow be taut enough that its not sagging but at the same time not taking the stress from my main ridge line. Maybe none of this makes sense, but if you can give any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

TL;DR When I lay on my hammock I put to much stress on my bug net, How would i put up another ridge line, lower, just for my bug net, and still attached to my hammock

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never heard of hammock slouch - do you mean sag? I also don't understand how one could connect the hammock ridgeline to the trees - a hammock ridgeline is normally connected to the hammock suspension.

If you are not using a hammock ridgeline, I can thoroughly understand how that would put stress on the bugnet. However, once you install a hammock ridgeline, you should be able to eliminate any stress on the bugnet. There is really no need for an independent bugnet ridgeline with any ENO hammock, so I'm a bit confused on that point.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    How long is your ridgeline and how long is your hammock [gather to gather... laid out, no ridgeline, not hanging]?
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Are you attaching your ridgeline near the gathered ends of your hammock? It sounds like you may be attaching it too far up on your hammock suspension.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, except bears...because bears will just kill you.

The magic words are "structural ridgeline". Almost imperative if you're going to get the proper hang unless you have a ton of experience. I think this is especially true when using a bugnet, so as to not stress it. No, a SRL is not absolutely necessary but it can be really, really hard to get everything right without it for many people. The common wisdom is that this piece of line will be roughly 83% of the finished length of the hammock end-to-end. The SRL is typically attached where the suspension attaches to the hammock body. Plenty of threads exist and there are bunches of pictures out there. "The Ultimate Hang" website should put you on the right track.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Costco DYI quilts
    Suspension
    Amsteel Blue UCR
    Images
    If I read correctly, hanging the bug net from the ridge line makes the bug net too tight below the hammock?

If so, you could tie (prusik?) a "bug net ridge line" to the hammock ridge line to allow it to hang a bit lower.

Or just "extend the hooks" on the top of the bug net to the hammock RL (i.e. continuous loops or some other small piece of line). That would allow the bug net to hang lower and relieve the pressure.

Images
    I think we need a picture of your setup.

Here is the ENO bugnet

that looks like a LOT of room for hammock sag!

What is the length of your hammock and what is the length of your ridgeline (83% of hammock length)?
    Where are you attaching your ridgeline?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    That photo shows a dedicated RL for the bugnet.

No wonder Eno doesn't use a SRL on their hammocks. Once you string one up for net and the tarp that would be 3 different RL's.

Eno's been at it a long time now. Innovation is not the forte' over there.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    That photo shows a dedicated RL for the bugnet.

No wonder Eno doesn't use a SRL on their hammocks. Once you string one up for net and the tarp that would be 3 different RL's.

Eno's been at it a long time now. Innovation is not the forte' over there.
    I suppose a CRL strung under the tarp would get it back down to two, but a SRL would sure be a better way to go for not only having one but supporting the bugnet as well.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL Integrated
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah 9 and 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, CDT DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I suppose a CRL strung under the tarp would get it back down to two, but a SRL would sure be a better way to go for not only having one but supporting the bugnet as well.
    I attach the hooks on the Guardian Net to my CRL that I use for the tarp. If I wanted to speed up the setup, I could just let it drape over the SRL on my hammock. Either way, it doesn't require anything extra in my setup to use the bugnet.

• + New Posts