Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    I just got a hammock hex tarp from Mountain Laurel Designs that includes built-in LineLocs on every tieout loop. What a fantastic idea.
    FYI - Quest Outfitters sells those separately. Scroll almost to the bottom of the page - "TENT GUY LINE ADJUSTER- Lineloc 3". 45 cents apiece.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks for the useful link Jerry, and good to know. I have some other cuben and spinn tarps that I'm tempted to retrofit. I wish there was a way to attach those without undoing the grosgrain loops.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    FYI - Quest Outfitters sells those separately. Scroll almost to the bottom of the page - "TENT GUY LINE ADJUSTER- Lineloc 3". 45 cents apiece.

Jerry

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    I like those line locs ,where do you get those?

Hey, I like that idea. Couldn't you just larkslead the hair tie to the tarp and then bowline your twine or rope to the hair tie? I wonder about the strength, but that is a good idea to keep the tarp taut.
    BackpackingLight.com and ultralightdesign.com are the only two sources I know of. bpl only has a kit with the AirCore lines. Bit expensive. ultralight sells a 6 pack for ~$4. UV and temp tolerant based on the manufacture web site. Last year the locs held in winds exceeding 30mphs. Cold temps have not made the plastic brittle. Supposedly good for line down to less than 1mm. Realistically for strong grip and easy release 1.5-2mm. I use the JRB tensioner on the SWT silnylon tarp. No need for tensioner on the OES Spinn. Fin posted a DIY O-ring tensioner made from some sort of plumbing gasket. Inexpensive, light, simple, easy to replace. Should work nice.
    Noel V.

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    BackpackingLight.com and ultralightdesign.com are the only two sources I know of. bpl only has a kit with the AirCore lines. Bit expensive. ultralight sells a 6 pack for ~$4. UV and temp tolerant based on the manufacture web site. Last year the locs held in winds exceeding 30mphs. Cold temps have not made the plastic brittle. Supposedly good for line down to less than 1mm. Realistically for strong grip and easy release 1.5-2mm. I use the JRB tensioner on the SWT silnylon tarp. No need for tensioner on the OES Spinn. Fin posted a DIY O-ring tensioner made from some sort of plumbing gasket. Inexpensive, light, simple, easy to replace. Should work nice.
    I just had a brain fart here. Thinking of the hair ties mentioned earlier and then the orings mentioned here. Why not larks head an automotive oring similar to this to your tie outs, and tie off your lines to the open end of it. The rubber in the oring SHOULD keep the tension on the tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I just had a brain fart here. Thinking of the hair ties mentioned earlier and then the orings mentioned here. Why not larks head an automotive oring similar to this to your tie outs, and tie off your lines to the open end of it. The rubber in the oring SHOULD keep the tension on the tarp.
    great idea John..
    similar idea here using a plumbing O ring...works very well too
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    great idea John..
    Yes, exactly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Well, since you've found the answer (Speer) to your original question, and it seems folks are chiming in on their own favorite line - here's mine!

I buy a mini-spool of Marlow 1/12" line from Annapolis every time I buy more Amsteel line from them.
    I don't know if it is the best price/foot but I like it a lot. I am the queen of tangling lines and I've never had a problem with it.
    -Liz -

Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    Well, since you've found the answer (Speer) to your original question, and it seems folks are chiming in on their own favorite line - here's mine!

I buy a mini-spool of Marlow 1/12" line from Annapolis every time I buy more Amsteel line from them.
    I don't know if it is the best price/foot but I like it a lot. I am the queen of tangling lines and I've never had a problem with it.
    Why do you pay their outrageous shipping??

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Why do you pay their outrageous shipping??
    At the time I first bought Amsteel from them, their price was lower (even with the shipping) than other vendors.
    I've just picked up a spool of Zing-it with my current order of Amsteel from Redden Marine. So I'll see how that works out.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    great idea John..
    Has anybody used the O-rings in freezing or sub-freezing conditions?

I wonder about the effect on the material used. Some are rubber, but I remember when I used them in the lab, the O-rings I used were not rubber.

If rubber, I know that rubber doesn't hold up to well under UV light. It tends to weaken and fall apart. What I don't know is how long that takes. If it takes less than a season of hiking/camping then always check for degradation. Of course the O-rings are easy and inexpensive to replace.

If the O-rings aren't rubber then the effect of the UV is probably an unknown.

That's the main reason I stay with the polyester covered shock cord, the polyester cover protects from UV and shock cord has been used in freezing and sub-freezing conditions for a long time in other applications that groundlings are familiar with.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast