G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I did the same as animal control with the bowline -larkshead, fed the eye of the loop thru my webbing loops on the tarp, then pulled the entire length thru the eye, with another bowline loop at the end. With six feet of cord on each tie out. I can use it at six feet, or slide both loops together for three feet, as terrain/trees dictates. If needed I can do the marlin spike on the stakes as well. Simple.

For tangles, I found a few minutes of time spent during takedown saves trying to untangle the birds nest later. My next tarp will have little hairties (elastic circles) sewn to the webbing tie-outs. Presently I make a nice wrap around my fingers and tuck it in the webbing loops. Then roll up the tarp.

I figured if the line is so strong that my tarp breaks (that would not be good)or webbing and stitches are ripping out, I would make the line the weak link. I carry a little extra cord with me anyways, I can just tie on some more. Mason line is cheap, defintely not heavy, and bright for clumsy people.
    On the ridgeline I use paracord, in a different color than my outside tie-outs, makes set-up less confusing. I haven't noticed any excessive stretching, again it gives some, which I think is a good thing. My tarp stays tight on a weekend hang, without having to re-tie. String is cheap. Tarp is expensive.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Enclosed are photos of the set up I use on the OES DeLuxe Spinn. Yellow guy lines are AirCore. Overkill for strength, but very light. Ridge tie out line are JRB. Both are relatively tangle free. Found out an advantage of white line locs over black last night. Able to set up under the full moon. The Locs were visible without the need of a lamp. Cold evening. MiniLoc made it quick and easy to set up with light gloves on. Gusty winds reaching +20mph.

1st photo is the line almost at max length, 3rd photo is almost at the shortest length. Didn't follow the directions that came with the locs. The fixed loop at the tied end allows wider range of line length.
    I like those line locs ,where do you get those?

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    My next tarp will have little hairties (elastic circles) sewn to the webbing tie-outs.
    Hey, I like that idea. Couldn't you just larkslead the hair tie to the tarp and then bowline your twine or rope to the hair tie? I wonder about the strength, but that is a good idea to keep the tarp taut.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    If you wanna see a neat way to run the tarp below your ridgeline, use only 1 small fig 9 as your only piece of hardware, keep water from running onto you from the tarp, check out my thread KNOT INFO. I use 2x sliding prussics, 1 permanent bowline, and a small fig 9. Credit Teedee

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    I like those line locs ,where do you get those?

Hey, I like that idea. Couldn't you just larkslead the hair tie to the tarp and then bowline your twine or rope to the hair tie? I wonder about the strength, but that is a good idea to keep the tarp taut.
    I bought the same line locs from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/MLH-Black-Micro-...item3a53fd3f0c
    Warning: there are 6 to a pack so when you put in the quantity that's per 6 pack. How do I know, I bought 6 of what I thought was locs and got 6 packs of 6. If you PM me I'd be happy to send you a pack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dead View Post
    I bought the same line locs from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/MLH-Black-Micro-...item3a53fd3f0c
    Warning: there are 6 to a pack so when you put in the quantity that's per 6 pack. How do I know, I bought 6 of what I thought was locs and got 6 packs of 6. If you PM me I'd be happy to send you a pack.
    Been there, done that too (different product!)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Ditto that, but it was a fabric purchase- the offer was buy one get one, so I ordered what I thought I'd get, and they went and doubled the length instead of halving the price...sigh. gotta read the fine print. KM

PM sent!!............

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    For those who use Braided mason line, How do you use it? What type of knots work with it is what I am curious about.

-Ricegravy.
    I use a Slipped Buntline Hitch to my trap loops and a Rolloing hitch (Taught Line Hitch) for adjustability. It doesn't slip. I use the mason line from Home Depot that is braided not twisted, if your Taughtline Hitch is slipping either you are tying it wrong or you need to make another turn or two before finishing it off. Like I said, it holds fine for me.

To keep it from getting all tangled up I put a rubber band on the tarp loop with a Lark's Head Hitch, then I roll the mason line up and wrap the rubber band around it to keep it rolled up. I wrap the tarp line around my fingers in a figure eight pattern and it comes undone pretty easy.

I have thought about using shock cord instead of a rubber band and using the shock cord for my tensioners as well, but I haven't done it yet; just an idea so far.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

MLD LineLocs

I just got a hammock hex tarp from Mountain Laurel Designs that includes built-in LineLocs on every tieout loop. What a fantastic idea. I'm replacing my ridgeline figure 9's with micro biners to attach the tarp line to the tree, and just tension the line right at the tarp. No worries now about where to position the figure 9's on the line. For the side tieouts I put a bowline loop on one end of the line to attach to the stake and again just tension it up right at the tarp. Nice and simple.

You can find a picture of what the MLD integrated tensioners look like here (picture down at lower left):

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...86e767430e1042

A full review on the MLD cuben tarp to follow in another thread when I get it out in the field a few more times. Other nice features such as integrated hanging hooks along the ridgeline. Man, I sure love new gear!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast