Hammock
    DIY 10ft dbl layer 1.1RS
    Tarp
    Hennesey 12x10 hex
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great looking work there. I made a similar UQ with 6.0 CS. Got down to the low 30's so far with the only issue being a gap at the foot end I had to adjust for. Warm and toasty other than that. Happy hanging.
    “A taste for the beautiful is most cultivated out of doors, where there is no house and no housekeeper” - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OotN'Aboot View Post
    So with the Apex you don't need baffles and stuff like you do with down?
    Correct. Baffles in down are like quilting. It keeps everything from clumping together in one area and leaving no insulation in others. I like Apex because it also doesn't need quilting to stay put. When the edge is captured in the sewing on all 4 sides it is designed to stay in place. Quilting would actually reduce the effectiveness as it compresses the insulation along the quilt line.
    Last edited by Christo456; 11-03-2015 at 10:06.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    5.0 climashield
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Nice quilt, especially for your first project! Looks almost exactly like the one I put together over the weekend (same cameo pattern, 5 oz climashield, coyote brown interior).

Your channels look a lot nicer than mine. I used about 3" of fabric doubled over, but since I was using 2 x 2.5 oz sheets of climashield I had a hard time pinning everything together. I ended up sewing the channels separately, and then sandwiching them in with everything like you showed. For my fiance's quilt I went ahead and made the channels a bit larger so I'd have a little more margin for error.

The only thing I think I'm going to do differently is add a draft collar. I haven't seen too many people mention them with synthetic under quilts, but they seem to be popular with the down models. I figure it's worth a shot with the extra fabric and trimmings I have left over. I'm going to double over about 10" of fabric and loosely stuff it with the trimmings. I figure I'll sew it shut along the three sides, and attach it on both short ends and the long end nearest the end of the UQ - leaving the end on the inside of the hammock free to bulk up more. In the end if it's a hassle/problem I can just take it off.

Anyone have any experience adding a draft collar with climashield?

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    I haven't heard of a draft collar on an underquilt but like the concept. Is it just a thicker band on the ends that is 3-4 inches wide?

Hammock
    11' 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    5.0 climashield
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Christo456 View Post
    I haven't heard of a draft collar on an underquilt but like the concept. Is it just a thicker band on the ends that is 3-4 inches wide?
    I believe so. My only previous experience with an UQ was with a heavy poncho liner and I never had a problem with drafts (it was also summer). I saw it mentioned in another UQ thread, and it seemed like a neat idea that wouldn't be too much trouble to remove if it didn't work out.

I have a feeling that it might work better with down - since the down will probably compress better when cinching. I haven't added the shock cord for cinching yet (just the suspension on the long sides) and was planning on adding it inside the draft collar. I didn't like the 3/4s size of the PLUQ so I went for an XL model - ended up about 80" long and 54" wide.... so I have yet to see if the larger size will affect how well it clings to the bottom of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Took it out this weekend and gave it a good test. We had 40 mph gusts and rain the 1st night and while a couple of the heavier blows pulled out some heat it quickly heated back up. I'd blame that more on the tarp being set too high than the quilt. The 3rd night we got down to 27 and while the 20 degree synthetic bag on my top didn't keep me warm enough, the underquilt was warm and did its job.

I'd say about 20 is the lowest I'd take it and even then would be sleeping in a couple layers or have a wool blanket in the bottom of the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12