nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie

Hammock Innovation History

Long nights in the hammock recently got me thinking… Lightweight backpacking hammock design is evolving quickly – oh what exciting times we live in! Does a chronological list of hammock innovations, with date, design criteria and credit to the designer or designers (if known – I’ve got to admit, the credit thing is least important to me) exist? If it does, please point it out. If it doesn’t, please contribute to what I would love to see as an article here. Just to reveal my hand, I’d love to graphically see the trajectory for the number and magnitude of hammock innovations.
    These would be the suggested guidelines: 1. The innovation must be related to hammocks, hammock specific shelters or accessories. 2. The innovation can be small or large. 3. Multiple credit for design ideas is gladly granted. 4. Patents by no means required! 5. A description of the problem and the solution should accompany each innovation. 6. The innovation must have been a “good” idea at the time of first use – it doesn’t matter if the technology has since been surpassed.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The closest thing there is to that was a video that Grizz did about the evolution of the bridge hammock. (Part 1, Part 2)

There are honestly probably too many 'good ideas' that lead to cascading innovations to chronicle accurately.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I would think the Ed Speers, Youngbloods and Dave Wombles of the world would need to put that together. I have been around awhile and can't keep it all straight. So much has been done in such a small time.

Putting together a timeline would be a huge undertaking and would proly require it's own site; it would definitely have to be a group collaboration. That's a big request...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Agreed that the magnitude of such a project is daunting. It would be really cool to see it, but I can't even imagine the effort it would take.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Agreed, Speer, Youngblood Womble and also Risk would have to be in there somewhere.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I don't think anyone considered leaving them out?

But, where the oldest origins starts at would be blurry. Hammock patents from the early 1900's? Images of mayan hammocks? etc?

There have also been many people arrive at having similar setups, having followed different design paths..
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    I would think the Ed Speers, Youngbloods and Dave Wombles of the world would need to put that together. I have been around awhile and can't keep it all straight. So much has been done in such a small time.

Putting together a timeline would be a huge undertaking and would proly require it's own site; it would definitely have to be a group collaboration. That's a big request...
    none of us obviously have anything better to do... so why not? It would indeed be very interesting...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    But, where the oldest origins starts at would be blurry. Hammock patents from the early 1900's? Images of mayan hammocks? etc?
    The dude in my signature line (James Bogan) has actually done quite a bit of that research. Europeans brought them back with them from the Caribbean, whose residents brought them from the southern Americas. Although, there is some discussion of hammocks in ancient Egypt. Still, credit is generally given to the people that still use them today in central and south America. I've got a copy of a book that features Mr. Bogan and contains a lot of the hammock history, but I can't remember the name. I'll look tonight at home.

Modern designs is where it would get really confusing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I thought that hammocks were the only beds for sailors world wide in antiquity?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    I thought that hammocks were the only beds for sailors world wide in antiquity?
    European sailors did not use hammocks until after Columbus. Before that, they slept on deck, or where ever they could.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast