Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY

Bridge hammock suspension material

I have searched and have not located much info on this. I have made a bridge hammock using the HikingDad method with mule tape as my suspension. I am not crazy about the mule tape and want to make another using 'regular' 1/2" webbing. Most seem to use nylon webbing. Any thoughts on using polyester webbing? Is the stretch of nylon an issue for the bridge suspension? Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Mine is amsteel. Works well...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    Mine is amsteel. Works well...
    Did you stitch the last few inches of the body to the amateel to keep it from slipping in the channel? Think I have read that here somewhere.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Are you talking about the webbing running down the sides of the hammock body or the actual suspension going to the tree?
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Are you talking about the webbing running down the sides of the hammock body or the actual suspension going to the tree?
    Talking about the webbing running down the side of the hammock. Sorry, should have clarified. I have some Dutch bridge ends to connect to an amsteel triangle at the spreader bar.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I prefer tubular polyester webbing.

DIY Gear Supply has tubular polyester webbing that is nice to work with...http://diygearsupply.com/product/12-...bular-webbing/

It has the soft hand of mule tape but is a tighter weave that does not snag like mule tape.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 11-03-2015 at 11:26.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I've gone all the way down to 1/2" grosgrain for the body sides on my SUL bridge. I weigh 220lbs.
    I've used half inch webbing, these days I use 3/4" grosgrain. I want to say I use Kyle's stuff (RBTR) but I'm not positive.
    http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/grossgrain-ribbon

I've seen the vid but not super familiar with the hammock dad build. I do something like Grizz in terms of rolling the edges a few times before sewing. So on my SUL bridge, I use HyperD 1.0 with a 1" seam allowance. I put the half inch grosgrain "on the line" but on the SA side of it. I put in one stitch to hold it in place. Then I fold the other half inch of SA over the grosgrain, and roll it one more time and stitch three rows. So I have 3 layers of fabric and one layer of grosgrain total.

My thought on any stretch... the body of the hammock is stretching... so any stretch in the suspension seems okay. That said, in half inch the webbing put less stress on the fabric and I haven't used a single hammock of that type more than 30 days or so because I keep tinkering.

My current version uses 3/4" grosgrain and HyperD 1.6 and a similar construction.

At the ends, I always use a minimum of 1/2" nylon webbing to attach to the suspension to. I usually cut about a 7" piece that I fold in half and stitch over the sides. This gives me a 2.75-3" overlap and about a 1/4" or so open loop to feed the dogbones through. It works best when I do webbing- side- webbing (sandwich) if that makes sense.

Keep in mind this is a SGT. Rock style tip- "you're gunna die"

The only failures I've had related to attempting to hang on grossgrain as my tree straps (ouch) and sewing the half inch webbing to the body poorly in (non-sandwich) mode. Thus far... a dozen or more versions using grosgrain and webbing. Other than the grosgrain tree strap mistakes... I think I've only had 2 failures, and those were both related to my sewing not the materials.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Have you looked at Grizz's videos showing how he rolls the edges into channels and uses amsteel or dynaglide cords in them? He sews through the cord for 6" or so at each end. I like his spliced in lanyard knots for no-hardware connections (see "Gone Loopy" video). When I sew webbing (or zippers) to the edge of the hammock I end up changing the length of the edge in ways that I cannot predict, so I find cords in channels helps me make a more precise hammock.

But! Also look at all of Just Bill's suggestions. Nice to see he's still tinkering with style.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    I have looked at some of Grizz's videos. I will look for the one about rolling the edges. Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by groupertrpr View Post
    I have looked at some of Grizz's videos. I will look for the one about rolling the edges. Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated.
    I believe it's his ultralight bridge that shows that technique...
    He uses it to beef up the lighter body fabric to make the channel stronger.
    Long story short he puts another layer of heavier nylon on the edge before making a rolled drawcord type channel... watch the vid... but IIRC it's was a quick bit so it'll help to know what you're watching for. If you're using a heavier body fabric (1.9 RS) you could probably get away with using a strip of the same fabric. I believe he used 1.9 oz to beef up 1.0 oz.

The biggest thing I've found with the bridges is just to go slow and not "miss". An errant needle puncture in the non rolled area (especially in the ends) leads to a failure in the body fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast