SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Tarp for 12ft Hammock

Hey -- I'm considering getting a 12ft hammock. Why a 12 footer you might ask? Because my buddy has one that he's selling for cheap. Other than that, no particular reason. Anyone have a 12ft hammock? I'm particularly interested in learning about individuals experiences with a 12ft hammock under a tarp. What size of tarp do you use with it? Any coverage issues with a hammock that long? Thanks!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    turbominivan. First measure your hammock to get an accurate length. Then multiply .83 times inches of hammock length. This will give length of hammock ridge line(adjustable structural ridgeline). Then add a foot on both ends to keep you dry(dryer with doors). So if your hammock is 144 inches long and 83percent of 144 inches is 119.52 inches(or roughly 10 feet and you add a foot on each end for tarp overhang. You will have a twelve foot ridgeline on your tarp. And maybe have doors to close off the ends. Good luck turbominivan and get some more posts before reaching a decision.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turbominivan View Post
    Hey -- I'm considering getting a 12ft hammock. Why a 12 footer you might ask? Because my buddy has one that he's selling for cheap. Other than that, no particular reason. Anyone have a 12ft hammock? I'm particularly interested in learning about individuals experiences with a 12ft hammock under a tarp. What size of tarp do you use with it? Any coverage issues with a hammock that long? Thanks!
    I have a 12' X 72" hammock and a 12' tarp. They are slightly harder to hang, only because some otherwise viable trees are not far enough apart. But it's not too bad. It never stopped me from using it. I just pick a different pair of trees. It's also crazy comfortable.

I think the smallest tarp you can get away with is one with an 11ft ridgeline. At min you need 6" on each side. Just have to hang your tarp a bit lower that usual if it rains. But it's easier/recommended you go with at least a 12ft.

Hammock
    THC Cloud Series
    Tarp
    THC TC-Winter
    Insulation
    THC Marion UQ/ 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My hammocks are all eleven feet, and tarps are twelve. If your hang is just a little long, it's close on the coverage. Hang good and loose, ie: 83% rule, and it should cover with a 12' ridgeline tarp.
    Teton Hammock Company-
    Tarps and Quilts engineered and tested in the Teton Range, WY & ID

www.tetonhammocks.com

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I have a 12' X 72" hammock and a 12' tarp. They are slightly harder to hang, only because some otherwise viable trees are not far enough apart. But it's not too bad. It never stopped me from using it. I just pick a different pair of trees. It's also crazy comfortable.
    Thanks for your responses everyone. I especially appreciate your calculations Phantom Grappler. I did see Derek Hansen's hang calculator on a thread somewhere -- it looks like hanging a 12 footer can be somewhat challenging especially if trees aren't spaced far enough apart.

mychal -- with your 12ft tarp, is it a tight fit for your hammock or do you find that you have enough coverage? Have you ever had your hammock/tarp in a rainstorm? Any issues? I've also heard that 12ft hammocks are very comfortable which is why I'm interested in getting the longer length.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by duckyy View Post
    I think the smallest tarp you can get away with is one with an 11ft ridgeline. At min you need 6" on each side. Just have to hang your tarp a bit lower that usual if it rains. But it's easier/recommended you go with at least a 12ft.
    duckyy and Soda67 -- thanks for your help. Luckily, both of my tarps have a 12ft ridgeline, so I'm thinking I might be okay fitting a 12ft hammock with at least 6 inches on each side. I appreciate your input.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turbominivan View Post
    Thanks for your responses everyone. I especially appreciate your calculations Phantom Grappler. I did see Derek Hansen's hang calculator on a thread somewhere -- it looks like hanging a 12 footer can be somewhat challenging especially if trees aren't spaced far enough apart.

mychal -- with your 12ft tarp, is it a tight fit for your hammock or do you find that you have enough coverage? Have you ever had your hammock/tarp in a rainstorm? Any issues? I've also heard that 12ft hammocks are very comfortable which is why I'm interested in getting the longer length.
    I've tried every permutation of 11', 12', and 13' tarp with 11' and 12' hammocks. I'm most comfortable in all circumstances when my tarp is the same length as my hammock. No coverage problems at all, even in crummy weather.

I will say that I accidentally packed my WB SF (11') once with my 12' hammock, and even that seemed to provide adequate coverage...though I wouldn't want that combo in a bad storm.

It also is tempting to get a tarp that is longer than the hammock. The thing to be wary of, and this might only apply if you run your hammock suspension through a V in your tarp RL, is that you'll have to raise your tarp a little higher because of the longer tarp RL. So you would, in theory, lose a little side/bottom coverage/privacy.

Finally, that extra foot of tarp length does impact tarp weight and pack size, so if that's a concern, make sure you factor that in.

For those reasons (although the V isn't really a thing for me anymore), I go with a tarp that's the same length as my hammock, when I can.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Just made a 12 foot tarp for my 11 foot hammock works great! I have plenty of room!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    12 ft hammock in a 13 ft tarp.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast